Ciaran Hinds cast as Mance Rayder!

Kyle Baratheon

He has been a favorite actor of mine for a long time, but I would never have envisioned him as Mance. I'm still surprised that they seem to be emphasizing Mance as such an important character (the impression I get from the casting reports) - he has a lot of symbolic value and the fans love him, but I just don't remember him really having that many scenes. It will be interesting to see if Ciaran Hinds plays down the imposing quality (I totally agree with all the comments above about this) to fit Mance or if the writing of Mance changes a little to fit Ciaran Hinds. I'm excited, but with slight reservations.

Originally I wanted James Purefoy (and still want to see him in part or another). That said, Mr. Hinds has more than enough gravitas to pull this off. I'll also be interested to see how it goes in the later seasons when his character will take an even more physical role.

Will he take a more physical role? Remember, in ADWD, Mance is not always Mance. Mance basically has three scenes in ASOS, 1, Meeting Jon. 2, up at the fist, 3, before the battle at the wall.

Later in the fifth book he basically has the "burning", and later he may a couple in Winterfell.

When he fights Jon they won't have Ciaran, since he'll be disguised.

Great. Mance Rayder will be this stern old battle commander guy without any of those traits that made him my favourite character in the books. He won't sing, he won't have a wife, probably won't have the cloak, and he will be killed off as enemy no. 1 at the end of season 4 during the Battle for the Wall. No one expects this guy to have any more history or plot importance than to be the leader of the wildlings, so they could as well have casted a brick. I guess they will give him a crown, too. Bah.

Not one fact, or even reasonable point of speculation in any of this.

Bah, indeed.

Wait and see. They already butchered Qhorin's character and turned Davos into a one-dimensional follower without any resemblance to book-Davos. Davos is my second favourite character in the books and the only one I was disappointed with on the show, but this disappointment was complete. Small wonder the same is going to happen with Mance Rayder now.

In the book he is described as having greying hair.

"He was of middling height, slender, sharp-faced, with shrewd brown eyes and long brown hair that had gone mostly to grey.

It doesn't exactly describe Hinds, but exactly matching the description is not really that important. The key thing is his acting ability. He definitely has that.

the mance wasnt a 25 year old. I remember the voice dotrice did for him in the audiobooks and it was made to sound like an older man (i know dotrice is a greybeard himself). It works better than having someone younger. Otherwise its like those shitty new shows were the lead is an acomplished superstar in 5 scientific fields, speaks eleven languages and plays the piano like ray charles. Think about house, he was a doctor, knew about medical stuff, could bullshit anyone about anything spoke some chinese, played the piano, but it was believable because he was in his fifties. thats why it works.

That being said, i've never seen hinds playing an amiable rogue or someone you'd follow because of charm.

Great. Mance Rayder will be this stern old battle commander guy without any of those traits that made him my favourite character in the books. He won't sing, he won't have a wife, probably won't have the cloak, .

And you know they have cut this out of the show how? Oh wait, you don't.

Well, Ciaran Hinds is fraking great actor.

I voted for him at "which actor would you like to see in GoT" thread and said :" for any role"

However I am a bit surprised to see him casted for Mance Ryder. I xpected someone like Henry Ian Cusik because Mance has that "artistic" side in him

I hope this doesn't mean a change in Mance Ryder's character and making him in to militray leader only.

I am sure Ciaran will do a great job if writers don't mess it up as they did for some other characters.

Ray Stevenson as Victarion :) It needs to happen!

No, no no! Stevenson is Osmund Kettleblack!!

As to Hinds, yeah, I think he will work just fine as Mance. Initially, I was a little put off by his age, and the sheer amount of gravitas he exuded as Caesar, but seeing him in other roles, I can believe him as a more unassuming individual.

So, now that Brutus and Caesar are both going to be on GoT, we just need to get Purefoy (Antony) at some point in a future season for completeness' sake.

Alfie Allen looks nothing like book Theon, his acting was excellent in season 2. Same deal with Stephen Dillane.

Miltos Yerolemou looks much different than book Syrio, his acting was perfect for the role and I can't find the quote but George RR Martin said that "Miltos is Syrio"

It's very hard to find a perfect visual match with acting talent to back it up especially when so many great actors are working on other projects/don't like cold. People should just wait to see his performance and judge it from there.

Archived