Jons Parentage Revealed

NathanStark

For those of you who think that R+L=J will make a big difference I have to let you down. If Jon is a product of Rhegar then it wouldn't entitle him to be king of the 7 kingdoms. Jon would've been Rheagar's bastard and not entitled to inherit anything other then a bastards name. It would mean that Aegon is Jons older half brother, and rightful heir to the iron throne. His claim would be stronger then Dany's also. Jon would still be dead or undead at the wall with nothing to inherit or rule other then the wall presuming GRRM brings him back to life and allows him to remain the LC of the NW. Other then riding a dragon I don't see how his parentage matters.

For those of you who think that R+L=J will make a big difference I have to let you down. If Jon is a product of Rhegar then it wouldn't entitle him to be king of the 7 kingdoms. Jon would've been Rheagar's bastard and not entitled to inherit anything other then a bastards name. It would mean that Aegon is Jons older half brother, and rightful heir to the iron throne. His claim would be stronger then Dany's also. Jon would still be dead or undead at the wall with nothing to inherit or rule other then the wall presuming GRRM brings him back to life and allows him to remain the LC of the NW. Other then riding a dragon I don't see how his parentage matters.

If you check this post http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/80409-rlj-v40/#entry4061958 it will answer many of the questions you have brought up, and provide further links to the original discussions.

could this mean benjen is in his heart a targaryen loyalist? he remains at winterfell because someone has to and the only reason he becomes lord is if ned loses and the targs win. he then takes the black rather than serve the usurper.by the time jon arrives benjen has sworn not to interfere in the affairs of the realm

No it means that he always wanted to join the Night's Watch but would not if he was the last living male Stark. If that were the case, then he would just join later in life like Jeor Mormont.

Sorry, much as I'd like to, I can't buy the R+L=J argument.

Considering how annoyed Our Cat was that Our Bastard was living with T'Starks, you'd think Our Ned would've said something along the lines of 'eh up Our Cat, Our Bastard were Our Lyanna's bastard, but keep it t'yerself lass'.

Or summat.

What I believe is that not only was Ned's promise to Lyanna about keeping Jon safe, but also his lineage a secret. If Robert would have found out that Lyanna willingly had a child with Rhaegar warhammers would be caving in chestplates left and right.

Also, although Ned ended up loving Catelyn very much they were little more than strangers when they first got married. Not being able to tell the truth at the beggining is understandable, and it would have been harder to do as time passed.

Another point is that, to me, part of what made Jon being Ned's bastard so believable was Catelyns disdain towards him.

Well you pretty much summed it up with that last sentence. I never really believed, hoped maybe, that Jon would rule the seven kingdoms. We all know that eventually Dany will end up in Westeros. And going along with the dragon has three heads prophecy mumbo jumbo we have been trying to figure out who will be riding the other two. And the dragonriders are (arguably) the most important people in this series. So it stands to reason that the revaltion that R+L does truely =J will matter greatly.

Well you pretty much summed it up with that last sentence. I never really believed, hoped maybe, that Jon would rule the seven kingdoms. We all know that eventually Dany will end up in Westeros. And going along with the dragon has three heads prophecy mumbo jumbo we have been trying to figure out who will be riding the other two. And the dragonriders are (arguably) the most important people in this series. So it stands to reason that the revaltion that R+L does truely =J will matter greatly.

I do see your points, but there are many other ways where his lineage would matter. If Dany and Aegon die if Aegon turns out to be false and Dany dies, or if Jon is truly AA reborn, but then again if Jon is AA it doesn't really matter who his parents are people will follow him regardless. Those are the only ways Jon will rule in the end IMO at least.

What if it's right there in plain sight? Then even now, it's not uncommon for older male family members to refer to their younger kin as "son." But would it be that outlandish if Benjen was actually Jon's father? In one brief moment he speaks to him truly as a father to his son.

I have a somewhat crackpot theory about this- I think that Benjen had a thing for Ashara. I think that Ashara's death is the reason Benjen took the black, similar to Loras's "when the sun sets no candle can replace it." I also think Benjen sees Jon as the son he could have possibly had with Ashara, which is why he acts so fatherly towards him. One of the Starks dishonored Ashara at the tourney at Harrenhal, we know from Barristan. It could've been Ned, who danced with her, it could've been Brandon, who wasn't shy about taking what he wanted... but maybe it was Benjen? Then him taking the black would have coincided with Ashara's death, and Ashara's (and Benjen's) daughter not surviving. GRRM has said we'll learn why Benjen took the black (I'm fairly sure...), and he hasn't been willing to elaborate during interviews, so it has to be something significant.

Or maybe Jon just seemed down at the feast and Benjen thought he needed a verbal hug. Who knows?

In my opinion she is, along with Jaime, one of the characters that needs the most redemption.

I don't think jamie needs redemption of any kind, but the event happened as it was brought jamie on the ground i.e he started seeing the truth which was always in front of him.

For those of you who think that R+L=J will make a big difference I have to let you down.

What is this series called? A Song of Ice and Fire

A SONG OF ICE (stark) AND FIRE (targaryen)

A SONG OF ICE (lyanna) AND FIRE (rhaegar)

And you think Jon's parentage doesn't matter?

Thanks for letting me down :rolleyes:

I have a somewhat crackpot theory about this- I think that Benjen had a thing for Ashara. I think that Ashara's death is the reason Benjen took the black, similar to Loras's "when the sun sets no candle can replace it." I also think Benjen sees Jon as the son he could have possibly had with Ashara, which is why he acts so fatherly towards him. One of the Starks dishonored Ashara at the tourney at Harrenhal, we know from Barristan. It could've been Ned, who danced with her, it could've been Brandon, who wasn't shy about taking what he wanted... but maybe it was Benjen? Then him taking the black would have coincided with Ashara's death, and Ashara's (and Benjen's) daughter not surviving. GRRM has said we'll learn why Benjen took the black (I'm fairly sure...), and he hasn't been willing to elaborate during interviews, so it has to be something significant.

Or maybe Jon just seemed down at the feast and Benjen thought he needed a verbal hug. Who knows?

Benjen is too young to be Jon's father. And it's a pity, because that would have made a good story, and would have allowed father and son ot fight together against the Others.

I think Septa Lemore (Ashara Dayne) will tell Jon Con after Aegon gets himself killed. Or not.

I think Septa Lemore and the Half-Maester have been duped just like poor Jon Connington. Letting one of them know would have been too risky.

• 3 weeks later...

Would you be assuming that Jon is in fact Rhaegar and Lyanna's child then? And that he will be one of the three heads of the dragon?

And with the vagueness of Quaithe's information to Dany so far do you think that she will just come out and say "Hey, that black haired man at the wall with the white wolf. He's actually your cousin. So don't kill him or anything."

Jon would actually be Dany's nephew, if he is her brother's son.

Some of the details escape my memory, Ashara Dayne is Septa lemore? Why is that? And where does Septa currently reside?

She is the septa that bathed nude every morning on the shy maid. It is not proven to my knowledge but its a solid theory based on her age and description. She is likely in Storms End at this point.

Archived