Were there any characters you hated in the books but really liked in the HBO show?

Jorah. I like him in the books but even more so on TV, a credit to Iain Glen.

Between Tyrion's suicidal moping and Jorah acting like a lovesick zombie, the writers will have their hands full.

I'm secretly hoping Jorah isn't exiled in the TV show and Tyrion finds his way to the Second Sons on his own.

Sansa - credit to the excellent young actress playing her, Sophie Turner - though it has to be said I didn't exactly hate her in the books. She just wasn't in my top ten characters.

Tywin. Like Sansa, I wasn't a fan of the character in the books but Charles Dance does an excellent job in the tv series

Tywin. Like Sansa, I wasn't a fan of the character in the books but Charles Dance does an excellent job in the tv series

Cheers to this. Tywin was interesting in the books, but Charles Dance's scenes are some of the best in the show.

Margaery and Khal Drogo by far.

I don't know who is acting as Margaery by that woman has done a remarkable job in making her important. I was indifferent with her character but seeing her playing the game makes her 100x better.

Khal Drogo when he went apeshit and promised to kick all of Westeros ass pumps me up still. I love that scene and that actor did a tremendous job in which no other actor I can think of can match it. Also, the added fight with Mago was awesome.

My feelings for other characters more or less did not change from Book to series.

Hard to think of one off the top of my head, but I guess Selyse Baratheon. Selyse in the books is utterly unlikable - so arrogant and doctrinaire. In the show - though we've seen little of her so far, she seems more sad and unhinged.

Viserys is marginally better in the series too - he is still not likable, and still generally vile, but I liked the performance Harry Lloyd gave, particularly in the one scene he had versus Jorah. You can see Viserys as having his father's mental problems, but also how the weight of expectations just broke him, made him a desperate for any sort of power or respect.

Shae is one I like on the show, while in the books I never liked her and I was one who saw the show first. I don't see them as much of the same character and reading the books, I cannot picture the actress as the character that I'm reading.

I agree with the Shae one. It's not that I disliked book Shae, but she was a minor characater, and seemed both more naive and also more ambiguous towards Tyrion. Shae in the show seems a bit more worldy and cynical, but also seems to show more actual emotion towards those around her (Tyrion and Sansa).

Ramsay Snow/Bolton. In the books he's just creepy and scary but on TV he's a riot. I feel guilty laughing at his jokes but laugh I do. The actor and writers do such a great job with him.

I also get a kick out of Roose on TV in a way that I don't in the books.

Are there ever.

Dany, oh so much. I detest her in the books, because she feels so much like a character the author wants me to like and sympathise with while she is actually getting crazier and crazier. On the show I like her a lot, second favourite character. She is awesome, but no longer an author's pet.

This x 1,000. I don't think I'll ever root for Daenerys, but I can at least tolerate her now.

I was rather ambivalent about Cat after reading the books. But Fairley's performance was so nuanced and rich that I actually found myself tearing up during her scene with Talisa in "Dark Wings, Dark Words."

Some characters in the book are just loathsome and obviously meant for the reader to despise. But the actors portraying them are so entertaining that, as bad as they are, I just love watching their scenes. Sometimes it's just a riot watching somebody act like a douchebag, or devilishly evil. Some that come to mind:

Ramsey: That guy playing him is hilarious!

Cersei: Heady does such a great job. She can do all of the paranoid scheming, out of control bitchery that blows up in Cersei's face, and still pull off reflective moments like she did in scenes with Robert and Tyrion.

Joffrey: Oh man, I am so going to miss him shen he's gone. He's SO good at playing that prick!

Theon: You hate him for what he does and then he's gone from the books for what seems like an eternity, but on the show he's really good at selling me on why he did what he did, and that he knows how bad he fucked up.

Viserys: I miss him so much. He was perfectly cast. And the way he brought the role to life? Still a complete villain, but he was a LOT of fun to watch while he was onscreen. His performance makes me wish Martin had kept him around longer.

Lord Walder Frey: My God, I don't think I've enjoyed watching someone I despise in books as much as him! When he has a scene it's like the screen just lights up with charisma!

Visery for me. He seemed such a stock bad guy in the book, so imagine my shock when he turned out to be a layered character.

Viserys definitely was more interesting on the show than he was on the first book.

You could see his insecurities through his every action and that weird mother-father-brother role he used to have (as despicable as he was, the actor was able to allow us to understand why).

I like Stannis,Viserys, Theon and Balon Greyjoy on TV a whole lot better than i did in the books.

Sers Jorah and Davos are even more awesome than they are in the books, i now love Bronn because of Jerome Flynn.

TV Bran doesn't work for me, i prefer the kid in the books, and i'm not sure about Ned. Don't get me wrong, i still love Sean Bean (Ummmmmm Sharpe.....) but i don't see him when i'm reading Ned. I also can't quite reconcile the TV Yara with Asha the name doesn't help.

Actually, nearly everybody is brilliant, i can't really complain.

Archived