Are Cat and UnCat considered the same character to you?

JaegrM

It's a good question, because we didn't know Beric - aside from a few brief mentions, references, and appearances - but Cat was one of the series' driving POVs. This also makes me wonder about Jon Snow. If Jon is brought back by Mel, will people still think of him as good ol' Jon Snow, or UnJon? Will his fanbase turn on him, or will they decide UnJon is still Jon? So many questions!

As to Cat, though, I think she's more a ghost than anything else - an echo of Cat the Character after being twisted by grief, trauma, and a very understandable desire for revenge. Oh, and dying, of course. There's that.

Until very, very recently I thought of Catelyn & Un-Cat as two different characters. Recently, however, I have begun to question that assumption. I now am wondering if the reason we don't have any Un-Cat POVs is that we would see that her personally is remarkably intact. This would have implications for an Un-Jon, I think. Anyhow, I don't really know what I think right now. I have to rethink the whole Catelyn/Un-Cat thing.

I think that UnCat is Cat´s id in the moment before her death, if that makes any sense. UnCat is an echo of the strongest feelings Cat felt before she died: Desperation and a thrist for revenge. Add to this Cat´s beginning insanity1 and the fact that she was dead for a rather long time before being given the kiss of life and you get an convincing UnCat.

1 I am not sure if Cat´s insanity was only temporary or permanent. If she had survived, maybe she would have gotten better eventually? She is a very strong woman but also faced incredible losses. It is hard to tell.

I am more concerned though at the breakdown she apparently had when Robb died. Will that affect any judgements she makes or her actions too.

She might have gone mad right before she died, and that combined with her revenge plans...

Beric was revived several times and it seemed to be memory loss was an issue. Not personality changes.

I am also curious as to how she would act if she does encounter a loved one. Blackfish is on the loose, if her kids get to her, Edmure, somebody, besides just the BWB and the Freys she has been killing.

It's difficult to tell how much Catelyn has changed based on the little textual evidence we've had so far. Most of the things we know about Lady Stoneheart comes from third parties and she has been present for five/six pages so far. I consider Uncat to be a Catelyn who experienced two major traumas: witnessing the death of her oldest son and undergoing death and resurrection.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that UnCat is Cat´s id in the moment before her death, if that makes any sense. UnCat is an echo of the strongest feelings Cat felt before she died: Desperation and a thrist for revenge. Add to this Cat´s beginning insanity1 and the fact that she was dead for a rather long time before being given the kiss of life and you get an convincing UnCat.

1 I am not sure if Cat´s insanity was only temporary or permanent. If she had survived, maybe she would have gotten better eventually? She is a very strong woman but also faced incredible losses. It is hard to tell.

I think this as well. She is a shadow of the person she was pefore she died.

But I think it brings out an another question. Cat if she lived, could have overcome the trauma, but I somehow don't think UnCat can.

Can resurrected people change? Or will their driving force forever will be the one they died with?

Like in Berics case serving King Robert, and capturing the Mountain?

She's the same character, drastically changed. Like when in highschool this guy I knew suddenly started wearing Raiders gear and trying to hang out with the latino crowd. He may have always been Mexican, but only in secret, you know? Until that day when he unveiled the new hairstyle and openly declared himself part of the Raider Nation. It was a drastic change. Cat too has undergone a transformation. I think there might still be things capable of melting her heart; she just currently thinks all that she ever loved is lost. So she acts accordingly icy. But didn't Dondarrion have sparks of warmth in his personality even after being zombified? So we might see more hints of the old Catelyn surfacing, when those qualities have cause to surface.

Gosh we could certainly argue this point forever. I'm the mother of three now adult kids, but I can't imagine how i would feel if i saw the destruction of my line like this.

I'll say one thing. She has two potential things to accomplish imho that are karmic insofar as concluding her story arc. She needs to kill Littlefinger. and She needs to make amends to Jon. maybe she'll give him that last bit of her to resurrect him (if indeed he needs resurrection). If that last bit doesn't occur, she needs to find out about Jon and somehow make amends.

I am honestly surprised by the fact that the great majority of posters in this thread completely (or almost) separate Cat from UnCat, although it's nice to see that David Selig has a similar opinion.

I see UnCat as a natural progression from Catelyn. She was always a fierce woman and a fighter, ruthless when she had to be and very capable (it's not her fault people didn't listen to her or events beyond her control happened). In a very short while, her son becomes paraplegic, someone tries to assassinate him, she loses her husband, her two young sons, her home, her youngest daughter, her father, and sees her 12-year-old daughter married off to Tyrion Lannister. She then sees the last of her sons killed right in front of her, and is killed herself. She is thrown naked in the river where she spends days dead.

I mean, that is rough. Considering Catelyn's former traits and everything that's happened to her, I just think it's to be expected that she becomes fixated on revenge.

She still has the skills she did in life, and IMO she is actually doing a better job of escaping the authorities than Beric, who was killed, like, 9 times on the job. She is running a tight ship with the BWB. I know people think the BWB has fallen with her but they were always about revenge. They just had fake trials ("ok dude if you beat me in a duel you are free to go. psych! I have a flaming sword! also we still get to steal all your stuff") and fake knighting and religious ceremonies so it was a bit more pallatable to some. I, while still not supporting the BWB, prefer them to be upfront about their revenge. Anyway, I digress. If she wants to kill Lannisters and Freys, I think that is pretty understandable from her POV, and from there it's natural that she'd include in the bunch Tyrion Lannister's own squire and her former sworn shield who is now running around doing stuff for Jaime Lannister.

I always had a high opinion of Cat's character and skills, so I'm not surprised that when she loses everything and channels all her grief and hate into a pursuit of vengeance she becomes the feared Lady Stoneheart, who is at the very least, a force to be reckoned.

Archived