Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

Dumb question, but I'm a weird stickler for details when it comes to knowing details about my favorite characters XD Does GRRM ever explicitly state Brienne's age anywhere? I know there are some subtle things that allow us to make ball-park guesses, but unlike most of the other characters, I don't believe we ever have enough concrete information to do the math and get an exact number (I've noticed she doesn't even have a birth year on the wiki haha). (I asked him on his blog about her age and he doesn't seem to remember an exact number (though he says my guess of "20ish" is a good guess), but claims he's pretty sure he mentioned it somewhere. But I could never find it and I've been wondering about it for ages!)

Dumb question, but I'm a weird stickler for details when it comes to knowing details about my favorite characters XD Does GRRM ever explicitly state Brienne's age anywhere? I know there are some subtle things that allow us to make ball-park guesses, but unlike most of the other characters, I don't believe we ever have enough concrete information to do the math and get an exact number (I've noticed she doesn't even have a birth year on the wiki haha). (I asked him on his blog about her age and he doesn't seem to remember an exact number (though he says my guess of "20ish" is a good guess), but claims he's pretty sure he mentioned it somewhere. But I could never find it and I've been wondering about it for ages!)

I've seen people talking about her age here on the forum but I don't know where they got it from. I THINK she's about 9 years younger than Jaime.

True, I haven't checked it again because I assumed that's the way it is, since the others are vulnerable to fire and Valyriansteel coming from a place associated with fire and hence dragons is likely to be dragonsteel. I don't see the meteorite theory though. Anyway thanks for correcting me.

Well, Dawn is special and is forged from steel made from the heart of a fallen star. it is paler bluish white. Meteorites are pretty freaking hot. Targs come from Valyria and they arent even fireproof. Velaryons come from Valyria and they dont even have dragons. It might be Valyrian steel.I just dont buy it.

I've seen people talking about her age here on the forum but I don't know where they got it from. I THINK she's about 9 years younger than Jaime.

Brienne is less than half the age of Eider Brother so no more than 22. I thought I saw 19 somewhere. Jaime would be 33 in Book 1. There are enough age references to follow in the other books to keep track and do the arithmetic.

I got Jaimes age from: He was 17 in the False Spring. The Trident happened a year later. It is my reading that Robert has been ruling for 15 years. So that all adds up to 33 in AGOT.

Marie

Well, Dawn is special and is forged from steel made from the heart of a fallen star. it is paler bluish white. Meteorites are pretty freaking hot. Targs come from Valyria and they arent even fireproof. Velaryons come from Valyria and they dont even have dragons. It might be Valyrian steel.I just dont buy it.

I don't understand your theory. Could you explain it? Is it that dragonsteel is steel from meteorites?

I don't understand your theory. Could you explain it? Is it that dragonsteel is steel from meteorites?

You explain your theory that it is Valyrian steel (further than Valyria had a lot of hot seismic action) first. Dragonstone has a lot of hot seismic action too.

Then I will refer you to Elio's video on the topic. Why reinvent the wheel?

You explain your theory that it is Valyrian steel (further than Valyria had a lot of hot seismic action) first. Dragonstone has a lot of hot seismic action too.

Then I will refer you to Elio's video on the topic. Why reinvent the wheel?

lol wut I never said I had a theory that it is Valyrian steel... and what does seismic action have to do with anything? jeez I was just trying to understand

lol wut I never said I had a theory that it is Valyrian steel... and what does seismic action have to do with anything? jeez I was just trying to understand

Seismic action -> volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, molten rock, underground heat (see mines,Valyria), obsidian (see Dragonstone). I dont know exactly how the broken arm became broken but if it is merely the tides, that is a long tide. Perhaps instead there was subsidence of the land from seismic action directly or a tsunami with instant erosion. Possibly more water from climate change <-- hammer of the waters less easy to understand and why then is Winter Coming. That would tend to put the arm back to gether.

If you want me to go through the effort of putting together more of a theory than I already did, I only ask that you be willing to do the same. Seems fair, but you dont have to agree.

Seismic action -> volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, molten rock, underground heat (see mines,Valyria), obsidian (see Dragonstone). I dont know exactly how the broken arm became broken but if it is merely the tides, that is a long tide. Perhaps instead there was subsidence of the land from seismic action directly or a tsunami with instant erosion. Possibly more water from climate change <-- hammer of the waters less easy to understand and why then is Winter Coming. That would tend to put the arm back to gether.

If you want me to go through the effort of putting together more of a theory than I already did, I only ask that you be willing to do the same. Seems fair, but you dont have to agree.

but I don't have a theory!!! :uhoh:

it's ok if you don't want to explain it, I was just asking :dunno:

Brienne is approximately 3 years younger than Renly, and Renly was 22 at the beginning of AGoT in 298 AL. So, she'd be roughly 19 when the story starts and about 22-23 now since we're in 301AL.

if i recall correctly, the assassin send to murder Bran had a valyrian Steel Dagger with him, originally belonging to the Lannisters (Tyron ?) later its rumored that it was in Robert treasure and Joff might have taken it, correct?

it always seemed pretty dumb to give such a recognizable Dagger to a common assassin...even for Joff (if he had anything to do with it). so i kinda put that theory aside. (or has it been confirmed by Cersei/Joff/Jaime that they send the assassin?)

isnt it more likely that someone left those footprints intentionally, who might have an interest in bringing the conflict between the Lannisters and the Starks to an escalation?

smells fishy and i was thinking that might have been Varys work.

where does it say about Danys dragons increasing magic powers of all warlocks in the world?

don't have the exact quote with me but Hallyne, the head of pyromancers says to Tyrion (during his visit, prior to Blackwater battle) that the production of wildfire has oddly increased, a thing that happened only the time dragons were still alive.

IIRC there are other instances as well but I'm unable to provide you with the exact quotes, I'm sorry.

smells fishy and i was thinking that might have been Varys work.

Surely we're limited to people that were there? It was opportunistic, as no one could have predicted Bran's fall. I think the fact that it was Tyrion who arrived at that conclusion, and that it provides no other purpose other than to solve the mystery, means it was Joffrey.

How does Arya get Needle back? She loses it and then she picks up a sword and kills The Tickler with it and calls it Needle. Is this a new sword and she names it Needle, or did The Tickler have her original sword the whole time?

In Herrenhall Polliver takes Needle from her. When Sandor and Arya meet the Tickler and Polliver on the way to Saltpans, Polliver is killed and Arya retrieves Needle from him.

Is GRRM firm that A Dream of Spring will be his conclusion to the ASOIF books? Or is he hinting that he might extend it to 1 or two more books?

In an interview with sky Atlantic GRRM said that he wants to finish in 7 books because it "has a certain elegance to it" but it might well be that there will be more because it is a very complex story.

Surely we're limited to people that were there? It was opportunistic, as no one could have predicted Bran's fall. I think the fact that it was Tyrion who arrived at that conclusion, and that it provides no other purpose other than to solve the mystery, means it was Joffrey.

well, Brans fall was not intended beforehand and done by Jaime/Cersei with no further intention but keeping their incest secret.

however, there was a time gap between the fall and the assassin attempt, no?

that beeing said, somehow the news must have either reached Joff (how so? i doubt Cersei did tell him about her "realtionship" to Jaime/his father) and even if, he wasnt in a position to do such things behing Roberts back at all. and using that dagger would have been dumb.

but if there was some talk about the fall, surely the master of whispers would have gotten an ear to this sooner or later and after all he (as a Aegon supporter) would have profited from that huge Chaos caused by that act.

Archived