Were there any characters you hated in the books but really liked in the HBO show?

I really disliked Jorah in the books. He's far sterner and way more obsessed with Dany on a physical level. I think Iain Glen portrays a far more sympathetic Jorah. This might come from the fact that we as the audience know more about him considering we only got info on him from pov characters in the book. In the show he basically is a pov character. But either, to me he comes off as far more likable in the tv. I almost want to root for him and Dany.

And Shae definitely. Like her way more in the show.

ow plenty of women that are pretty pissed at who they chose to be Mance Rayder, even though the actor is a very talented/experienced actor who starred in the HBO medieval drama Rome as Julius Caesar. At the end of the day the physical appearance of a character is indeed a pretty big factor in fan support. I don't think it's nearly as important as good acting but still it's most definitely a factor.

Julius Caesar did not live during the Middle Ages.

Brienne

Robert

Catelyn

Davos

Agreed tv Robert is absolutely hilarious especially his interactions with Lancel Lannister!

Robert: "Wine!..Lancel...Gods what a stupid name...Lancel Lannister who named you, some half-wit with a stutter??? What are you doing?"

Lancel Lannister: "It's empty your grace."

Robert: "What do you mean it's empty??"

Lancel: "There's no more wine."

Robert: "IS THAT WHAT EMPTY MEANS!?!"

Or

Lancel: "It's made too small your grace it won't go."

Robert: "Your mother was a dumb whore with a fat ass did you know that??"

Hahaha Robert was fuckin classic on the show.

Tywin in the books: Outright dick. I couldn't wait for him to die.

Tywin on HBO: I love this Tywin. The scenes with Cupbearer Arya, his horse crapping on the floor in the throne room at Kings Landing, his downright cruel Casterly Rock conversation with Tyrion that he NAILED, and last episodes hilarious musical chairs in Small Council where he let go an epic smirk.

HBO Tywin is like the guy that doesn't ever tip the valet and never orders dessert.

Admittedly, I haven't read the books in like four years, so my memory is getting hazy (I'm fixing this as soon as I'm done with my current book!) but I definitely hated Tywin with a passion in the books, and in the show I love him, he's brilliant.

The same goes for Varys, the giggles in the book were too much for me, he's excellent in the show however.

Jaime's a character that I initially hated in the books, but grew to like as the series progressed so it's not really the same, but I liked Jaime from the offset in the show.

Another vote for Jorah. He's such a pervy, arrogant, self-centered prick in the books but comes off as a much nicer guy in the show. In the books his venom towards Ned, Barristan and Tyrion (all fan favourites) and his creepy obsession with a 15 year old girl is pretty detestable. I have to admit I like him in the show.

I developed strong opinions about the characters that the producers obviously tried to change. In some cases it worked (Tywin) and in some cases it had the opposite effect (Cersei).

The humanizing scenes with Tywin and the performance by Charles Dance have made him one of the best characters in the series. Even in the scenes where he's being a dick (neither gods nor men with ever compel me to let you turn Casterly Rock into your whorehouse) I find myself liking him and even rooting for him. Compare this to book Tywin who seemed like a caricature of the evil, overbearing father figure and the character in the show is far superior, as well as more likable.

Cersei was a completely different story for me. Lena Headey does a magnificent job with the character, but the producers attempts to make her less despicable only enhanced my hatred for her. I immediately assumed that trying to make her seem like less of a self-righteous, vindictive bitch was just typical Hollywood BS where you're always supposed to feel sorry for the female characters, even when they're evil. Every time I see show Cersei in a sympathetic situation I think back to book Cersei and it only makes he hate her more for trying to draw on my sympathy. Similar efforts with Catelyn Stark's character worked for me, but with Cersei I could never bring myself to feel anything but hatred for her.

I love all the HBO's Lannisters! Joffrey it's just hillarious, Tywin is... amazing. In the books I only liked Tyrion and Jaime.

Same as Bronn. Jerome Flynn and Peter Dinklage together are a terrific duo .

I like the cast in general, but i totally dislike Harington as Jon. Its not that he's a bad actor, but i think he doesn't nail the character.

I feel a lot of the character is lost or wasted by his interpretation. Not even show Ghost like him, he preferred staying with Sam the (not?) Slayer :lmao:

Archived