On Mel's Vision: Why Must Pyke be Destroyed?

Tall-Talker

Why would Pyke need to be destroyed? Ain't no one there. Uhhhhhh, could it be a vision of the demise of "King" Theon, wrought by Euron's magic? (Presumably, Theon would want to claim Pyke intact. Euron would be the one who'd throw a tantrum along the lines of "if I can't have it no one can!"

In a way, it'd be no surprise if that rickety castle collapsed into a sinkhole in the sea. What's holding it up at present? I mean, would you stay there if that was a bed and breakfast? Looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

• 11 months later...

We know almost nothing about the structure of the walls and keep at Gulltown, so it's not even certain that it would qualify for having "towers." However, Gulltown is one of my darkhorse candidates for a fulfillment of one of Dany's House of the Undying prophecies: "From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire." The blazon for the arms of House Grafton of Gulltown is, "A burning tower in yellow, within a black pile, upon flaming red" featuring both a burning tower and the Targaryen colors.

Or could it mean that Shireen goes to the Vale to marry Sweetrobin and have the knights of the Vale march to King's Landing in her name? Littlefinger would surely go with that and present himself as a leal lord, gathering his strength in support of the true dynasty, etc. I mean, in Stannis'

absence via his faked death

, as described in the TWoW sample chapter, Littlefinger could well make use of the situation. After all, if Selyse et al. sail from the Wall and are not eaten by the Wildlings, they have to resupply somewhere, it's a long sail at any rate, and Gulltown seems a likely candidate, with the Vale being neutral and all... Moreover, this could be the port where Massey

delivers his mercenaries and joins them

with an invasion force being assembled by Littlefinger.

I think it could be an entirely new place which will face the wrath of the Others first..place where an important character is present..I'm thinking the opening description of this place would be exactly the same as Mel's visions..possibly occurs in the prologue of the next book..a place we have all been waiting to see..Skagos!

Someone can correct me, but I think that GRRM gave the audience the choice between an Aeron chapter and an Arianne one. The audience, being not-crazy, chose the Arianne chapter. And GRRM said something like, "OK but you missed out on something important by bypassing the Aeron chapter." Something to that effect.

Or in other words, there is a method to the madness of Aeron Greyjoy as a POV. :stillsick:

Yeah he said later that he considers it one of the best chapters he's wrote. Stupid audience!

The problem with Damphair is its hard to get past his boring first chapter (that for many set the sombre tone for Feast - though I found it more enjoyable on 2nd reading). People seem to forget it was his pov at the Kings Moot which was one of the best in the novel.

I don't think it will be Others related, something to do with Aeron and the Blacktides.

Yeah he said later that he considers it one of the best chapters he's wrote. Stupid audience!

The problem with Damphair is its hard to get past his boring first chapter (that for many set the sombre tone for Feast - though I found it more enjoyable on 2nd reading). People seem to forget it was his pov at the Kings Moot which was one of the best in the novel.

I don't think it will be Others related, something to do with Aeron and the Blacktides.

And it's certainly possible that Bloodraven will destroy the Iron Isles for what they did to the Starks and countless others.

Archived