Who will come to Sansa's rescue

SonOfWinter

I don't know how Sansa is going to get out of LF's clutches, but I DO want to see her do it herself. She's had 5 books and it's high time she steps up to the plate and does something for herself. Of the 6 Stark children, only Rickon has done less. And he's young enough to ignore that he eats his own boogers. Sansa has to start living up to her name.

She's alive, which is more than many a Stark can say. Never understood this notion that Sansa has done "nothing".

As for the thread title, I'm not even of the opinion she needs to be "rescued". She's currently under the protection of one of if not the best Game player in the business.

The Stark children - not counting Robb and Jon - have as of yet all done 'nothing' on the great political scale. Arya has murdered no-name characters, or arranged for their murder, Rickon has disappeared, and Bran is in no man's land. Sansa, on the other hand, has married Tyrion Lannister, stands accused of murdering King Joffrey, and is now on her way to become Lady Arryn. That's quite a bit of 'nothing'.

But in any case, Sansa is way too young to become more than a political figurehead. She is now our POV in Littlefinger's circle, and despite the fact that she has her own story, I don't see her freeing herself from Littlefinger in the foreseeable future, nor is she going to hatch some grand-scale plans of her own. Sansa is disconnected from her power base (i.e. the North), and Littlefinger, Harry, or any other Vale Lord is going to try to make use of her claim. She has no home where she could try to return to, and I very much doubt that she starts to dream to become the Lady of Winterfell or Queen of Westeros or some other nonsense.

All the speculation about a marriage between Aegon and Sansa is highly problematic as well. Harry the Heir has to go for that to happen, and such a scenario would also include some sort of succession crisis/power struggle in the Vale of Arryn, which might very well result in Littlefinger and Sansa losing their hold on the Vale. Sansa Stark herself has nothing to offer Aegon Targaryen, since she has no men of her own down in the South right now. And if Lord Harrold were to declare for King Aegon, it would be his men, the Lords of the Vale, who would fight against the Lannisters and Tyrells, not Sansa's. And Sansa would either be Lady Arryn then (and thus not able to marry Aegon), or completely irrelevant for this whole thing. Especially since Littlefinger is most likely not going to allow Harry or Aegon to have Sansa for their own.

If Littlefinger tries to reach out to Aegon (which I doubt, I rather expect him to send someone to Meereen to make connections to Daenerys - he had news about her in AFfC, not about Aegon!), Varys is going to take him out of the game. Varys has invested too much into Aegon, he is not going to allow Littlefinger to mess with his precious little king. And he has good chances to get rid of Littlefinger, since he is most likely ignorant that Varys and Illyrio have created Aegon. So Littlefinger would not see the dagger coming.

Me gustaría que Sansa se salvara solita, espero que no con veneno matando a un gigante en un castillo como decía la profetiza, Euw... Me gustaría que se salvara más a lo Sansa ( :

Pero por ella misma , y por supuesto .. que en el camino se encontrara con su Sanso ( : su perro/lobo. Que en definitiva hace mucho tiempo que dejó el camino del odio (Gregor) para irse a buscar el de su amor ( ;

Me gustaría que se entregara a él por elección de ella, que sucediera en los bosques , con una gran luna llena, como corresponde a un buen perro y a una loba (..licked her fingers with a rough tongue) aunque fuera “la más bonita, la más dulce y confiada” ( ;

Y por favor, que después no regalen a la reina con otra piel …Quiero que críen cachorritos cerca de la torre de la reina Alysanne. En definitiva, Sandor es un hombre de fuego—desayunó brasas_ de la carne al alma-A RED SOUL. Un guerrero de fuego contra los seres azules gélidos, de más allá del muro, que espero se derrumbe…

It is a lie because Cersei telling of the story doesn't make sense. Ned's action and revelations to Cersei was all the more crucial thus blaming Sansa is ridiculous. Ned was the one who went to Cersei without securing that his daughters had left King's Landing and showed her his cards. Cersei was able to act because of it. All Sansa did was to go the queen to plea to stay because she thought she loved Joffrey. The only thing that her going to the queen affected was the timing. Ned had already told Cersei his plans. Sansa didn't go to Cersei to sell her father down the bridge because he didn't reveal to her or Arya what the hell was going on. She had no idea about her fathers plans thus its inaccurate to say she 'betrayed' him. Cersei in that above conversation was attempting to hide from Tyrion (under the impression he didn't know) the part about her liaisons with Jamie being found out by Ned. To say that after Ned literally shot himself in the foot is disingenuous. Its simplistic and incredibly inaccurate.

what in the world are you talking about? you even have textual evidence of cersie saying everything could have been difference had sansa not gone to her

Because she was a child that had never encountered malevolence before. To her, grown-ups, and especially the queen of Westeros, were authority figures, and worthy of respect. What happened to Lady shook her world view, but Lady's death was not enough to destroy it. As her own father did not intervene to save Lady, she may have started to believe that there was some justice in what happened to her wolf.

