2013 Reading Self-Challenge Thread

Inigima

As of right now, I have finished 2 out of 26 books.

I have you down as aiming for 13 (and your post on page 1 confirms, and I don't see any others) -- did you want to update your goal to 26?

There is a Westeros group on Goodeeads. Search for it and you shall find a lot of us. 3/4 of my friends on the site are part of that group.

Same here. BTW here is my Goodreads profile for anyone here who hasn't added me - I think I have a security question, but just put in "Westeros" or something so I know where you're from :)

Anywho, on the reading challenge I am 4/52 so far. A little slower than I'd like, but I had a half-start with a book and had to switch to something else.

- The Inferior, Peader O Guilin - A pretty good, fast-paced book, but a little too YA for my tastes. Interested in the sequel but it was quite pricey as I recall so I haven't picked it up yet.

- A Memory of Light, Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan - A very satisfying conclusion to one of my all-time favorite series. This book certainly had a lot of faults, as we've been discussing in another thread, but overall I feel pretty good about the result on an emotional level.

- The Godfather, Mario Puzo - Of course I'd seen the movies, but the book was fantastic. Puzo has a very clear, direct writing style that was particularly effective here. He manages to pack more than 2 movies' worth of material into around 400 pages without leaving any loose ends or unresolved threads. A very good, very satisfying read if any of you haven't given the book a shot but enjoy the movies.

- Prince of Thorns, Mark Lawrence - This was a reread for me as I prepared to read King of Thorns. I remember having some issues with the tone on my first read-through, but on reread this book grew tremendously in my opinion. I would definitely rate it higher now than I did on first glance, and I hope that on my next reread it will continue to grow.

Currently reading:

- King of Thorns, Mark Lawrence - Only a hundred or so pages in, so far so good. The prose has stepped up considerably from the first book as the protagonist takes a more nuanced and mature look at his surroundings. Hopefully it will continue on this path, as it's looking like a five-star book for me. I'm sensing a lot more depth to the writing compared to PoT, and again I hope that this continues.

- The Red Knight, Miles Cameron - About halfway through, and this book is really blowing me away. I'm a great lover of medieval history and I think he's hitting all the right notes for me. Lots of detail, hints of things below the surface, so far a really great book. If it has a good conclusion, this will definitely be one of the best books I read this year.

I should finish KoT by next week and The Red Knight soon thereafter. Then I'll be on to The Daylight War, a reread of the Emperor's Knife and first read of Knifesworn. After that I'll probably finish up Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium (started reading it last year and stopped when a slew of new books came out and demanded my attention). So February should be a good month for me.

Also, harking back to a discussion a few pages back, Goodreads currently has me listed as "currently reading" 7 books, but I've abandoned one (Banewreaker), pretty much given up on another but might get back into it (House of Leaves), read one occasionally when in the mood for a more academic book (Crusades), and put one on hold (Ciaphas Cain). Generally I read two books at a time - one at home and one at work during my lunch break.

Yeah, I finished 3 in January, so I'm more or less on track for 40.

The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis - Really liked this one. Depiction of the plague years is really vivid. Deserves all the praise it has gotten.

Moscow, 1941 by Rodric Braithwaite - I like WW2 history, and the Eastern Front especially, but this wasn't a top notch history book. Too many characters that I couldn't differentiate. Desperately needed a glossary of characters.

A Memory of Light by Jordan/Sanderson. Very good at times, not so good at others. I'm glad it's over.

Currently reading The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick. Good so far; I like alternate history.

Got four of 52 in January and subsequently finished a fifth. Given I'm down to the last 10% of both "A memory of light" and "Great North Road" which are both long books I'm feeling pretty good about progress so far. I've three female authors of the seven so good on that front also.

My very late new years resolution that I created about 10 minutes ago is to read more books. So this thread seems like the perfect oppertunity to assign an arbitrary number to how much I plan to read and then hate myself when I don't even get close. Fifteen or Twenty seem reasonable enough.

Now all I need to do is pick a book to read. This usually means an agonizingly long search through every website in existence for the "best" book to read. NOT THIS TIME THOUGH. I'll just jump straight into The Road by Cormac McCarthy, since I saw it in another thread, there's a copy of it in my house and it looks quite interesting.

Archived