King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (SPOILERS ALERT)

Gaston de Foix

Good to hear! You've only got a month to wait.

The (free) Sleeping Beauty tale is Jorg-centric but probably best reached via my forward http://mark---lawren...ing-beauty.html

And if you want even more Broken Empire tales to tide you over then you could get hold of the Unfettered anthology that has another one. This one isn't free, but I don't make anything from it and the money goes to a good cause, plus there are some stories by other guys who seem quite popular (Rothfuss, Sanderson...) .

Already bought, read, and gave a review at Amazon on Unfettered. Your story is one of those I listed as standing out.

I will also admit (during reading this thread) it is hard for me to fathom how someone could read either Prince or King and not understand this is a post-apocolyptic setting. It was evident throughout the books.

Thanks for the link, I most certainly will check out Sleeping Beauty.

Already bought, read, and gave a review at Amazon on Unfettered. Your story is one of those I listed as standing out.

I will also admit (during reading this thread) it is hard for me to fathom how someone could read either Prince or King and not understand this is a post-apocolyptic setting. It was evident throughout the books.

Thanks for the link, I most certainly will check out Sleeping Beauty.

People are strange beasts. One Barnes & Noble review said:

"I liked the premise of this book, but really couldn't get into it. I thought it would be a quick read because it isn't very long, but it just drug on and on. It is mostly a fantasy book set in times where kings rule, and then out of the blue, throws in a space ship with nuclear weapons. Save your money."

You remember the space ship surely?

And then you have the people who will swear blind that the first book is full of rape....

Sorry mr Lawrence, I don't like to nit-pick because I liked the books, but I have to say, what really offended me was the scene in which a group of blue eyed, muscular blonde men beat up and lynched a group of black gypsies whilst yelling taliban war cries.

That was just too far.

Sorry mr Lawrence, I don't like to nit-pick because I liked the books, but I have to say, what really offended me was the scene in which a group of blue eyed, muscular blonde men beat up and lynched a group of black gypsies whilst yelling taliban war cries.

That was just too far.

What was I thinking? Lucky the space ship landed on them when it did.

Good to hear! You've only got a month to wait.

The (free) Sleeping Beauty tale is Jorg-centric but probably best reached via my forward http://mark---lawren...ing-beauty.html

And if you want even more Broken Empire tales to tide you over then you could get hold of the Unfettered anthology that has another one. This one isn't free, but I don't make anything from it and the money goes to a good cause, plus there are some stories by other guys who seem quite popular (Rothfuss, Sanderson...) .

Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed the story.

ETA I wasn't surprised to find out you are a fellow Gemmell fan.

I'm a physical books kinda guy, so (and due to other factors) I only got around to reading King of Thrones now.

The distorted time lines (and the quality of the prose of course) definitely make it a book to read twice though on my quick read through, am I right in that the pace seems slower compared to book 1?

I must say, all the references to the map and builder science make it a interesting read, though - harking back to the discussion a few pages back I think - it does seem like Jorg does have a healthy dose of luck. It is fine since that does have an impact, but if it happens too often and only ever benefits one side, it gets questionable. Like all his plans working on the wedding day, (few) setbacks. So I do hope that Katherine's dead. Even though their interaction would be interesting, it just feels (!) wrong for Jorg to do all these evil deeds and then get his first love anyways ;) I mean there are setbacks for Jorg, many of his brothers die and he gets burned and so on, so he's no knight in shining armour (and we see what happens to them with the Prince of Arrow...), but still. So easily, I'm fine with one horse kick, but ten would raise my eyebrow.

Oh, and last question. What are the trolls? (and why do they want goats?)

Anyways, looking forward to the Emperor.

Am I right in that the pace seems slower compared to book 1?

There's no quantitative measure of pace - if it seems slower to you then I can't argue that it doesn't seem slower to you :)

Oh, and last question. What are the trolls? (and why do they want goats?)

The descendants of genetically engineered soldiers. And everyone knows why trolls want goats... to eat! This has been proven by extensive under-bridge studies. Trip. Trap.

Anyways, looking forward to the Emperor.

Me too! Just over three weeks now!

It might seem slower because of the split narrative and an extra POV? Sometimes more stuff going on with different people times might cause a mental slowing down than lots happening form one POV? But pace in a book is probably as much down to personal preference as opposed to in a film.

Only 3 weeks? Will have to go scouring for good offers. Waterstones is sometimes pretty good. Do you know if there are any UK editions with exclusive content at all?

It might seem slower because of the split narrative and an extra POV? Sometimes more stuff going on with different people times might cause a mental slowing down than lots happening form one POV? But pace in a book is probably as much down to personal preference as opposed to in a film.

Only 3 weeks? Will have to go scouring for good offers. Waterstones is sometimes pretty good. Do you know if there are any UK editions with exclusive content at all?

Pretty sure there's just the one UK edition (apart from the Goldsboro limited/signed/numbered edition that sold out weeks ago & that had no extra content).

Kudos for supporting bricks&mortar bookshops, and pre-orders are always appreciated!

I'm a bit mercenary with my purchases but physical stores can be competitive and fun to browse. i recall getting an ARC of a certain prince of thorns free when i pre-ordered ADWD for instance :)

Are you signing any stock for Bristol forbidden planet prior to release? I noticed there are signed copies of the other two there during my weekly comic sweep.

I'm a bit mercenary with my purchases but physical stores can be competitive and fun to browse. i recall getting an ARC of a certain prince of thorns free when i pre-ordered ADWD for instance :)

Are you signing any stock for Bristol forbidden planet prior to release? I noticed there are signed copies of the other two there during my weekly comic sweep.

Yes I am, and for Waterstones (Bristol, Galleries). FP don't seem that good at selling them - I've seen people pay stupid prices for signed copies on ebay and you can still pick them off the shelf in Bristol :)

Yes I am, and for Waterstones (Bristol, Galleries). FP don't seem that good at selling them - I've seen people pay stupid prices for signed copies on ebay and you can still pick them off the shelf in Bristol :)

Cool. I'll wait until I see signed copies before buying one. Hopefully you'll be doing your stint in a bookstore dungeon close to the release date.

Hmm, almost sounds like an investment getting some extras from FP. That store is littered with signed editions (often still with a discount) and they seem to stick around. I guess people must gloss over the books but the same is true for the graphic novels as well.

Archived