New Stills from Season 2 feature the Death of Irri

Westeros

Here’s an interesting photo gallery: stills from the second season taken by Paul Schiraldi, one of the on-set photographers for Game of Thrones (and a number of other HBO shows, past and present, by the looks of it).

Among the many stills never seen before? This one, taking during a scene that was cut, featuring the murder (by strangling) of Irri. It was something left vaguely mysterious and unclear, though by the final episode the implication was clear enough—but now we can see just how the first thought of staging the scene.

(Thanks to Kissed by Fire for pointing it out.)

Visit the Site!

I'm assuming that means there was an entire scene then that was filmed and then cut? Any word if it, and any other deleted scenes, will be in the Season 2 DVDs?

It does reraise the interesting question of why Doreah betrayed Dany in the first place. As it happened in the show it at least left the possibility that Doreah was somehow hoodwinked or coerced, but it seems as though they planned for her to do a complete Face-Heel-Turn for apparently no reason. Of course that might not be canon any longer as they cut the scene and I doubt we'll be honoured with an explanation.

It does reraise the interesting question of why Doreah betrayed Dany in the first place. As it happened in the show it at least left the possibility that Doreah was somehow hoodwinked or coerced, but it seems as though they planned for her to do a complete Face-Heel-Turn for apparently no reason. Of course that might not be canon any longer as they cut the scene and I doubt we'll be honoured with an explanation.

In the show when Doreah is found in bed with Xaro she say's "Khaleesi please , he said you would never leave Quarth alive" so apparently she was tempted by greed to be Xaro's bit on the side in return for betraying Dany , killing Irri and helping to steal the Dragons, still it would have been nice to have seen the scene left in the show.

In the show when Doreah is found in bed with Xaro she say's "Khaleesi please , he said you would never leave Quarth alive" so apparently she was tempted by greed to be Xaro's bit on the side in return for betraying Dany , killing Irri and helping to steal the Dragons, still it would have been nice to have seen the scene left in the show.

It would've been nice if they'd written a story that made an ounce of sense but hey you can't have everything in life :P.

It would've been nice if they'd written a story that made an ounce of sense but hey you can't have everything in life :P.

It made plenty of sense.

• Rakharo arrives in Qarth, spreading the news of the 'Mother of Dragons'
  • Xaro and Pyat Pree begin their plotting
  • Xaro warns Doreah that Dany won't survive Qarth, so she swaps sides
  • As the dragons respond to Doreah, she takes them for Pyat Pree and kills Irri

Of course, the story itself is quite contrived. It's quite clear that they didn't want to pay for Barristan, Missandei and Daario on top of Irri and Doreah, so they just scrapped them both. But I don't see how it doesn't make sense.

It made plenty of sense.

• Rakharo arrives in Qarth, spreading the news of the 'Mother of Dragons'
  • Xaro and Pyat Pree begin their plotting
  • Xaro warns Doreah that Dany won't survive Qarth, so she swaps sides
  • As the dragons respond to Doreah, she takes them for Pyat Pree and kills Irri

Of course, the story itself is quite contrived. It's quite clear that they didn't want to pay for Barristan, Missandei and Daario on top of Irri and Doreah, so they just scrapped them both. But I don't see how it doesn't make sense.

Xaro must have some men kill his own guards as well, leaving him without any guards when Dany leaves the House of the Undying and return to seek revenge of him. (Or Dany and the surviving Dothraki enter Xaro's house ninja-style off-camera?) Why no just capture Dany together with the dragons instead of the elaborate show with all the killed guards?

Having Xaro kill his collegegues, declare himself king, and then stage an attack on his own mansion that kills off his own guards seems like two oddly disjointed events. That Xaro has no guards at all when Dany returns seems incredible.

The whole story arc of Dany season two leaves me with the clear feeling that the producers dropped the plot from the book for some obscure reason, just having Dany do a make-work thing to give her a little camera time, while nothing she did really mattered. Why they chose that inane made-up story arc instead of just following the book is beyond me, as it could have been done fairly easily, except for the House of the Undying. And we know how that turned out anyway...

