Were there any characters you hated in the books but really liked in the HBO show?

It's a minority opinion I think but Shae. In the show, she is a real person whereas in the books she comes across as a doll for Tyrion's fantasies.

You aren't in the minority. Its just that people in there quest to be critical of everything are now pretending there was anything enjoyable about the book character when in reality she was the book version of ROS where you couldn't wait for her to be gone.

Not that I hated him but I didn't like Robb Stark in the books I felt he was very cocky and arrogant and really let the king thing get in his head. Where as in the show he seems very humble and down to earth plus his reasoning for marrying the Volantis girl made allot more sense then the Jeane Westerling which I found to be pretty ridiculous.

Not that I hated him but I didn't like Robb Stark in the books I felt he was very cocky and arrogant and really let the king thing get in his head. Where as in the show he seems very humble and down to earth plus his reasoning for marrying the Volantis girl made allot more sense then the Jeane Westerling which I found to be pretty ridiculous.

Why did you find it ridiculous? His reasoning for marrying Talisa is actually part of his reasoning for marrying Jeyne, as well. In the books he also loves her, but that alone wouldn't have been enough for him to forsake his vows, given his Stark-ish sense of honour. It's only after he had deflowered the noblewoman that he was practically obliged to marry her - which "conviniently" enabled him to follow his heart, too.

I find I feel that way but about Theon, for some reason the torture makes it easier to understand the change he goes through on the books because I see it happening.

His Stockholm syndrome also makes more sense because he gets to explain how he feel about the Starks, we hear him say his "real father" lost his head in King's Landing and therefore understand better his attachment to Ramsay because we see his attachment to Ned Stark on the show.

Agreed with Shae. Annoying in the books, I really disliked her. Show!Shae is a completely new character, sassy and protective. She's a lot more likable in the show. I also prefer Charles Dance as Tywin in the show than book Tywin. They're both horrible, but Charles Dance has such a presence.

Not that I hate Jorah in the books, but I realy like what they've done with the character and Iain Glen's portrayal has made me like the character more.

I hate Tywin, but Charles Dance really owns that role.

This is another I have to agree with. Another example of fantastic casting. Jorah's character is much more "likable" in some sense. In the books (especially Storm of Swords) Jorah comes off as almost a creepy old man stalker. In the show his love appears much more genuine, and does not become as much of a burden on his more admirable qualities (which I appreciate).

Charles Dance is Charles Dance. The man was made to play villainous characters, and at this point I cannot imagine Tywin as anyone else. In fact, after rereading a few chapters, I find myself visualizing Dance, rather than my original picture of Tywin.

Archived