Small questions, because we can't get enough of them

Angalin

I'm re-reading, nearing the end of the third book. I seem to remember that only a member of the Kingsguard could defend a prince/king/queen in trial by battle. How is Cersei able to name Gregor her champion against Tyrion?

Cersei had asked Kevan to get Tommen to name Qyburn's creation (Robert Strong) to the Kingsguard earlier. There's a line in the chapter after her walk of shame in which she realizes that Kevan fulfilled her wish.

Cersei had asked Kevan to get Tommen to name Qyburn's creation (Robert Strong) to the Kingsguard earlier. There's a line in the chapter after her walk of shame in which she realizes that Kevan fulfilled her wish.

No, I mean when Tyrion is accused of killing Joffery. Tyrion asks Bronn to champion him but Bronn doesn't want to fight Gregor.

Oh I see, for that earlier one Cersei was accusing Tyrion of murder. She picked Clegane because of his connections to House Lannister. She wasn't quite a queen, technically, what with Tywin acting as de facto ruler as the (dead) king's Hand. And with Joffrey being dead, the Kingsguard wouldn't be 'required' to fight the trial by combat since he wasn't accusing Tyrion nor having to defend himself.

It wasn't a trial between House Baratheon against Tyrion but rather House Lannister vs House Lannister.

I'm re-reading, nearing the end of the third book. I seem to remember that only a member of the Kingsguard could defend a prince/king/queen in trial by battle. How is Cersei able to name Gregor her champion against Tyrion?

IIRC it's mentioned in AFFC that the custom/law is more specific - only in cases when the Queen is accused she's required to choose a member of the KG to be her champion in a trial by battle. It doesn't apply to other members of the royal family like Tyrion are accused, even when the accuser is the Queen.

In the show season 1 varys asks about bran and Ned says he won't walk and varys says so is mind is sound and then he says something bout one door closing and others opening .. Was this in book where it would imply he knows brans abilities would come?

Varys doesn't know anything about Bran. People are reading far too much into this.

There was some percentage that corresponded to major events of AGoT = Ned, ACoK = Bran and Rickon, ASoS = Red Wedding. I can't remember it for the life of me. Please help!

... What? I have no idea what you're asking or talking about.

Someone did a comparison of the point at which the really big events of each book occurred Ned's beheading, the "death" of Bran and Rickon, and lastly, the Red Wedding. They all occurred at about the same point in each book, at 74%, but I do not remember the number.

This, and the original question, is really very poorly worded, sorry everyone.

I guess I gotta look back again, I thought in his story to Dany about leaving the city he says something about having nowhere to go if not the White Tower. I guess he does have to get his stuff. Just seems like an odd thing to do with a troupe of Gold Cloaks chasing you.

It is odd, that is why Jaimes take note off the fact.

Why did they have to sneak the strangler stone in on Sansa's hairnet? Couldn't the queen of thorns just have hidden it on her person? Were they strip searching the wedding guests?

Probably to have someone take the blame if somethings don't go according to the plan.

Maybe Littlefinger wants Sansa to feel that she has no alternative other than to stick with him.

Oh I see, for that earlier one Cersei was accusing Tyrion of murder. She picked Clegane because of his connections to House Lannister. She wasn't quite a queen, technically, what with Tywin acting as de facto ruler as the (dead) king's Hand. And with Joffrey being dead, the Kingsguard wouldn't be 'required' to fight the trial by combat since he wasn't accusing Tyrion nor having to defend himself.

It wasn't a trial between House Baratheon against Tyrion but rather House Lannister vs House Lannister.

She was the Queen. There is no such thing as technically not queen.

She was not on trial, and the be represented by one of the KG is not necessarily a rule, remember when she was framing Margaery she thinks to herself that the Highsparow would have to agree with her in this? (He had the same opinion so she didn't need to do anything)

ETA: This rule, IMO, will depend on who is going to judge.

Hey there Guys. I have got a rather unimportant question, which nevertheless keeps on bugging me.

Since I didn´t read the novels in the original english I find myself wondering about the original wording in comparisson to the german translation.

There´s one example in particular: Hyle Hunts nickname for Brienne.

It´s translated with "Fechtsie" ("Fechter" means "swordsman" or more correctly "fencer") because the suffix "er" of "Fechter" indicates a male person (or counts as gender neutral) -

so the translator switched the "er" with "sie" (the german pronoun for "her"). The twist of the wordplay is that "sie" is in no way a suffix ("er" on the other hand is the male suffix and the male pronoun). The correct female form of "Fechter" would be "Fechterin" and not "Fechtsie".

Now to my question: What is the original nickname and how does this wordplay work in the original english version?

Is it "fence-her", "fight-her" or something entirely different, since the ending "er" is gender neutral in english ?

Hey there Guys. I have got a rather unimportant question, which nevertheless keeps on bugging me.

Since I didn´t read the novels in the original english I find myself wondering about the original wording in comparisson to the german translation.

There´s one example in particular: Hyle Hunts nickname for Brienne.

It´s translated with "Fechtsie" ("Fechter" means "swordsman" or more correctly "fencer") because the suffix "er" of "Fechter" indicates a male person (or counts as gender neutral) -

so the translator switched the "er" with "sie" (the german pronoun for "her"). The twist of the wordplay is that "sie" is in no way a suffix ("er" on the other hand is the male suffix and the male pronoun). The correct female form of "Fechter" would be "Fechterin" and not "Fechtsie".

Now to my question: What is the original nickname and how does this wordplay work in the original english version?

Is it "fence-her", "fight-her" or something entirely different, since the ending "er" is gender neutral in english ?

IIRC he calls her swordwench.

Yes because there is no "Schwertmann" as counterpart.

The only thing that doesn´t quiet fit is that the word "Fechter" is deeply connected to the fencing sport which makes it kind of odd.

Hence my interrest for the english version.

Archived