If trust was lost, Eddard Stark lost more than Cersei did. He had more of it to lose. Her father's failure to protect Lady obscured Cersei's part in Lady's death. A grown-up would have understood that there was nothing that Eddard Stark could do for Lady, and would have blamed Cersei. A child still believing in her father's omnipotence would be crushed, and blame him instead. And her sister who also had a part in what happened. And maybe even herself, later on.

I don't think it would have changed the course of events if she had spoken out for Lady, if she had told the truth about what happened. But there is no way that Sansa can know that. So she could very well believe that Cersei would not have acted as she did had she but known that Lady did not attack Joffrey.

you say "child" whose never encountered malevolence like she was 6 years old.....she's 13! you're an absolute idiot if you trust someone after they literally kill your dog

Who came up with that ridiculous notion that Sansa is 13 in AGoT?! Do you guys even read the novels? When the series starts Jon and Robb are 14, Daenerys is 13, Sansa is 11, Arya is 9, Bran is 7, and Rickon is 3. Joffrey is 12, Myrcella is 8, and Tommen is 7.

As to Sansa's role during the succession crisis:

Ned telling Cersei the truth about the incest forced her to kill Robert at once. But this did not prepare Cersei for the things after this. Ned Stark was the Hand of the King, and the fact that Robert lived long enough to return to the Red Keep and talk to Ned could have very well ruined everything. Had Ned told Robert the truth, the dying king could very well have gotten rid of Cersei, her children, and her guards with the help of Ned and Renly. Even if they had not done that, Robert could have revealed the truth in his will instead of naming Ned Lord Regent for Joffrey.

Ned could also have talked to plenty of influential people at court, for instance Littlefinger, Varys, Selmy, even Pycelle. If any of those people had been forced to stand witness to a public declaration on the illegitimacy of Cersei's children, everything would have been lost for the Lannisters.

Later on Cersei confessed to Tyrion in confidence that Sansa's information on Ned's plans was crucial for her success. She has no reason to lie about that. The Lannister guards, not the Goldcloaks murdered the Stark loyalists. Cersei could arrange all that, because she knew about Ned's timetable in advance. Janos Slynt only arrested Ned himself, and killed the men that accompanied him to the throne room.

The interesting question is if Littlefinger was approached by Cersei before or after Sansa went to her. Or whether Littlefinger went to Cersei on his own offering her his allegiance and the Goldcloaks when he realized that Ned did not accept his Joffrey-Renly-plan. Anyway, the fact that Cersei thinks Sansa was crucial to her success means that this is the case.

But this does not make Sansa stupid or a traitor. Ned failed to properly train his daughters for the snake pit of King's Landing. And he utterly failed to explain to them what was happening when Robert died. He did not explain to them why they had to leave. Sansa's behavior is completely believable. She is a naive young girl, and not she herself is to be blamed for that but her parents. Compare Sansa to Margaery Tyrell. She is 15 years old when she is married to Renly, and she is neither naive, nor stupid. Lady Olenna has seen to that. Catelyn and Ned completely failed to train their daughters for court or noble life in general.

Catelyn and Ned completely failed to train their daughters for court or noble life in general.

To be fair to Ned and Catelyn: I suppose neither of them expected that Jon Arryn's death and the lack of trusted men in the Small Council would prompt Robert to ask Ned to come to Kings Landing. If Jon Arryn had not died, or Stannis or Tywin became Hand, Sansa and Arya probably would be promised to Northern Lords, maybe to Theon to secure a pact with the Ironborn, or to some lord of the Riverlands. ETA Or possibly to Robert Arryn.

