2013 Reading Self-Challenge Thread

Inigima

I would count whatever you want. If I re-read something I would count that as a book read. However, I try to do as little re-reading as possible generally. Life is short and there are so many books. I don't think I did any last year. At most, in previous years, it has been less than five books.

I would count GNs as well. They are books to my mind. Not like you are reading a single comic strip in a paper and pretending it is the length of a book. Like, I wouldn't differentiate between a novel that was 200 pages and one that was 1200 pages. Each of those is a book.

Just finished my fifth book of the year month (year). Is it the magic of the Kindle or am I just on fire this year? ;)

I have no idea how many books I read last year, so I will take a guess and put myself down for 40. I've already read 5, but that's on account of being off work and unable to walk. Lots and lots of time to read. No doubt my consumption will slow down when works starts to get busy again.

I've finally decided on "The Reader" as my first book of 2013. It's just about perfect timing as my university finally goes on a winter break. I've only read a couple of chapters so far, but I can tell straight away that it's going to be an effortless read.

4 per month sounds like a decent goal. 48, then.

I didn't read anywhere near as many last year, but that was mostly because I went long periods without reading anything at all because I didn't feel like reading whatever I had started. To prevent this I have started to read three books in parallel; one novel, one short story collection, and one non-fiction, and I'm planning to continue that pattern all through the year. Hopefully this will mean that I'll always be reading at least one interesting book, and the less interesting ones won't seem so bad when I know that I have something else for the next evening.

4 per month sounds like a decent goal. 48, then.

I didn't read anywhere near as many last year, but that was mostly because I went long periods without reading anything at all because I didn't feel like reading whatever I had started. To prevent this I have started to read three books in parallel; one novel, one short story collection, and one non-fiction, and I'm planning to continue that pattern all through the year. Hopefully this will mean that I'll always be reading at least one interesting book, and the less interesting ones won't seem so bad when I know that I have something else for the next evening.

Thats what I do, but then sometimes it gets out of hand and I find myself trapped in the middle of 23 uninteresting books but unable to start anything new because, really, 23 books. (I set myself a rule quite a while ago now that I have to have finished two books to start a new one, which i've managed to stick to with, er, more than half of the books i've started since, and can proudly report that the currently-reading pile is now down to a mere 16. 15 with the one i'm pretty sure i'll finish tonight, which was blah, but then i'm allowed to start one more so it will be 16 again. Be careful here, is what i'm saying.)

I had a good January. Finished 9 (although one of them is a carry over from December) and will finish a 10th tonight. Not changing goals though, because this month was too good to be true, and I've had a couple of short ones for light reading. Time to get serious with longer reads (Wheel of Time 2 onwards).

I had the same problem with not reading because I didn't like my book; I solved it by making myself just abandon books I noticed I wasn't enjoying. It's worked out well for me.

This avatar owns

I had the same problem with not reading because I didn't like my book; I solved it by making myself just abandon books I noticed I wasn't enjoying. It's worked out well for me.

I'm getting better at that - the finish a book to start a book thing made me put down a few i'd probably still be listlessly reading a page a week of otherwise.

For Jan - 12 books, though I might finish one more today/tommorow, (but several were for the most part read earlier and just finished this month, two were abandoned (at last) and one was very short,)

7 by men, 4 by women, 1 collection of essays.

7 fiction (on which only one was by a woman), 5 non fiction,

all read in English, only one was translated.

2 were authors i'd read before.

Archived