Invitation to the Set Video

Westeros

That's a change I'm OK with.

The viewers will like the idea of a Loras-Sansa marriage, then will be devastated when she has to marry Tyrion.

I don't think so tbh. Tyrion's a lot more whitewashed in the show than in the books, and Peter Dinklage is pretty damn handsome. Certainly not the hideous dwarf that Tyrion is. I think the Sansa/Tyrion shipping will be a lot more popular for the show watchers.

Well, he's a lannister and the lannisters killed her father (and her sister too as far as she knows).

+ they kill her mother and brother aswell so sje has every right to hate him especially if she could have gotten Loras, her shining non-lannisterknight

Yeah I'm not saying that Sansa will fall madly in love with him, just that the audience will probably see things a lot more favourably what with Tyrion being a lot more handsome and morally white on the show.

Refresh my memory. I know he has the singer killed but what else did he do in the books that hasn't been depicted in the show?

Flinging the Antler Men over the walls for one. Excusing his own men for crimes. His relationship with Shae is completely different. In the books it's rather twisted and unhealthy, but here it's clearly loving and genuinely or at least that's how I see it. And this is coming from a major Tyrion fan by the way.

That's a change I'm OK with.

The viewers will like the idea of a Loras-Sansa marriage, then will be devastated when she has to marry Tyrion.

Well, not really:

I guess they could establish Loras/Sansa as viable if the TV show tweaked it so that Loras is bisexual and not gay, but if TV Loras remains gay as he is in the books, it's a big departure from a Willas/Sansa-type scenario. The Tyrion/Sansa marriage was devastating in part because it represented the end of Sansa's dream of marriage, at least in theory, to Willas, a guy whom she could love and who might in time love her back. If TV Loras is gay, then that dream doesn't even exist, and Sansa's getting excited over something (the possibility that Loras might love her) that can never happen.

I suppose if the writers wanted to make it interesting, someone could clue Sansa in on her destiny as Loras' beard and she might be excited about the marriage anyway because Loras' orientation aside the marriage would get her out of King's Landing. That would be cool: Sansa adopting a Margaery-like stance and sacrificing her romantic inclinations to accomplish her goal of escaping King's Landing. Seems unlikely, but you never know.

Absent some rewriting, the Sansa/Tyrion marriage will not appear nearly as devastating as in the books, since 1) TV Loras is probably gay (so Sansa's not really losing a shot at a loving marriage to Loras by being married off to someone else as she was in the books by losing her chance to marry Willas), 2) TV Tyrion is way more attractive than his book equivalent, 3) TV Tyrion is written much more positively/sympathetically than he is in the books, and 4) TV Sansa is not a preteen as she is in the books when she's married. I guess if the writers wanted to compensate for that, they could play up the much bigger age difference on the show. In the books, there's only a 13-year spread between Sansa and Tyrion. In the show, the age spread between the actors is double that.

sje has every right to hate him especially if she could have gotten Loras, her shining non-lannisterknight

I doubt the audience will be moved by this, though:

If Loras Tyrell is gay on the show as opposed to bisexual, her "shining non-Lannister knight" is a figment of her imagination and her mourning over the loss of the chance of a happy, loving marriage which never actually existed won't win her any sympathy points with the audience. Sansa's inability to see Joffrey's true nature because of her love for him attracted a lot of audience hate in Season 1, from what I can tell. This will be doubly true if Sansa gets hints as to Loras' true orientation from Shae or someone else and ignores them out of denial because they don't jibe with her romantic delusions.

It might be ultimately academic at any rate:

The Tyrion/Sansa wedding happens in Episode 8, and the Purple Wedding will likely either happen in Episode 10--the RW is confirmed to be in Episode 9--or very early on in Season 4. Tyrion and Sansa won't be "married" for very long in show time, so I don't think there will be too many consequences for Sansa in terms of audience reaction, if for no other reason than there will be a lot of other stuff going on in the show, so that the time they spend as a married couple will probably be lost in the shuffle.

Flinging the Antler Men over the walls for one. Excusing his own men for crimes. His relationship with Shae is completely different. In the books it's rather twisted and unhealthy, but here it's clearly loving and genuinely or at least that's how I see it. And this is coming from a major Tyrion fan by the way.

it's not quite the same, but when Tyrion asks Bronn what he would say if he asked him to kill a baby, and Bronn looks him dead in the eye and says he would say "how much", he is clearly troubled by it, but says nothing. As far as the antler men go, I think that was probably a victim of time constraints and practical considerations than an attempt to make Tyrion more virtuous. I agree about the relationship with Shae. It's very different at this point from the books, because Shae is totally different. (This also impacts the Shae/Sansa relationship).

I'm not sure it is clear there is a "whitewashing intent" here, however, despite the fact that these moments were not included. S2 was really pinched for time, sadly. I am hopeful they will basically stick to the books in S3/4 with regards to Tyrion. There's plenty of time for him to slide into the Tyrion we know from the books. I know there has been speculation

that he won't end up killing Shae.

but while the relationship between Tyrion and Shae is different in the show than in the books I think this is definitely going to happen. I'm not sure if the

singer he has murdered

happened in ACoK or ASoS but I could definitely see that moment being included in S3 to show some more of 'grey' Tyrion developing.