Didn't you write a suggestion about Xaro arbritarily accusing Dany for stealing something, and that leading to the climax?

Those who live in glass houses...

No, the accusation was a completely dispensable plot point I suggested as filler. My suggestion worked just fine without it and made a lot more sense than what happened in the show imo.

There was really no reason given for why Doreah changed sides and certainly not enough for her to strangle Irri.

There was really no reason given for why Doreah changed sides and certainly not enough for her to strangle Irri.

There was. Doreah tells Dany why she betrayed her in the last episode.

The whole story arc of Dany season two leaves me with the clear feeling that the producers dropped the plot from the book for some obscure reason, just having Dany do a make-work thing to give her a little camera time, while nothing she did really mattered.

The Dany arc in S2 was definitely the weakest part of the season for me. Especially how they wrapped it up in E10. But, I do know why they changed the plot from the books. Dany doesn't do much in the books. :) Pity they couldn't have spent more time making the changes work though.

There was. Doreah tells Dany why she betrayed her in the last episode.

No she just says "They said you'd never leave Qarth alive." That doesn't really explain anything. I'm guessing that D+D couldn't actually think of a reasonable justification for her betrayal so they just gave her a vague line which we could interpret however we liked. Certainly there's no explanation for why she turned into a cold-blooded killer.

Xaro must have some men kill his own guards as well, leaving him without any guards when Dany leaves the House of the Undying and return to seek revenge of him. (Or Dany and the surviving Dothraki enter Xaro's house ninja-style off-camera?) Why no just capture Dany together with the dragons instead of the elaborate show with all the killed guards?

Having Xaro kill his collegegues, declare himself king, and then stage an attack on his own mansion that kills off his own guards seems like two oddly disjointed events. That Xaro has no guards at all when Dany returns seems incredible.

Xaro had promised, with the sacred law of Qarth, to aid Dany and protect her. Therefore he had to remove his colleagues before he revealed his true intentions. What would be the best way to do that? Secretly steal the dragons, kill off a couple of his own guards, and then have the 13 meet in one location.

Dany has about 80 people in her khalasar (at least a third of whom must be capable of fighting) and three dragons who just roasted a warlock. The dragons may be small, but they're more powerful than they were at this point in the books.

The whole story arc of Dany season two leaves me with the clear feeling that the producers dropped the plot from the book for some obscure reason, just having Dany do a make-work thing to give her a little camera time, while nothing she did really mattered. Why they chose that inane made-up story arc instead of just following the book is beyond me, as it could have been done fairly easily, except for the House of the Undying. And we know how that turned out anyway...

The book plot is good but not too interesting, particularly when we take into account that she wasn't going to meet Barristan, and that the House of the Undying would not be like the book version. In addition, they chose to remove 'Vaes Tolorro', the abandoned city that Dany finds in the Red Waste. Without this, sticking to the books, all that would happen would be that Dany travels the Red Waste, stays with Xaro Xhoan Daxos, gets rejected by the leaders of Qarth, and then visits the House of the Undying. D&D clearly, for some reason, decided that this wasn't good enough for the main female character on the show, so they changed it.

No she just says "They said you'd never leave Qarth alive." That doesn't really explain anything. I'm guessing that D+D couldn't actually think of a reasonable justification for her betrayal so they just gave her a vague line which we could interpret however we liked. Certainly there's no explanation for why she turned into a cold-blooded killer.

What about that comment is "vague"? She says that Xaro told her Dany was going to die in Qarth, so she decided to join him in the hope of staying alive.

She was stupid, yeah, but I don't see how the story made sense. Oh and, of course, it's very unlikely that Doreah would say anything else. "Oh Khaleesi I joined Xaro because I hate you" wouldn't be something you'd want to say to the woman who has your life in her hands.

Archived