Sansa Stark, A Portrait of a Psychopath?

Morgemil

This is horribly off-topic, but damnit Florina! why did you change your amazing title?

Oh it'll be back. I just loved that face so much....

I believe Foxhound was very much joking. Also glad to know I did not misremember that scene — Sansa kept a stiff upper lip because it was ladylike, not because it wasn't affecting her because she's the next Lizzie Borden (red hair though, never a good sign ...).

Yeah ok, after really looking at it i was all "sarcasm detector is glitching..."

The fact that Sansa thinks "There will never be songs for this one. That was sad." notes that she does feel sorry for Ser Hugh at that moment. Shes trying to rationalize why shes not feeling anything for him dying. But she also wants to appear like a good lady.

I believe Foxhound was very much joking. Also glad to know I did not misremember that scene — Sansa kept a stiff upper lip because it was ladylike, not because it wasn't affecting her because she's the next Lizzie Borden (red hair though, never a good sign ...).

Yeah, I was trying to illustrate that Sansa being a psychopath who is just mimicking human emotions to mask her true nature is absurd. Instead in that scene it's the opposite: she pretends to be a psychopath to Joffrey in order to cover up her actual feelings of empathy and compassion.

Furthermore it shows that while Sansa may not burst into tears when someone is accidentally killed in front of her, when a man is about to be murdered she instinctively says "No." I think the latter example illustrates her character more than the former.

The fact that Sansa thinks "There will never be songs for this one. That was sad." notes that she does feel sorry for Ser Hugh at that moment. Shes trying to rationalize why shes not feeling anything for him dying. But she also wants to appear like a good lady.

It seems to me that Sansa has difficulty with feelings, sometimes. Sometimes she has too many and other times, too few. And she also has a tendency to internalize everything, to distance herself emotionally from some events. It's understandable.

I'm unsure if any of that made sense, because I just drank half a bottle of wine. But I'm trying!

lawlz! Nah i think youre on to something. It could be how she was taught. "a lady must be [insert thing here]" But when she experiences really traumatizing things, she sorta "goes away inside". I say that in particular because a couple of other characters mention "going away inside". I think thats one of the reasons why she invents the Unkiss with Sandor. Hugely conflicted feelings going on anyway and a traumatic experience. Her coming to believe the story about Marillion and Lysa and the Moon Door is a huge indicator too. Despite her actually witnessing the truth.

lawlz! Nah i think youre on to something. It could be how she was taught. "a lady must be [insert thing here]" But when she experiences really traumatizing things, she sorta "goes away inside". I say that in particular because a couple of other characters mention "going away inside". I think thats one of the reasons why she invents the Unkiss with Sandor. Hugely conflicted feelings going on anyway and a traumatic experience. Her coming to believe the story about Marillion and Lysa and the Moon Door is a huge indicator too. Despite her actually witnessing the truth.

Yes! I would say it is actually quite a worrying trait. I think some of her more worrying characteristics could be compared to Arya's in a way; they are both dealing with struggling to hold on to their original identities and both have coping mechanisms to protect themselves.

Whew. Should've put that wine glass down a loooong time ago.

However, on a side note I think people should look to Catelyn. Catelyn did everything she thought a lady should do as her duty, yet that also did not give her time to grieve, work out emotions, or even express her emotions. Which is why the loss piled on top of her and she literally had a psychotic episode when Robb was killed. I mean, under that sort of pressure it could have happened to anyone, but what's disturbing is that it was that severe.

Also, look at the way Lysa ended up. Something with emotions is not quite right with them

She is not a psychopath, but self centered casual cruelty is quite evident in her inner views of Jon, Mycah etc.

She has empathy for those she for some reason identifies with, but has this strange ability to switch off her caring side completely when dealing with those she deems of unsuitable station.

It is not a conscious decision. It is just part of her view of the natural order of things.

Sure, it's how she was brought up, but she has taken to this worldview with far too much enthusiasm, compared to others in her family who were raised exactly in the same way, but who have a far more balanced attitude towards the "common masses".

So no, not a psychopath by anu stretch of the imagination, but a selfish, prejudiced type most definitely.

Eh, the description in that particular scene...I get why you thought the way you did. It is phrased oddly. GRRM made unusual choices there, yeah.

But as has been mentioned by everyone else, I don't think it bears up in light of other actions of hers. Spoiled, selfish, etc. Yeah. And imo since Ned, really operating on a basic survival level, so I think detachment and the like are to be expected. But I don't see behaviour consistent with that scene, in the respect you are considering.

O.o

either you don't understand Sansa (*at all*), or you don't understand the notion psychopathy.

It's a very complex, very difficult to identify and diagnose disorder. The common "psychopathy checklists" have 20+ different aspects of which the individual must have most of the traits. Plus the newer "checklists" requires that the individual have traits in different sub-facets (like lifestyle, early behaviour, interpersonal etc.). So you can't even be abnormal in just one facet. Plus it's very hotly debated whether psychopathy should be considered a seperate personality disorder (i.e. peeps don't agree if it exists or not). The DSM currently has no seperate "psychopathy" disorder (just antisocial personality disorder); and there's no way anyone can argue that she has ASPD. Besides, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to identify one such "psychopathy" trait in... um pretty much anyone alive if you looked closely enough.

What you "identified" is ONE trait, which she exhibited on ONE occasion. And this one scene can be described as momentary dissociation in order to deal with a traumatic event (she does the same thing later when Joffrey takes her to see Ned's head).

What is this I don't even...?

:rofl: Don't be silly Lyanna. He / She has clearly read one of Sansa's future chapters where she tortures Tommen's kittens infront of him for fun.

However joking aside, the OP has raised an incredibly important point:

"Sansa Stark, A Portrait of a Psychopath?"

Where is the artwork in ASOIAF? Apart from Dragon tapestries and a few mentions of sculptures, there seems to be very little painting.

I think most of us are just really confused that this is even a topic (at least speaking for myself). And the question was sufficiently answered in like the second post.

I admit I had to laugh at the title but indeed, I doubt the OP truely knows the definition of a psychopath.

Go to wiki and look up John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer I'd say.

Archived