TDLR version: I hope and feel that 'grey' Tyrion (perhaps not quite as bad as in the books) is still to come and we will see that fleshed out over S3 and S4. But, we'll see.

it's not quite the same, but when Tyrion asks Bronn what he would say if he asked him to kill a baby, and Bronn looks him dead in the eye and says he would say "how much", he is clearly troubled by it, but says nothing. As far as the antler men go, I think that was probably a victim of time constraints and practical considerations than an attempt to make Tyrion more virtuous. I agree about the relationship with Shae. It's very different at this point from the books, because Shae is totally different. (This also impacts the Shae/Sansa relationship).

I'm not sure it is clear there is a "whitewashing intent" here, however, despite the fact that these moments were not included. S2 was really pinched for time, sadly. I am hopeful they will basically stick to the books in S3/4 with regards to Tyrion. There's plenty of time for him to slide into the Tyrion we know from the books. I know there has been speculation

that he won't end up killing Shae.

but while the relationship between Tyrion and Shae is different in the show than in the books I think this is definitely going to happen. I'm not sure if the

singer he has murdered

happened in ACoK or ASoS but I could definitely see that moment being included in S3 to show some more of 'grey' Tyrion developing.

TDLR version: I hope and feel that 'grey' Tyrion (perhaps not quite as bad as in the books) is still to come and we will see that fleshed out over S3 and S4. But, we'll see.

Certainly there are time constraints, which I think is part of the problem.

I don't think we'll be getting Symon Silvertongue though either. I've heard nothing of him being cast. More likely Tyrion and Shae's relationship will devolve as a result of his betrothal and marriage to Sansa, resulting in Shae feeling a bit betrayed and eventually selling him out to Cersei.

The Purple Wedding will not, and SHOULD NOT, happen in Season 3. It's a huge moment that really needs to be saved for Season 4. Considering the big wedding in episode 9, viewers would feel burnt out if yet another mortal wedding takes place in the next episode. There's plenty of material for Season 3, much more than there is for Season 4. So there's no need to rush things. And considering that they haven't cast Oberyn yet, I highly doubt we'll be seeing it this season.

Regarding the whole Loras leaving the table in anger thing, I'm guessing that Loras would want to join the KG to avoid getting married, and will be angered that he has to marry Sansa. Tywin finds out about the plan, and has Loras join the KG(kinda similar to Aerys, really). Even in the books, Loras shows no real interest towards her, so I don't know whether it's wise to have him and Sansa be a potential couple.

I don't think we'll be getting Symon Silvertongue though either. I've heard nothing of him being cast. More likely Tyrion and Shae's relationship will devolve as a result of his betrothal and marriage to Sansa, resulting in Shae feeling a bit betrayed and eventually selling him out to Cersei.

Well, we might be. A singer was cast for season three. It could be a singer for the RW or Symon Silvertongue or New Marillion or someone else. Still possible.

We just found out a week about about the casting of Wendel Manderly and some miscellaneous brothel workers, and not much before that we heard about the new casting of the Lannister prisoner. The singer role would be very small, likely one episode, with

the death off-screen if it follows the books.

I don't have any strong opinion on whether it will happen in the show or not though.

Tyrion has definitely been white-washed in the show. They've cut out many small moments that show that he's not a particularly good person. For example, he didn't break Marillion's fingers, he played no part in Tysha's rape, he didn't poison Cersei, he didn't threaten to assault Tommen, etc.

In the show, he told Bronn and Shae that he had been the last one to rape Tysha

Tyrion has definitely been white-washed in the show. They've cut out many small moments that show that he's not a particularly good person. For example, he didn't break Marillion's fingers, he played no part in Tysha's rape, he didn't poison Cersei, he didn't threaten to assault Tommen, etc.

Yeah, they definitely need to make his character darker. But I guess they need someone for the audience to root for. One of the problems of making a TV show, sadly.

he didn't poison Cersei

Oh please. Of all the bad stuff Tyrion has done that wasn't one of them.

In any case, it will make is fall into despair and depression and the actions he takes later even more tragic and shocking. So, I don't really mind that much.

Oh please. Of all the bad stuff Tyrion has done that wasn't one of them.

In any case, it will make is fall into despair and depression and the actions he takes later even more tragic and shocking. So, I don't really mind that much.

His poisoning of Cersei in ACoK was the first moment where I began to realise that Tyrion was not just a good person on the wrong side as I had been led to believe by his constant self-pity and self-justification, as well as the white-washing of the show.

I really doubt they'll keep his "fall into dispair" exactly how it was in the book. They'll probably just make him bitter but still remove a lot of his darker actions (turning the singer into stew, almost raping Sansa, and probably even killing Shae).

Archived