What would you do if Stannis died?

Cardinal Sin

I think it was his only choice, besides it was not overly painful, and saved the lives of many a soldier.

But it was his baby brother. I get why his fans think he would make a great king. But he killed his baby brother for the throne. Now I hated Renly also, it frustrated me cause I saw him trying to take Stannis' throne and not combining his strength with Stannis' pissed off. I turned on Stannis the second he killed Renly, Renly was being stupid and rash but Stannis shouldn't have killed him.

If the only means available to you are blood magic shadowbabies in order to seize the throne, then perhaps either A. you should have thought much longer and harder before fleeing KL so you could have conferred with Ned and avoided this debacle

He had to think, robert would never have beleived him. And he has no reason to trust ned.

B. realize that if this is all that's going for you, maybe you ought not be king, that maybe, just maybe there's something beyond being king than succession of birth.

The law, and as I said before if renly gets the throne there is a war whenever a lord or king dies between his sons.

He should have faced his brother like a f**** man, either challenge him in single combat before the Stormlords or fight on the field of battle and prove his military genius he supposedly posesses!

Yea renly would agree to a duel. And genius only goes so far, renly had way more men then him.

But it was his baby brother. I get why his fans think he would make a great king. But he killed his baby brother for the throne. Now I hated Renly also, it frustrated me cause I saw him trying to take Stannis' throne and not combining his strength with Stannis' pissed off. I turned on Stannis the second he killed Renly, Renly was being stupid and rash but Stannis shouldn't have killed him.

Why not? Stannis followed the law.

What other option did he have? Renly wasn't very hesitant to kill his brother.

Just to put this out there, I hope all of the individuals who are defending the shadow-baby method of assassination are as equally supportive of all the black magic that went into those dragons, and similarly cheer the power they bring to Dany.

Dany is going to use the dragons wether we like it or not. No use in complaining about it.

Just to put this out there, I hope all of the individuals who are defending the shadow-baby method of assassination are as equally supportive of all the black magic that went into those dragons, and similarly cheer the power they bring to Dany.

I'm opposed to magic generally, but having said that, there is an important difference. Everything that we have seen suggests that shadow-babies are a) are quite limited in the number of times they can be used and b ) very easy to control and direct. No collateral damage.

Yea renly would agree to a duel. And genius only goes so far, renly had way more men then him.

So don't fight him directly, retreat, find allies, fight another day, but don't kill your little brother with a shadow assassin who was just born out of eastern witch!

What other option did he have? Renly wasn't very hesitant to kill his brother.

Oh, interesting subject, lets say Stannis fought and was defeated. Stannis is taken captive, do we actually think Renly will kill him, I don't

So don't fight him directly, retreat, find allies, fight another day, but don't kill your little brother with a shadow assassin who was just born out of eastern witch!

Thats silly, why go through the trouble? Renly would have won, he has the reach and stormlands. The west and north are busy with each other, and the vale wont help.

He had to think, robert would never have beleived him. And he has no reason to trust ned.

The law, and as I said before if renly gets the throne there is a war whenever a lord or king dies between his sons.

1. He had no reason not to trust Ned. Stannis mentions several times how much he understood Ned's honor. If there's anyone Stannis had reason not to trust, it's the crazy who showed up at Dragonstone to tell him that he's some ancient prince.

2. The law isn't at clear cut as either you or Stannis seem to think it is. And while I admire the backbone it takes to follow something so whole-heartedly, I think Stannis' character shows us that faith in the law alone is not the path to rightness (same way other characters have deconstructed the concept of honor).

2. The law isn't at clear cut as either you or Stannis seem to think it is. And while I admire the backbone it takes to follow something so whole-heartedly, I think Stannis' character shows us that faith in the law alone is not the path to rightness (same way other characters have deconstructed the concept of honor).

But Renly being a traitor is pretty clear cut, isn't it?

So basically you are saying, kill him another day. Wow, that's just so much better.

The guy is so correct in everything, Stannis knows killing his brother is wrong and he does not care if thousands of soldiers die for his cause; just admit it was a dick move, I am convinced Stannis thinks it was (HBO serie confirms it)

Archived