October Reads

mashiara

Thanks for the Rapture info!

I'm curious about what you'll think of Fenrir. Some people thought it was better than Wolfsangel, but I was the opposite; I thought it was a step down. Still going to try to get to the third book before the end of the year.

If I enjoy Fenrir even 75% as much as I enjoyed Wolfsangel, then I'll be absolutely thrilled. I loved the first book, and so far Fenrir is living up to it (I'm not that far though - just over a tenth of the way).

Reading Shadow of the Torturer - enjoying it so far... about 1/3rd of the way in.

Enjoy. Wish I could experience that series again for the first time. I especially like the beginning section of Shadow of the Torturer. Wolfe's writing is the best I've read in science fiction and fantasy. I really need to read more of his work.

Enjoy. Wish I could experience that series again for the first time. I especially like the beginning section of Shadow of the Torturer. Wolfe's writing is the best I've read in science fiction and fantasy. I really need to read more of his work.

I liked the way I saw the sort of "turning point" for the main character coming and yet at the same time I wasn't sure exactly how it would work or play out.

I was pretty sure he would be involved in torturing Thecla but not exactly sure what the ramifications would be, although I knew it would lead to something.

It was exactly the right amount of foreseeable - a lot of people would have gone much heavier on foreshadowing, or tried to make it come out of nowhere, but this was just right. It's not too long, so I'm hoping to finish it tonight, but each page is dense, so we'll see. I'm at around 60% now, I think.

I have decided to give book two in the Mistborn trilogy another shot. I remember liking the first one well enough, but book two just didnt grip me last time.

Sanderson drives me nuts at times, but he is usually still entertaining.

Safe to say a few if us have. I loved it and The Scar. I liked PSS better myself, and need to reread it by the end of the year.

Is it good? Purchased it on the back of some reviews I read, wouldn't mind someone on here's thoughts though.

Yes, I found that very sloggerific.

It is, but it's also very good, very philosophical and thoughtful.

Is it good? Purchased it on the back of some reviews I read, wouldn't mind someone on here's thoughts though.

I liked it a bit, but I've since realized that China Miéville is not an author that I want to read further (after reading another of his books Un Lun Dun). I'm just not a fan of weird only for the sake of being weird; I don't mind weird if it serves a purpose, but in my opinion it rarely did in the books I've read by Miéville.

Recently I've gotten reviews posted for Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch and Dancing With Bears by Michael Swanwick. I still owe reviews for Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff and Trapped by Kevin Hearne. I've also read but probably won't review Two Ravens and One Crow a novella by Kevin Hearne and the prologue to A Memory of Light by Jordan and Sandeson - By Grace and Banners Fallen (in spite of my anger at having to pay for a prologue they should be giving away for free). I just started Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leict, which is looking to every bit as good as I thought it would be.

I think The Scar and Perdido Street Station are both great. Iron Council often gets forgotten, but I loved it almost as much as the first two. I've enjoyed nearly every book Mieville has written, but I would agree that nothing has really eclipsed his early works, like Perdido and The Scar. They just lacked the emotional punch and complex world building that made Perdido and The Scar so awesome. I hope he returns to the world of Bas-Lag someday.

People might think I'm nuts, but now that I have less than fifty pages left in Shadow of the Torturer, I feel like it's weirdly reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland. A really dark weird Alice in Wonderland, but it has that sort of episodic and surreal feeling for me thus far... perhaps it's the

botanic gardens/mirrors/killer flowers all in a row, not to mention the masks, the giant, and the undead (I assume) girl

I thought it was pretty decent. It seems like it is pretty well liked around here though It was hard for me to get over beetle people in relationships with people people. It was not good enough to make me want to read anymore Mieville.

I thought it was pretty decent. It seems like it is pretty well liked around here though It was hard for me to get over beetle people in relationships with people people. It was not good enough to make me want to read anymore Mieville.

For me it was good enough that I've read every book by Mieville since, except for King Rat and Un Lun Dun.

People might think I'm nuts, but now that I have less than fifty pages left in Shadow of the Torturer, I feel like it's weirdly reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland. A really dark weird Alice in Wonderland, but it has that sort of episodic and surreal feeling for me thus far... perhaps it's the

botanic gardens/mirrors/killer flowers all in a row, not to mention the masks, the giant, and the undead (I assume) girl

Definitely very surreal and bizarre. It becomes more epic later on. Book 3 is probably my favorite. Followed by 1,4, and then 2.

I thought the Bas Lag books were great - The Scar was stronger than PSS in both plot and pacing IMO. The interpersonal resolution to Iron Council was one of the most satisfying things I've ever read. I've liked Mieville's other books somewhat less - the two most recent, Embassytown and Railsea, were really frustrating for me and I wouldn't have continued reading his books if I'd read those two first.

I think with PSS though, WYSIWYG from the beginning. If you read the first 3 chapters and want to continue, you'll probably enjoy the rest. If you read the first 3 chapters and aren't liking it, you're probably not going to start liking it.

Finished A Crown of Swords today. I thought it was a better paced book than Lord of Chaos and basically raced through it (in comparison to my usual reading pace). I'm officially halfway through the series and that's with reading New Spring in between The Fires of Heaven and Lord of Chaos, I know I won't get finished by January for A Memory of Light (plus I won't buy that book until it's published in Mass Paperback since I have the rest of the books in that).

With that I've finished 18 full books, plus a part of another, for a total of over 10 000 pages and it's not even the middle of October.

Up next, The Story of The Moors in Spain by Stanley Lane-Poole. A re-published history book, first published in 1886.

I thought the Bas Lag books were great - The Scar was stronger than PSS in both plot and pacing IMO. The interpersonal resolution to Iron Council was one of the most satisfying things I've ever read. I've liked Mieville's other books somewhat less - the two most recent, Embassytown and Railsea, were really frustrating for me and I wouldn't have continued reading his books if I'd read those two first.

I read The City and the City first and followed it up with Embassytown. The former didn't live up to the premise's potential, but I loved the latter. The Bas Lag books really are strikingly different in tone and style from what came after. I read The Scar during the summer and loved it to death. Perdido had far less of an impact on me. Railsea is on my queue.

Archived