2013 Reading Self-Challenge Thread

Inigima

I'll try with 15 books this year. Last year I think I read 5 or 6 (comic books excluded), but this year I have some books I'm interested in.

Just one question, if graphic novels do count. Would one trade paperback count as one book? Say a Preacher or Transmetropolitan TPB which is around 200 pages. Does one collection count as one book or how do you guys count it?

FWIW, I've finished three so far: 1 fiction (female); 1 nonfiction (female); 1 drama (male)

drama as in a play?

Trisk, rereads totally count! Otherwise my list would only be half as long :P

absolutely. i'm counting rereads as well

I'll try with 15 books this year. Last year I think I read 5 or 6 (comic books excluded), but this year I have some books I'm interested in.

Just one question, if graphic novels do count. Would one trade paperback count as one book? Say a Preacher or Transmetropolitan TPB which is around 200 pages. Does one collection count as one book or how do you guys count it?

since there is no prize, you can really count it how you want to, and adjust your expectations accordingly. but if it was me, i'd say one collection as one book

since there is no prize, you can really count it how you want to, and adjust your expectations accordingly. but if it was me, i'd say one collection as one book

Yeah, I know there ain't no price. But one collection as one book would be fine i guess, thanks

Yeah, I'm struggling with the same decision. I'm not much of a comics reader and even less of a comics buyer, but there are some I like a lot. I read Atomic Robo Vol. 2 last night; on the one hand, I've counted shorter novellas before. On the other hand, it's comics and I read it in like an hour.

I'll try with 15 books this year.

15 sounds like a good goal, so I'll go with that as well. I was thinking of 18 books, but I don't think I read 18 books last year so I don't want to start this self-challenge with an overly ambitious goal...

I was just looking back at my Read shelf to see what others thought of some of the books I read, since I have a bunch of new Goodreads friends now. Interesting to read the reviews of Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. A lot of people who didn't like it said that if you had a thing for circuses it would be more up your alley. I don't give a shit about circuses, and I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Mistaken identifier of the missing element for them, or maybe it's just me.

Yeah, I'm struggling with the same decision. I'm not much of a comics reader and even less of a comics buyer, but there are some I like a lot. I read Atomic Robo Vol. 2 last night; on the one hand, I've counted shorter novellas before. On the other hand, it's comics and I read it in like an hour.

Yeah, I know. Comics do take a lot faster to get through than books. But I guess you're still reading so they should count.

I think my first goal should be to finish the 4 books I'm part-way through. After that I'm going for 10. My dream scenario would be to read all of my unread books which is around 26.

So I'll go for a paltry 10.

Put me down for 60. Last year I just managed my goal of 75, but this year I'd like a more modest goal so I can surprise myself.

For personal goals, I'm participating in the WWE Women of Genre Fiction, though I haven't bothered to sign up with the challenge site itself. Beyond that I'm not sure. I do want to read at least three more each of Discworld and Wild Cards. I also have a few authors like Mieville, Beagle, Parker, and McDonald that I need to catch up on.

I was just looking back at my Read shelf to see what others thought of some of the books I read, since I have a bunch of new Goodreads friends now. Interesting to read the reviews of Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. A lot of people who didn't like it said that if you had a thing for circuses it would be more up your alley. I don't give a shit about circuses, and I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Mistaken identifier of the missing element for them, or maybe it's just me.

the night circus was my favorite read from last year and i could take or leave circuses myself. she just tells a really good story. the prose was amazing and i felt the pacing was just right. the plot wasn't earth shattering or anything but because of the presentation, i didn't feel like it detracted from the piece as a whole. it really was a homerun, IMO.

I was in the low 30s for 2012, and it's possible I missed a couple on Goodreads. So I'll say 40 and see if I can make it. Good start to the year so far, I finished Memory of Light and am almost done with Doomsday Book.

Archived