What was up with Brandon Snow.

Toccs

This has the makings of an intriguing theory.

Think about it.

Martin has said that there were dragons in Westeros during the Age of Heroes, hence all the legends of Dragonslayers in Westeros's distant past. But presumably they all died out in the Long Night.

Now, this means that the only people who were around in Westeros when there were ancient dragons, were the First Men. Hence, if anyone had any ancestral legends of how to kill a dragon, it would be the last kingdom of First Men left in Westeros - meaning the North.

We then have a snapshot of a northern youth making three weirwood arrows from Winterfell's Heart Tree. This vision comes after Bran's vision of the pregnant woman praying for a son to avenge her - presumably from 100 years ago during Dagon Greyjoy's invasion of the North - meaning the arrow making youth is from more than 100 years ago. A date of 300 years ago is therefore very feasible.

Then we hear that the North is the only kingdom who had a plan to assassinate the dragons - who happen to be 3 in number as well. Coincidentally.

We have a seperate quote from Martin when asked whether the Faceless Men have been contracted to assassinate Dany's dragons, to which he replies: "Not yet."

And then we have Jaqen most likely trying to steal a strongly guarded tome from the Citadel entitled: " The Death of Dragons". Incidentally, Brandon Snow was sent to Aegon's host with 3 maesters in tow... Three dragons, three arrows, three Maesters. Interesting.

And then we lastly have the casual comment by Arya in Storm of Swords when Anguy demonstrates his dazzling archery skills that: " I wish I could learn to shoot a bow like that."

So, what we are left with is:

The Starks had knowledge of the abilty to assassinate a dragon with a weirwood arrow.

The Faceless Men might be gaining this knowledge from the Death of Dragons in the near future.

Martin has hinted that the Faceless Men might be contracted to assassinate some dragons in the near future.

Arya has a possible hint of foreshadowing of becoming a competent archer. She is certainly about to get some general weapons' training, which for an assassin would almost assuredly include ranged weapons mastery.

She is also a northman and has a connection to the weirwoods - and weirwood arrows, presumably.

Conclusion: Arya will assassinate a dragon in book 7.

Let me add - Alleras/Sarella was a supersharpshooter in the AFFC prologue. Some have speculated that she was sent there to learn how to kill a dragon...

Also - dragon glass kills others - weirwood can kill dragons - sounds like Martin. He likes dualism, parallels, and non-invincible stuff.

So yes, this makes sense.

Ahh, and another thing, this time from the show. The absolute first time we see Arya, she shoots an arrow straight in the center of the target when Bran is practicing. So Arya - archer, and maybe even Bran - weirwood?

Ahh, and another thing, this time from the show. The absolute first time we see Arya, she shoots an arrow straight in the center of the target when Bran is practicing. So Arya - archer, and maybe even Bran - weirwood?

Arya can't use a bow and arrow in the books, afaik.

This has the makings of an intriguing theory.

Think about it.

Martin has said that there were dragons in Westeros during the Age of Heroes, hence all the legends of Dragonslayers in Westeros's distant past. But presumably they all died out in the Long Night.

Now, this means that the only people who were around in Westeros when there were ancient dragons, were the First Men. Hence, if anyone had any ancestral legends of how to kill a dragon, it would be the last kingdom of First Men left in Westeros - meaning the North.

We then have a snapshot of a northern youth making three weirwood arrows from Winterfell's Heart Tree. This vision comes after Bran's vision of the pregnant woman praying for a son to avenge her - presumably from 100 years ago during Dagon Greyjoy's invasion of the North - meaning the arrow making youth is from more than 100 years ago. A date of 300 years ago is therefore very feasible.

Then we hear that the North is the only kingdom who had a plan to assassinate the dragons - who happen to be 3 in number as well. Coincidentally.

We have a seperate quote from Martin when asked whether the Faceless Men have been contracted to assassinate Dany's dragons, to which he replies: "Not yet."

And then we have Jaqen most likely trying to steal a strongly guarded tome from the Citadel entitled: " The Death of Dragons". Incidentally, Brandon Snow was sent to Aegon's host with 3 maesters in tow... Three dragons, three arrows, three Maesters. Interesting.

And then we lastly have the casual comment by Arya in Storm of Swords when Anguy demonstrates his dazzling archery skills that: " I wish I could learn to shoot a bow like that."

So, what we are left with is:

The Starks had knowledge of the abilty to assassinate a dragon with a weirwood arrow.

The Faceless Men might be gaining this knowledge from the Death of Dragons in the near future.

Martin has hinted that the Faceless Men might be contracted to assassinate some dragons in the near future.

Arya has a possible hint of foreshadowing of becoming a competent archer. She is certainly about to get some general weapons' training, which for an assassin would almost assuredly include ranged weapons mastery.

She is also a northman and has a connection to the weirwoods - and weirwood arrows, presumably.

Conclusion: Arya will assassinate a dragon in book 7.

OMG this suddenly makes so much sense!

The (3 arrows - 3 Maesters - Brandon Stark - Dragons can be killed through eyes - Death of Dragons - blood magic - sacrifice) is I a brilliantly cohesive chain.

As to how Brandon knew in advance - well, prophetic dreams, greenseers and such. It's not like as if it didn't happen before.

And kudos to noting that GRRM basically confirmed that FM will be engaged in killing dragons! Not sure if it's going to be Arya herself, though (she doesn't have enough time to learn marksmanship, unless a few years pass). But all in all, awesome catch!

