October Reads

mashiara

Bill Watterson: The Essential Calvin and Hobbes - :) :) :)

Colette: Gigi - great (and perfectly disgusting)

Grazia Deledda: Chiaroscuro - good

Corrado Alvaro: Vocesana és Primante (Vocesana and Primante)- good

Cesare Zavattini: Karácsonyi történet (A Christmas Story) - good

Robert Ludlum: The Chancellor Manuscript - utterly bad, stopped reading after the first chapter

Joy Adamson: A pettyes szfinx (The Spotted Sphinx) - good, strongly recommended

Henri Charriere: Papillon - gripping (fake or not, who cares?)

After not having much time to read for a while I decided to get through the last of the The Count of Monte Cristo last night. It was, as I am sure most of you know, ridiculously good.

For now I have decided to move on to some Terry Pratchett and after going through my books I realized I somehow missed Thief of Time and Unseen Academicals, so those will be next. (I also realized I lost my copy of Interesting Times and this annoys me to no end!)

After that I need my non-fiction fix, but have no idea what to read. I want something fun and lighthearted, but still very interesting, perhaps something like A Short History of Nearly Everything (in style). I would love some suggestions if anyone has any...

After that I need my non-fiction fix, but have no idea what to read. I want something fun and lighthearted, but still very interesting, perhaps something like A Short History of Nearly Everything (in style). I would love some suggestions if anyone has any...

Have you read Bill Bryson's new one? At Home? It's really excellent and wildly informative.

Been re-reading Abercrombie in anticipation for Red Country. Finished the First Law Trilogy a week ago, and reading Best Served Cold now. Just at the end :) . Only Heroes left before I can read Red Country. I got to say, these novels are very amusing. Even better on the re-read actually.

Have you read Bill Bryson's new one? At Home? It's really excellent and wildly informative.

Thanks! I had planned to read it when it first came out but read somewhere that it wasn't as good as his other books. Since you guys liked it I will definitely read it. :)

ETA: It would be pretty sweet if the Non-Fiction thread Halo Bender just bumped could be stickied. The non-fantasy recommendation thread that is stickied doesn't have a lot of non-fiction.

I'm finally getting Tales of Dunk and Egg, very excited. It's difficult to get those books without paying a fortune. As an aside I finished Beyond the Wall and besides one poor essay somewhere in the middle by one of the female authors , I thought it was a good read.

I finally finished Peter F Hamiltons The Reality Dysfunction as part of his Nights Dawn Trilogy.

I loved it, the final third of the book really took off in terms of pace and excitment and there is some brilliant characters in there. Now I need to get the final 2 books and find time to read them, but theres a few books I want to read/reread in the meantime.

Strangely, the book is around 1200pages long, but it took me far longer then any of GRRMs books to finish, and its not like I didnt enjoy it any less.

I finally finished Peter F Hamiltons The Reality Dysfunction as part of his Nights Dawn Trilogy.

I loved it, the final third of the book really took off in terms of pace and excitment and there is some brilliant characters in there. Now I need to get the final 2 books and find time to read them, but theres a few books I want to read/reread in the meantime.

Strangely, the book is around 1200pages long, but it took me far longer then any of GRRMs books to finish, and its not like I didnt enjoy it any less.

thanks for the reminder! i purchased this right before moving house and had forgotten all about it. i'll bump this up the queue once i locate it. nice to hear that you enjoyed it :cheers:

about nearing the end of abraham's a betrayal in winter and am enjoying it immensely. the fractal prince is every bit as awesome as i'd wanted it to be so far, as well.

started storm front by jim butcher on a lark and didn't put it down till the kindle said i was at 32%. lots of folk say that the first two are forgettable compared to books 3 and beyond and if that's the case, i'm gonna love me some harry dresden by the time it is all said and done.

Finished Rapture, the third book in the Bel Dame Apocrypha by Kameron Hurley. Thought it had a few plotting issues so I didn't like it quite as much as Infidel, but it was still quite good. I don't think there are any more books planned for this universe for now. Nevertheless, I'll definitely be picking up whatever the author writes next.

Also, read Soul Music by Pratchett. Decent Discworld book, though not my favorite.

Before Soul Music, I had read a little bit of Kalpa Imperial by Angelica Gorodischer (translated by Le Guin) and now I'm going back to that while I wait for Red Country.

Also, read Soul Music by Pratchett. Decent Discworld book, though not my favorite.

At times Pratchett goes for the easy joke, and i felt like that book was one of the worst offenders. Basically, there was some great stuff with Susan, then a lot of easy jokes. Still funny, but I agree, not his sharpest at all.

I finished Fenrir by M.D. Lachlan the other day and it was just a fantastic read. I really can't believe how much I enjoy these books. They are a perfect blend of vikings, Norse mythology, 10th century politics, and werewolf mythos. The action sequences are great and the character building is extremely interesting. But the best part for me is any scene in which Loki appears; he just steals the show every single time. The epilogue contained an amazing retelling of the book's tale several generations after the fact, including revealing who one of the main characters actually was (which people who have an extensive knowledge of Norse mythology should be able to pick up on without the spoon feeding). I think I still liked Wolfsangel a bit more but they're both excellent, and I can't wait to read Lord of Slaughter... next month?

I'm a third of the way through Rapture by Kameron Hurley, and so far it's great.

Archived