Is Jon Snow the true hero of this series?

Davos' fingertip

Stannis will definitely be the hero. He has been portrayed as an antagonist practically the entire story up until recent events..like saving the realm from wildling invasions and putting himself in teh vangaurd against the Boltons.. Dany and Jon Snow, however, have always been in a protagonist light..Jons dead..and will stay dead. Dany will turn mad and use her dragons to burn down the world. Thats just the nature of the author. Whoever people think the hero will be..the opposite will be true.

Stannis seems to be the anti-hero. He's the guy who is willing to do whatever it takes to reach his end goal, including resorting to sorcery. His unyielding nature and determination to get the crown at all costs will be his ultimate downfall as he turns down an increasingly darker path to get what he wants.

If Jon is dead and staying dead, then that leaves Dany as the only hero left to vanquish The Others. Doesn't seem to be GRRM's style IMO.

It would be too easy and a bit out of nowhere in my opinion (I know there are lines who could be seen as foreshadowing, though). Stannis is still a supporting character (albeit a crucial one), giving Jon Snow one of the most important roles in the story makes more sense.

I've been reading through this thread and I don't know how anyone sees Dany as the hero of this story... IMHO count her out as anything remotely resembling a saviour or hero. She doesn't have it in her. When has she ever showed signs of picking her people up and saving and protecting anyone when it doesn't involve her best interests.

Jon is your hero, along w many others playing supportive roles to both Dang and Jon... But make no mistake, Dany will ultimately follow an evil arc, and while no character is black and white we will see dany go from white to black... That progression has already started. Esp if she will no longer have Jorah and Baristan to keep her grounded.

Dany has this incredible false entitlement and no one wants to call her on it. Makes me sick.

... And just bc Jon is the main hero doesn't mean his path won't also be flawed. It already has been a trajectory filled with a multitude of decisions, not all good and not all bad.

I guess, just bc I see him as "the Hero" doesn't mean he will make the ascent all the way to cavalry, but if he's raised from the dead, or lying sick for 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months or the like... I believe GRRM is telling us something. This point could already be argued... We'll just have to wait for WoW.

Jon Snow will be a hero , but not the kind of hero we think. He will lead the Others to save Westeros from dragonfire.

This and then some. I believe George has unpredictable endings for most of if not all of the characters here. Re-reading the series now and the Others (still)do not come off as this evil unrelenting race that needs to be vanquished from westeros. He is setting them up for the majority of ppl to have the WTF moment, seeing them as something "other" than what they appear, and on top of this Dany Targaryen will come full circle as the villain, along with the red God, and I think she is AA returned, just not the AA everyone thought we would see. These are my thoughts... I look forward to being correct and look forward to being completely wrong if it comes to that.

I believe Jon to actually be the most likely candidate of being a hero. I honestly have this really odd theory that Daenarys isn't going to be much of a hero, but that's just what my intuition tells me. The problem is that I'm probably wrong, but it feels like she's so hyped up that she'll turn out to be a disappointment.

But make no mistake, Dany will ultimately follow an evil arc, and while no character is black and white we will see dany go from white to black... That progression has already started. Esp if she will no longer have Jorah and Baristan to keep her grounded.

Dany has this incredible false entitlement and no one wants to call her on it. Makes me sick.

Exactly. Anyone who wants to learn how to rule, fails and decides "a dragon plants no seeds" is no queen/hero material.

I believe Jon to actually be the most likely candidate of being a hero. I honestly have this really odd theory that Daenarys isn't going to be much of a hero, but that's just what my intuition tells me. The problem is that I'm probably wrong, but it feels like she's so hyped up that she'll turn out to be a disappointment.

I think you're right that she won't be a hero, she'll be the exact opposite. It is odd to me that more ppl aren't adopting the "danybis the devil" theory. When I first believed it, I saw there were others that also believed this (there are some excellent, well laid out theories and explanations) and it doesn't seem to be the basic belief of everyone. I don't know how she is still viewed as anything remotely heroic.

Andvi understand GRRM has created a world where there truly are grey characters, meaning no one is truly good or evil, but to me, she is on a path to ruin.

Dany becoming more a dark character is very appealing to me and she has already shown signs of it. It would make sense for her to be overwhelmed by the circumstances. I don't want her to become batshit crazy and purely evil but she could easily lose control, her methods of "liberation" are already being persecuted and in Westeros the idea of a conqueror in a land in turmoil probably wont be very appealing to the people, especially as Aegon, who's been portrayed as both competent and well intentioned, may already be the accepted and beloved king by the time she arrives.

Also the idea of her being the hero is sort of annoying, simply because the Others don't seem an even remotely serious threat against fucking dragons.

I like the idea of Stannis as an anti-hero although he's blatantly a doomed character, I hope his fate is meaningful and I think it will be. I don't even think he really believes in the AA prophecy or cares for it, he cares for Mel's power for both his and his kingdom's gain rather than hers.

This entire thread makes me long for TWoW to be released.

There isn't one single hero in ASOIAF. Where are people getting this idea that Jon Snow is the be-all to end all? He's my favorite male character by far and the way that some readers hype him has me nervous, because as someone said upthread, GRRM may just leave him dead because he doesn't want you thinking Jon is absolutely everything.

Also, we get that most posters hate Dany. It's just annoying to read about it on every single thread. Even if the threat isn't about Dany, somehow by the middle of it, it becomes all about how much we hate Dany.

Knowing GRRM, he'll kill off Jon, marry Dany to Tyrion, and make Dany and Tyrion the champions of everything simply because so many fans loathe both characters.

I think you're right that she won't be a hero, she'll be the exact opposite. It is odd to me that more ppl aren't adopting the "danybis the devil" theory. When I first believed it, I saw there were others that also believed this (there are some excellent, well laid out theories and explanations) and it doesn't seem to be the basic belief of everyone. I don't know how she is still viewed as anything remotely heroic.

Andvi understand GRRM has created a world where there truly are grey characters, meaning no one is truly good or evil, but to me, she is on a path to ruin.

You don't happen to know where some of these theories are? Like which threads and such?

I found it on here before I became a member. I started to piece together what was happening and tied it to my beliefs of the Others being a necessary force in the ASOIAF world. I searched others, Jon Snow teaming up with others etcetera etc and I found several theories. I'll look later tonight when I have more time.

What noble character doesn't have a sense of entitlement? Shit, Jon is nothing more then a bastard yet even he shows off a sense of entitlement.

When has she ever showed signs of picking her people up and saving and protecting anyone when it doesn't involve her best interests.

One could stretch an argument (which what one has to do against Dany) and say the same about Jon.

Archived