Oberyn Martell-Who Should Play The Red Viper Of Dorne ?

Flaming Heart

Why do people keep fancasting light-skinned white dudes for this role? :dunno:

Like Jason Isaacs. Funny they mention he has a widow peak like Oberyn but they forget about his milky pale skin.

Like Jason Isaacs. Funny they mention he has a widow peak like Oberyn but they forget about his milky pale skin.

Maybe because they had supposedly been seeking a non-white actor to play Daario, but ended up with pale skinned Ed Skrein instead?

Looks like Alexander Siddig's chances of being cast as a Martell have just plummeted. He's playing Al-Rahim in Da Vinchi's Demons :ack: , a role that looks to be recurring. Such a waste of a decent actor in a seriously crappy show.

HBO really needs to look no further than James Purefoy for Oberyn. He has already played Mark Antony in HBO's Rome series, a somewhat similar sexually promiscuous, athletic, physically strong character. He is already black of hair.

Omar Metwally seems perfect to me. Dark hair with a dark complexion, he's is 39 but can pass for around 40 something and looks sturdy enough for a warrior type with a little extra weight training.

While Dorne has no irl equivalent I think we can all agree it is close to the Al-Andalus period in Spain with the Martell's seat in Sunspear being similar to the architecture of Alhambra in Granada and in that period the Spanish we see today lived and mixed with the Moorish North African's. If the Martell's are Salty Dornishmen who were to most Rhoynar looking I'm thinking they will be North African in appearance hence why I think Omar would be perfect.

He was in Twilight though. xD

What about the guy who played Desmond in LOST? Henry Ian Cusick? I think he, besides the Bolly actors, would make an awesome Oberyn!

Big fan of Henry Ian Cusick, but he's another actor I'd rather see in another role. Perhaps as Jon Connington (as it's more than unlikely we'd get the actor I was talking about above). I'm still all for Cliff Simon in this role. He's got the right look for the part, and the show, and is a very physical actor who is good at playing the type of character Oberyn is. I liked another of the suggestions from above, as well - Amr Waked. Haven't seen him act in anything, though, so I'm just going by his general look.

HBO really needs to look no further than James Purefoy for Oberyn. He has already played Mark Antony in HBO's Rome series, a somewhat similar sexually promiscuous, athletic, physically strong character. He is already black of hair.

James Purefoy was the first actor that I thought of when I read about Oberyn. He already looks completely Mediterranean while actually being British - I noticed him first in A Knight's Tale playing Edward, the Black Prince of Wales. I was 13 at the time and thought he was really handsome and had a really charming voice (his Edward was my favorite character in the movie).

Just see this. http://i41.tinypic.com/11m4w89.jpg

Oberyn always struck me as a Spaniard-like figure and I think Purefoy looks close enough to one.

James Purefoy was the first actor that I thought of when I read about Oberyn. He already looks completely Mediterranean while actually being British

In what world does Purefoy look Mediterranean??

It never ceases to amaze me that even when we have a group of characters who are explicitly stated to have darker colouring, people still cast white Caucasian actors. Don't you guys have enough lighter-skinned characters in the series already?

Archived