Are Cat and UnCat considered the same character to you?

JaegrM

By this, I mean do Cat's strengths and flaws influence your opinion of UnCat, and her justifications for doing what she does?

Do you see UnCat and still see the woman who supported her son? The woman who defended Brienne?

The woman who kidnapped the Imp? The woman who freed the Kingslayer?

Or is UnCat a seperate, new character who wants all the Freys and Lannisters dead?

In a board debate about the strength of Cat's character would you feel justified in using UnCat's behavior?

So far, UnCat seems to be a very different person from good 'ol Catelyn. I don't think it's fair to judge Catelyn based on UnCat's actions, when UnCat seemingly has no other purpose but to exact revenge. I might change my mind once I see more of UnCat and the role she'll play in latter books.

Not the same at all. Uncat acts like she was buried in the Micmic burial ground in Pet Sematary. She is very, very creepy.

edit: Although now that I think about it, Beric's personality wasn't wildly different after resurrection (eventually he became more frayed, but after many lives). So perhaps Uncat's revenant persona is truly how she is now, without any sort of supernatural evil-sauce thrown in.

I can't say I see them in different lights. She was a vengeful person before, and she is a vengueful UnPerson now. Do you think kidnapping Tyrion without proof of his guilt isn't like UnCat? I do believe so. Only now her motive for revenge is much, much greater. She believes she has no children left, all of them killed by Boltons and Freys and Lannisters. She would've acted upon it then if she had the power. Now she is more than just a person. She is a symbol, feared and hated. That gives her more power than she had as Lady Stark. She is the same person to me. Broken, mad, yes, but the same person nonetheless.

UnCat is just a shade of Cat, and a rather dark shade at that. Reminds me of that quote from the movie "The Crow":

People once believed that when someone dies, a crow carries their soul to the land of the dead. But sometimes, something so bad happens that a terrible sadness is carried with it and the soul can't rest. Then sometimes, just sometimes, the crow can bring that soul back to put the wrong things right.

UnCat is motivated by her last moments of anguish and pain. She's but a vengeful ghost. But her ritual of a trial is interesting - I wonder, is this something Dondarion asked her to do as his successor? I forget...

Anyway, I wouldn't use UnCat's behaviour in a debate on Cat. It's interesting to compare them, but I'm not sure UnCat should be used as an argument when talking about Cat.

Mostly the same, yes. Obviously Cat went through a really traumatic event, but based on what we've seen, she still has most of her memories and shows enough competence as the leader that it's clear she has a good grasp on reality and is not insane. Given what she went through and that the reasons for holding back on vengeance hat she had before are as far as she knows gone (protecting her family, etc), her actions are completely normal and really doesn't require any "she's obsessed with revenge only because of the magic involved in the resurrection" explanation. Besides, the BWB aren't all about punishing Freys and Lannisters, they continue to protect the smallfolk and have even organised an orphanage now at the Crossroads Inn.

No way. Cat and UnCat are two different people. UnCat is Cat without all her good qualities who has a thirst for revenge.

Certainly, but what caused the change in personality - the magic of resurrection gone awry, or the events of the RW? In other words, suppose Cat conventionally survived the throat-slashing/river-dump, and there was no need for zombification. Would she still have Uncat's personality? I think it's very possible she would.

Not the same at all. Uncat acts like she was buried in the Micmic burial ground in Pet Sematary. She is very, very creepy.

edit: Although now that I think about it, Beric's personality wasn't wildly different after resurrection (eventually he became more frayed, but after many lives). So perhaps Uncat's revenant persona is truly how she is now, without any sort of supernatural evil-sauce thrown in.

Yes, Beric did not seem to have the big shift in personality that we see in Cat. I have to assume that another side effect of the resurrection is that the circumstances of one's death may strongly dictate the personality of the undead individual going forward...

Same body, different mind. She might still have some loving mother left in her, but mostly she's fueled by rage and revenge. Lady Stoneheart would kill Brienne for failing her duty without listening to her story. Catelyn, even if she lived through the Red Wedding, would have probably given Brienne a chance to explain why she had not returned with Sansa and/or Arya.

Archived