2013 Reading Self-Challenge Thread

Inigima

Well, it's about to be 70 later tonight, but yes, I read fairly quickly, even though many of those are poetry or short fiction collections.

I am at 7/40, so still more or less on track. This month I read

The Battle of Midway by Craig L. Symonds - Good WW2 history if you're interested in the topic.

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick - Weirder than I expected. There's a lot of discussion of alternate histories in this book that the reader is supposed to be able to identify, but that I mostly didn't notice. The book really didn't stick with me as I hardly remember it from a few weeks ago.

Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich - Good examination of the plight of the working poor in America. I can only assume that things have only gotten worse for that rather large segment of the country since the book was written (2000).

Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar by Thomas Cathcart - Some funny jokes, but didn't learn much philosophy.

I'm 2/3rds of the way through Perdido Street Station. It may very well be the weirdest book I've ever read, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. I'll probably start/find a thread on it when I finish, but are all of Mieville's books this weird?

yes, I read fairly quickly, even though many of those are poetry or short fiction collections.

Yeah, well, I've no doubt you do, but in my case it's more the question of not having more than half an hour a day maybe for reading rather than not reading fast enough. Not trying to depreciate your impressive achievement of course.

Im sitting exactly on target at 12/75; School is really eating into my reading time. Going to try my first Spanish novel soon, and I've got another 5 or 10 books in my room lined up and ready, so as soon as exams are over ill probably pick up the pace a little.

I should really read more, I'm only at 3/40 xD

The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings. I LOVED them. Currently reading Dance, Dance, Dance by Murakami and The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

Despite this, I think I will make it. There's another Murakami book coming out this month in my country, and after that I'll read the First Law spinoffs. That would be six books for March...

Yeah, well, I've no doubt you do, but in my case it's more the question of not having more than half an hour a day maybe for reading rather than not reading fast enough. Not trying to depreciate your impressive achievement of course.

Didn't take offense at all, so no worries on that account :D I too sometimes have little time for reading, but somehow I work it in, like yesterday, when I read for 30 minutes each on my iPhone while waiting for job training, at a doctor's office, and while waiting to begin teaching my afternoon ESL class. Somedays, I can free up 3 hours or so, but often it's less than that at any one time.

Melonica - Your dancing avatar is beautiful. I can't stop staring at it.

But how will you do NHAW?? Show some lettuce? Give us a peek at the tomato?

........ I guess this is all a but off-topic.

I will have to think about it, I didn't know my avatar is such a tease!

I'm giving up on The Hobbit, I just can't get through it, so I won't be counting that. I've nearly finished my 9th book, which is The Sealed Letter. Will probably start the 10th tonight.

Edit: would help if I got the numbers right :laugh: Goodreads seems to be different. Must sort that out.

I like to put 1/12 books read.

I'm a bit behind on reading I know, problem is I usual start reading something and then stop because it's not gripping me at that moment in time. So I start on another one, the same thing happens, so I start on another - the same thing happens again and so on, until I find either find one that grips me or force myself to read one haha

I like to put 1/12 books read.

I'm a bit behind on reading I know, problem is I usual start reading something and then stop because it's not gripping me at that moment in time. So I start on another one, the same thing happens, so I start on another - the same thing happens again and so on, until I find either find one that grips me or force myself to read one haha

That happens to me when I have too many books on my mind that I want to read. What I do when that happens is pick one then read articles about the author, the books he or she has written, and maybe background info on the topics and themes in the book etc. That way I sort of get excited for that particular book and I have stuff to keep me engaged with it when I'm not reading it. Maybe you can try something like that

I am at 7/40, so still more or less on track. This month I read

The Battle of Midway by Craig L. Symonds - Good WW2 history if you're interested in the topic.

NF? I need to read more NF books. might look it up.

I have gotten in to Terry Goodkind, and been on tearing thru them last week or so.

7. Wizards first Rule

8. Stone of Tears

9. Blood of the Fold

10. Temple of the Winds

10 of 52 and caught up with the week of the year.

That happens to me when I have too many books on my mind that I want to read. What I do when that happens is pick one then read articles about the author, the books he or she has written, and maybe background info on the topics and themes in the book etc. That way I sort of get excited for that particular book and I have stuff to keep me engaged with it when I'm not reading it. Maybe you can try something like that

I think what tends to happen also with me. I get into an author and his/her work, so I end buy his/her books. The problem is I buy 2 or 3 (sometimes more if it's a series) and then just as quickly move onto somebody else. What results is that I've got a load of books by authors I want to read, but keen discovering new ones at the same time haha

I've read two books lately that I haven't mentioned here yet...

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse - Wonderful novel.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami - I think I liked Kafka on the Shore a little bit more, but this was also really interesting (and puzzling).

Archived