A lot of intriguing speculation here. For it to work, we'd need some more information about whether or not weirwood is anymore effective against dragons than any other kind of weapon or substance.

We have no indication at this point in the story that weirwood has any inherent magical properties. It is used to make valuable ceremonial, symbolic, and decorative items, but it seems magically inert in all contexts in which we've seen it. We'd need to see whether it had any superior armor-piercing capability and what exactly it would do when it came into contact with dragonflesh. It doesn't seem likely that a weirwood arrow shot from any of the bows we've seen in Martin's word would have that kind of penetrating power. Even if there was a vulnerability to weirwood, you'd need an incredible shot and a good opportunity to get someplace on the animal not protected by scales, like the eyes.

We have tales of dragonslayers and none of them seem to involve archers. We know dragons have been killed in combat, but the details are remarkably difficult to find.

A lot of intriguing speculation here. For it to work, we'd need some more information about whether or not weirwood is anymore effective against dragons than any other kind of weapon or substance.

We have no indication at this point in the story that weirwood has any inherent magical properties. It is used to make valuable ceremonial, symbolic, and decorative items, but it seems magically inert in all contexts in which we've seen it. We'd need to see whether it had any superior armor-piercing capability and what exactly it would do when it came into contact with dragonflesh. It doesn't seem likely that a weirwood arrow shot from any of the bows we've seen in Martin's word would have that kind of penetrating power. Even if there was a vulnerability to weirwood, you'd need an incredible shot and a good opportunity to get someplace on the animal not protected by scales, like the eyes.

We have tales of dragonslayers and none of them seem to involve archers. We know dragons have been killed in combat, but the details are remarkably difficult to find.

Um, isn't a Weirwood faced door that talks and opens its mouth to people that say the vows of the NW to it somewhat magical?

Um, isn't a Weirwood faced door that talks and opens its mouth to people that say the vows of the NW to it somewhat magical?

Yes, it seems like magic is in play here, but we don't know if the magic is the result of the material or some spell that was worked on it. We have other mentions of weirwood doors and weirwood chairs and staves that do not seem to have any magical qualities to them. My guess is something was done to the door to make it that way, not that weirwood is inherently magical as a building material.

Yes, it seems like magic is in play here, but we don't know if the magic is the result of the material or some spell that was worked on it. We have other mentions of weirwood doors and weirwood chairs and staves that do not seem to have any magical qualities to them. My guess is something was done to the door to make it that way, not that weirwood is inherently magical as a building material.

Or everything else is broken/ "asleep".

Cuz that makes more sense.

Yeah!

But on a more serious note I really like this thread, but unless we get more information hten we can't really say anything with too much confidence. So, I'll lurk every nowe and then, but I don't expect to see anything that I can believe as hard fact. We need more information before theory's can start to get debunked and proven.

I would totally love it if Arya developed archery skills somehow. That could be another way she is like O'ren Ishii only instead of being an expert sniper she would be an expert archer.

Even if she didn't with the FM she is learning about various different potions and poisons so if the Fm were so inclined to have her kill one maybe she still could.

We have no indication at this point in the story that weirwood has any inherent magical properties. It is used to make valuable ceremonial, symbolic, and decorative items, but it seems magically inert in all contexts in which we've seen it.

I don't think the weirwood on its own would kill the dragons. It definately has something to do with the blood sacrafice in front of the weirwood tree.

Bloodraven was also known for using a weirwood bow and weirwood arrows as his primary weapon. His personal guard - the Raven's Teeth - were all archers as well.

During the first Blackfyre Rebellion, on Redgrass Field, Bloodraven personally slew Daemon Blackfyre with an arrow from his bow, IIRC.

So, I wouldn't put it past Rivers, who was said to be a sorcerer (and who certainly is a greenseer), to have used blood magic on his arrows so they would strike true and kill their target.

He could share this knowledge with Bran, and perhaps others through the weirwood network.

Furthermore, put dragonglass tips on these magicked arrows and you've got a perfect weapon for killing Others!

I don't think the weirwood on its own would kill the dragons. It definately has something to do with the blood sacrafice in front of the weirwood tree.

Well, obviously the arrows will need to be enchanted somehow, most likely with blood magic, since it's 1) the most powerful kind of magic (Qyburn); 2) the magic Old Gods also seem to prefer; 3) the only kind of magic, basically, which we see really "working" in the novels (too many examples to cite).

Arya can't use a bow and arrow in the books, afaik.

Well it's never been indicated, yes, so basically you're right but I consider this something like Show Foreshadowing. Martin is much more involved than some of us think, they ask him about stuff they decide to put on their own, like whether the detail matters and will it contradict with the general story. I mean, if it was important for Arya to not be skilled with a bow, this scene wouldn't be there.

Regardless of dragon once roaming entire continents - which is,in all fairness,ridiculously long time ago to be considered,that doesn't explain Brandon's (I believe we saw him in Bran's vision) certainity in dragonlore and thus actions than come from it. He was prepared to sneak in and to kill the dragons. That's not something even rash person would do. And it is too much of a risk to enter such a venture based on legends only. There is more to Brandon - he was making bows. We know only with them one can kill a dragon. How did he know that?

Bare in mind that maesters,being schooled in the Citadel and under Hightowers' protectorate,can represent a matter of conflicted interests,once they are to serve other kings.(Northerners are suspicious of that even today).

Archived