I think the Stark kids were raised with a very Stark view of things- they are entirely honorable and just, and raised their kids to be honorable and just, but also to expect eveyone else to be too. This is something I've just said elsewhere- Ned's unwillingness to bend coupled with his inability to make others bend (the Lannisters in particular) made him entirely unsuitable to the Capital and to playing the Game of Thrones, and ultimately spelled his downfall. This is something he has passed on to his children, to some extent- to Robb in particular, and to Sansa. Robb has already paid the ultimate price, and Sansa has been taught a rough lesson and will proabaly learn well from it. Although generally staunch, Jon has excelled because he's persuaded himself to be flexible in his morality- as witness his mini affair with that wildling lady.

you say "child" whose never encountered malevolence like she was 6 years old.....she's 13! you're an absolute idiot if you trust someone after they literally kill your dog

I would be an absolute idiot if I trusted someone after they maliciously murdered my dog. I am 43 years old, and I have the experience that Sansa lacked. As someone else mentioned, she was 11 years old in aGoT, and no, she had never encountered the sort of malevolence that would kill an innocent pet - or person, for that matter. As I see it, she was inexperienced, naive, sheltered, and still a child. She did a lot of growing up in the following two years, and I consider her now a lot more grown up than most other children at age 13.

Unless my memory totally fails me, it was not Cersei who killed Sansa's "dog". Eddard Stark did. Literally. So you are saying she was an absolute idiot for ever trusting her father again? Well, maybe she wasn't that much of an idiot, maybe she never quite forgot what he did - maybe that was the reason she told Cersei about her father's plans. About plans that seemed quite harmless. Unless you knew about the power struggle going on behind the scenes, and Sansa didn't know. Because no one had warned her. After all, she was just a child.

It was Cersei who wanted the direwolves gone. Sansa probably wanted Arya and Jon gone, too, at least sometimes. She didn't mean it, not really. Cersei meant it, but there was no way Sansa could understand that. For Sansa, Cersei's call for blood probably seemed no different than her own temper tantrums, or those of her siblings. Add to that the fact that no one blamed Cersei for her actions where Sansa would witness it, not even Eddard Stark, and I understand how Cersei could regain Sansa's trust.

I doubt Tyrion would rescue Sansa. Mainly because he has a bigger score to settle with Cersei and Jaime and he could start by capturing Casterly Rock. I still think it will be Jaime and Brienne with the Hound and Blackfish in tow. Blackfish has the friends + skill, Jaime has the authority + skill, Brienne and Sandor have the muscle and the loyalty

Second theory would be Aegon Targaryen if he comes to the Vale for allies it could see her as Queen (since the boy is probably one of the most sheltered in history) or an alliance with the Vale in return for Stark and Tully dominion of the North and Riverlands and a divorce from Tyrion.

Worst case is that Mad Mouse takes Sansa and she is rescued by Gendry and the Brotherhood en route to KL. Or the first four and brought to Cat as proof of their (Jaime and Brienne's) commitment to their vow

If the Mad Mouse abducts Sansa, she won't go to KL on land, they'll try to catch a ship at Gulltown. The passes through the Mountains of the Moon are closed. Winter has come, and the Vale is on its own (or rather the rest of Westeros is, since the Vale has prepared itself for winter).

Hmmm. This is an interesting post, but from my perspective I'm wondering why Sansa needs to be saved anyways. In my theory Sansa will end up as The Lord of the Vale with Harry just as littlefinger planned. This seems to me like a good place for Sansa. The only difference I think is that in the end it won't be just because of littlefingers scheme, because he is obviously getting something out of the marriage, we just don't know what it is yet. By the end Sansa will remove the threat of littlefinger and become lady of the vale of her own will. That's just my theory.

Sansa won't be saved, of course. And the Mad Mouse does not seem to be as stupid as to try and get her out of the Vale all by himself. Especially considering that the situation in KL has changed significantly during the last few months. And then it has been hinted at that he is working for Varys, which may indicate that he has been placed as hidden dagger among Littlefinger's men...

Sansa won't be saved, of course. And the Mad Mouse does not seem to be as stupid as to try and get her out of the Vale all by himself. Especially considering that the situation in KL has changed significantly during the last few months. And then it has been hinted at that he is working for Varys, which may indicate that he has been placed as hidden dagger among Littlefinger's men...

He may avoid kidnapping Sansa, and try sending a letter to KL instead about Sansa's whereabouts.

When has this been hinted at? I must've totally missed it, but that could be quite interesting...

AFfC Brienne I:

"My ransom ruined me. You know who Varys is I trust? The eunuch has offered a plump bag of gold for this girl you've never heard of [sansa]. I am not a greedy man. If some oversized wench would help me find this naughty child, I would split the Spider's coin with her."

Archived