King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (SPOILERS ALERT)

Gaston de Foix

Just finished EoT! Good shit!! :)

More rape and more spaceships than ever before! And I loved the Ron Jeremy cameo. . . ;)

Review coming soon. . .

Patrick

He's giving the fans what they want.

How did you get a copy so early?

It was a MAJOR pain in the ass. . . But between Mark and I, somehow we managed to get the powers that be to send me an Advance Reading Copy. :)

EoT will please Mark Lawrence's fans, those who enjoyed the first two volumes in the serie. He is unlikely to win any more fans among those who found the first two installments off-putting. My biggest fear was that, in order to increase sales, Mark and his editor and marketing team would try to make Jorg more appealing and thus cheapen the whole story. Well, thankfully that's not the case. Jorg, love him or hate him, remains true to himself and that's all there is to it. . .

As I said, good shit! ;)

Patrick

Mark and his editor and marketing team would try to make Jorg more appealing and thus cheapen the whole story.

Kind of a strange fear in this day and age, isn't it?

But anyway iirc the whole trilogy was pretty much in before the first book came out, so I don't think there'd have been many changes in any case.

Just a quick question on something I can't remember if its being answered in the books.

During Prince of Thorns we get an excerpt between chapters about Makins church trail for the sacking of Mercer (It think it was Mercer) I'm just trying to figure where it places in the time line. Is it something that happens before PoT or is it something that we might get to read about in EoT, or anywhere in-between.

Just a quick question on something I can't remember if its being answered in the books.

During Prince of Thorns we get an excerpt between chapters about Makins church trail for the sacking of Mercer (It think it was Mercer) I'm just trying to figure where it places in the time line. Is it something that happens before PoT or is it something that we might get to read about in EoT, or anywhere in-between.

It's something that happened before PoT but Makin does talk briefly in Emperor of Thorns about his experience in the conflict between Trent and Merca.

Early reviews here: http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/emperor-of-thorns-early-reviews.html

It seems some bookshops have put Emperor out early. Tut tut and all that.

It's really good, by the way. Though I'll refrain from posting proper thoughts till there's more people have read it and maybe a spoiler thread.

It seems that every shop where it's arrived has put it straight on the shelves - I've had reports from Waterstones, Forbidden Planet, WHSmith and lots of places in Australia. I think perhaps getting books out before Amazon is a valuable edge for bricks and mortar stores (and I support physical book shops). On the flip side though, first week sales are very important for authors in terms of visibility on sales charts etc, and my publisher tells me that early sales like this don't count and weaken first week sales...

So the perfect readers buys from a real shop but not before August 1st :D

But really anyone who buys a copy is getting two thumbs up from me.

I did not no that. =/ Sorry.

I shall instead tell everyone possible that it's awesome. :P

I think perhaps getting books out before Amazon is a valuable edge for bricks and mortar stores

Someone told me once (though I can't remember who or if they have any reason to know this for a fact) that unless strictly warned not to, shops tend to put books out as soon as they get them because otherwise they have a pile taking up storage space and not earning them any money.

It seems that every shop where it's arrived has put it straight on the shelves - I've had reports from Waterstones, Forbidden Planet, WHSmith and lots of places in Australia. I think perhaps getting books out before Amazon is a valuable edge for bricks and mortar stores (and I support physical book shops). On the flip side though, first week sales are very important for authors in terms of visibility on sales charts etc, and my publisher tells me that early sales like this don't count and weaken first week sales...

So the perfect readers buys from a real shop but not before August 1st :D

But really anyone who buys a copy is getting two thumbs up from me.

Interesting that "pre-sales" don't count as first week sales. Do they just disappear?

Book is great fun so far. From what I've read Jorg has had a lot more scenes of being an extreme badass than in "king" and is more the "anti-hero" of "prince" - which is odd as all of said scenes have been in the flashbacks that were before "king". Anyway - unless things change a lot in the second half I'm not buying that Jorg has been "softened" at all to suit reader's palettes.

Some spoilery bits

Loved the scene in the pit with Lesha and the torture scene with the "dogs" was once of the most disturbing I've read since the cannibal scene in "consider phlebas" (I only read it 3 years ago though).

I also like how Mark is peppering this installment with hints to the identity of the dead king where, if my hunch proves correct, I'll be kicking myself for not considering it in earlier books.

• 9 months later...

Just finished this book, I am several years late to the show >.<, but have thoroughly enjoyed it. Have been on a 3 year fantasy kick after finishing DWD, and this is the BEST BY FAR since i started "A Song Of Ice And Fire", I am beside my self. I have to say after finishing first one, paying 40 bucks for overnight delivery for 2nd and 3rd, and then coming on for some perspectives on book2, and SEEING THAT MARK LAWRENCE HIMSELF IS ON THE FORUM. I feel like that moment, where you bump into a musician, or celebrity you love, and you are speechless, i feel the urge to message Mr. Lawrence with why he is awesome, should keep writing, and the fact that he has given me countless minutes to continue practicing the only healthy habit i have, which is of course, reading books. I know this is a very old thread, forgive me, but as an ancient-medieval age history buff, I loved the "originality" (i use quotes, because the irony of using our real history as original in itself is brilliant) just added that final oregano to the meal that this series has been so far. Am psyched to delve into this closing book, with 3.5 ounces of regret to meet the end :(

Just finished this book, I am several years late to the show >.<, but have thoroughly enjoyed it. Have been on a 3 year fantasy kick after finishing DWD, and this is the BEST BY FAR since i started "A Song Of Ice And Fire", I am beside my self. I have to say after finishing first one, paying 40 bucks for overnight delivery for 2nd and 3rd, and then coming on for some perspectives on book2, and SEEING THAT MARK LAWRENCE HIMSELF IS ON THE FORUM. I feel like that moment, where you bump into a musician, or celebrity you love, and you are speechless, i feel the urge to message Mr. Lawrence with why he is awesome, should keep writing, and the fact that he has given me countless minutes to continue practicing the only healthy habit i have, which is of course, reading books. I know this is a very old thread, forgive me, but as an ancient-medieval age history buff, I loved the "originality" (i use quotes, because the irony of using our real history as original in itself is brilliant) just added that final oregano to the meal that this series has been so far. Am psyched to delve into this closing book, with 3.5 ounces of regret to meet the end :(

You're in luck as he is indeed still writing. He has another book coming out in 2 days, actually. Prince of Fools, first book in a new trilogy set in the same world. :cheers:

You're in luck as he is indeed still writing. He has another book coming out in 2 days, actually. Prince of Fools, first book in a new trilogy set in the same world. :cheers:

This is good news, but also bad, as I'm only halfway through KoT. I have some serious catching up to do :laugh:

• 4 months later...

Just finished KOT and it didn't disappoint. Really liked POT especially the pace of the book which kept me reading into the early hours, lunch breaks and when I should have been working. KOT is just the same apart from Kathrines dairy, I had a sinking feeling when I turned the page to see her entries but by the end of the book I could see the relavance of them as background to whole story.

Jorgs ability to get himself and others into seemingly inescapable situations and then come out smelling of roses is the hook the books grab you with (pun intended) wether its luck like with horse and corion or forward planning as with the battle for Renar.

I'm not saying I got everything in the books especially the eye ring and the ruby or the dead king sailing but I'm really looking forward to the Last book to see how it all ties in.

This series is perfect for Asoiaf fans IMO as its complelty different Jorg is nothing like any caracter in westeros and takes your mind off waiting for the WOW.

Well done Mark keep them coming...

Archived