Greatest Fictional AntiHero

Bronson

Larry Underwood from "The Stand" by Stephen King is a good example of an anti-hero.

Really? Isn't he just a standard hero who did some minor assholish stuff in his past? Post-catastrophe he's pretty much straight Good Guy, can't think of anything morally questionable he did beyond "I used to be a selfish cokehead pop star".

Really? Isn't he just a standard hero who did some minor assholish stuff in his past? Post-catastrophe he's pretty much straight Good Guy, can't think of anything morally questionable he did beyond "I used to be a selfish cokehead pop star".

Larry strikes me as anti-hero material because of his treatment of the older woman he has the thing with who overdoses in the tent. He also is constantly fighting the assholish behavior with regards to Nadine. He does the 'standup guy' thing and stays with his woman, but he is sorely tempted.

I'm sorry I cannot remember some of these character's names...it's been about 10 years since I last read that book. I need to get it back out. That was a great read.

Larry strikes me as anti-hero material because of his treatment of the older woman he has the thing with who overdoses in the tent. He also is constantly fighting the assholish behavior with regards to Nadine. He does the 'standup guy' thing and stays with his woman, but he is sorely tempted.

It has been a while for me too, did he do anything bad to the woman other than not bury her? Can't say I blame him for that.

No, he was just not very patient with her. He is not a straight up hero in the series, like Stu, but he's not a bad guy, although his internal monologue constantly tells him that he is.

I'm sorry I cannot remember some of these character's names...it's been about 10 years since I last read that book. I need to get it back out. That was a great read.

Then we get into an argument about whether actions or thoughts make people good. You would almost think that this thread was started by sciborg.

But yeah, after that woman in the city Larry was pretty straight as far as I can tell. Him being tempted is not a sign of him being an anti-hero, it's a sign of him being a human character. Him not giving into temptation makes him look more like a hero.

"In fiction, an antihero[1] (sometimes antiheroine as the feminine) is generally considered to be a protagonist whose personality can be perceived as being villainous and heroic together, in contrast to the more perpetually noble characteristics of an archetypal hero or the perpetually immoral characteristics of an archetypal villain. The term dates to 1714,[2] although literary criticism identifies the term in earlier literature.[3]"

I would say, based on Larry's thoughts, he fits the bill. But that's just my opinion. :)

"In fiction, an antihero[1] (sometimes antiheroine as the feminine) is generally considered to be a protagonist whose personality can be perceived as being villainous and heroic together, in contrast to the more perpetually noble characteristics of an archetypal hero or the perpetually immoral characteristics of an archetypal villain. The term dates to 1714,[2] although literary criticism identifies the term in earlier literature.[3]"

I would say, based on Larry's touts, he fits the bill. But that's just my opinion.

I'm guessing that no one here read Hannibal Rising.

I'm guessing that no one here read Hannibal Rising.

I did and it was horrible. I think Hannibal should be totally out of the discussion based on how crappy the book was. ;)

Edited for thick fingers....gaaaahhhhh.

Anne karenina, "K" from the castle, Estella Havisham and Viserys Targaryen and his sister too

We've already discussed Anna K., but how do you figure Miss H. And Viserys?? Miss H. does redeem herself, but Viserys is just awful.

Edited to say - I am probably wrong about all of the above but will stand by Viserys. I would have run away from home if I had been Dany. ;)

We've already discussed Anna K., but how do you figure Miss H. And Viserys?? Miss H. does redeem herself, but Viserys is just awful.

I guess I just feel like I understand him very well, a special connection I guess. His story is tragic and all he ever wanted was the crown. All hail Viserys titles titles

I guess I just feel like I understand him very well, a special connection I guess. His story is tragic and all he ever wanted was the crown. All hail Viserys titles titles

I certainly won't throw any stones your way...I adore Cersei and Jaime. We aSoIaF fans are pretty nuts. :)

I would say, based on Larry's thoughts, he fits the bill. But that's just my opinion. :)

Yeah, but is Larry's personality really bad? He thinks he's bad, he may have been bad at some point, but he acts fine. For the personality to overwhelm a person's actions it has to be really bad and their actions have to be forced.

It all depends on where you draw the line on noble. Someone thinking about leaving his girlfriend for another woman and not doing it seems less of an asshole and more of a person. Someone unable to see the problems with a woman who didn't have the strength to survive while he goes through the ruin of the world is not the best person, but they're human.

If you think that heroes should not have such temptations then I guess he would count *Shrug* I just don't think that nobility is necessarily the absence of bad thoughts. eta: At least not those that are about sleeping with Woman X instead of going home to Woman Y.

Speaking of which: Dexter?

Oh brother. Take it away, it's all yours.

No, no, lite chick. You take it. I'm sorry I offended you...I just hated that book. But I do not want to offend you. You take it, and I will defend Hannibal as an anti-hero even though I want to smack him. :)

Totally agree. He is not an anti hero in my opinion either.

EDIT: It seems I have a stricter definition of what an anti hero is than many others though.

Archived