Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

So Tywin sent Gregor Clegane raiding in the Riverlands to set up a trap for Ned so he could capture him and trade him for Tyrion. He was relying on the belief that Ned would want to ride out to kill Gregor himself. But Ned was the one hearing the plea from the smallfolk and ordering Gregor's death because Robert was out hunting. If Robert was the one hearing, he would either go himself or order someone, and I doubt he'd send Ned, and Ned wouldn't feel any need to do it himself since he wasn't the one giving orders. And how the fuck did he think Robert was going to react to Tywin going around burning territory and then attacking the Hand of the King who went to stop it?

He assumed rightly that Ned would feel honor-bound to swing the sword that killed Gregor if he was the one issuing his death warrant. As Gregor was ravaging his wife's family's lands, Ned may have insisted on being sent against him even if Robert was the one issuing the order. It's possible that Tywin knew for sure that Robert would be out of the capital when news arrived from the Riverlands. It was a gambit that likely would have worked in any case, had Tywin's son not been such a hothead.

I imagine he thought Robert would react the same way he did when Jaime's men attacked Ned's in the streets.

In AFFC is Brienne putting Dunk's sigil on her shield? If yes what connections are between her and Dunk?

Yes, that's Dunk's sigil. Some readers believe that Brienne is a descendant of Dunk based on her abnormal height and the fact that his shield can be found in Evenfall Hall.

In AFFC is Brienne putting Dunk's sigil on her shield? If yes what connections are between her and Dunk?

Dunks sheild was in Evenfall when she was growing up. She always like it. When she needed a new sheild, after some one knew she should not have the one with the "bats" on it, that they were all dead, she had it painted to look like his sheild. GRRM said that one of Dunks Grandchildren would be in AFFC,which is were we first meet her.

Huum, interesting... I mentioned Bloodraven because people often refer to the 3EC as beeing him, but I can't recall reading this name (Bloodraven) even once in the books (ok, maybe once, but I have my doubts), so I was curious... Bittersteel was just another one that came to my mind since they have a connection :]

It doesn't say 'Bloodraven' but we know Brynden Rivers is Bloodraven. And in the ADwD appendix we have this:

"- in the caverns beneath a hollow hill

THE THREE-EYED CROW, also called THE LAST GREENSEER, sorcerer and dreamwalker, once a man of the Night’s Watch named BRYNDEN, now more tree than man"

Dunks sheild was in Evenfall when she was growing up. She always like it. When she needed a new sheild, after some one knew she should not have the one with the "bats" on it, that they were all dead, she had it painted to look like his sheild. GRRM said that one of Dunks Grandchildren would be in AFFC,which is were we first meet her

It would be badass if she is Dunk's grandother. She is one of the best warriors in Westeros. Did GRRM say thaht one of Dunk's grandchildren will first appear in AFFC? Because we met her in ACOK...

That's the rumor. I dont know that we know. Another thing: I saw his previous sigil, which he took from his master, among the crowd at Tyrion's trial at the Eyrie - the winged chalice. FIgure THAT out!

Part of the deal with the D and E stories is that they were written after the books as prequels. I imagine GRRM picked through his 3 x 5 cards for starting material.

It doesn't say 'Bloodraven' but we know Brynden Rivers is Bloodraven. And in the ADwD appendix we have this:

"- in the caverns beneath a hollow hill

THE THREE-EYED CROW, also called THE LAST GREENSEER, sorcerer and dreamwalker, once a man of the Night’s Watch named BRYNDEN, now more tree than man"

Dragonfsih post 396 says the name is said.

in any case we dont need to know his backstory from the D and E stories to follow everything in the books.

Dragonfsih post 396 says the name is said.

in any case we dont need to know his backstory from the D and E stories to follow everything in the books.

I was saying it doesn't say 'Bloodraven' in the text I quoted, and it doesn't.

It would be badass if she is Dunk's grandother. She is one of the best warriors in Westeros. Did GRRM say thaht one of Dunk's grandchildren will first appear in AFFC? Because we met her in ACOK...

Sorry I miss typed. I meant aCoK. I looked for the quote but all I could find is that in 2000 he said that we would met a descendent. But I do not know if that was before are after aSoS came out.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Mysterious_Galaxy_Signing_San_Diego/

I vaguely remember an occasion when a raven says "Lord" or something to that effect to/when near Patchface. Was there such a thing, and if yes, where is it in the books? A quote would be even more splendid. Thanks

ACoK, prologue:

“The shadows come to dance, my lord, dance my lord, dance my lord,” the fool sang on, swinging his head and making his bells clang and clatter. Bong dong, ring-a-ling, bong dong.

“Lord,” the white raven shrieked. “Lord, lord, lord.”

“A fool sings what he will,” the maester told his anxious princess. “You must not take his words to heart. On the morrow he may remember another song, and this one will never be heard again.” He can sing prettily in four tongues, Lord Steffon had written..."

He assumed rightly that Ned would feel honor-bound to swing the sword that killed Gregor if he was the one issuing his death warrant. As Gregor was ravaging his wife's family's lands, Ned may have insisted on being sent against him even if Robert was the one issuing the order. It's possible that Tywin knew for sure that Robert would be out of the capital when news arrived from the Riverlands. It was a gambit that likely would have worked in any case, had Tywin's son not been such a hothead.

I imagine he thought Robert would react the same way he did when Jaime's men attacked Ned's in the streets.

There's simply no way Tywin would know Robert would be off hunting for a few days at the same time news reached King's Landing. And by the same token Robert's most likely reaction would be to not send anyone against Gregor. That might have caused Ned to go back North and raise an army (and Tywin seemed to have no plan to deal with the fact he was starting a war with three kingdoms). It was a gambit that may have worked, but then again may have horribly backfired (imagine if Ned had gone and taken Loras and one or both of them died).

Who was Shae? Besides being a whore, I mean. Are any information in the books about her?

None.

Also, while your argument about Robert hunting does make sense Tywin clearly tells Jaime that because of his attack on Ned it prevented him from dying at Gregor's hands.

What makes a greenseer besides prophetic dreams and skinchanging(trees included)? Because Targaryens tend to have prophetic dreams and maybe they used to wear their dragon's skins? I believe that horn was maybe made to steal dragons.

None.

Also, while your argument about Robert hunting does make sense Tywin clearly tells Jaime that because of his attack on Ned it prevented him from dying at Gregor's hands.

Does Tywin ever discuss it himself? I can only find other people talking about the trap, who say it was to kill or capture Ned. In which case Tywin is nowhere as smart as he's treated. How did he expect the North to react to him ambushing and murdering Ned? And what about Robert? How did he expect to deal with half the realm fighting the Lannisters (and while he was happy to make as many enemies as possible he made no effort to get any allies)? It's just another example of how fucking lucky the Lannisters were.

What makes a greenseer besides prophetic dreams and skinchanging(trees included)? Because Targaryens tend to have prophetic dreams and maybe they used to wear their dragon's skins? I believe that horn was maybe made to steal dragons.

The Targaryens didn't change their dragons' skins. The only people we see having greenseer abilities are Bran and Bloodraven, with the common denominator being the blood of the First Men.

Archived