Were there any characters you hated in the books but really liked in the HBO show?

They see me R'hollin

As far as Yara goes, when I first saw the announcement of who was playing her I initially thought it was good a choice.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpb9sgp3lQ1qkswsho1_500.jpg

That photo of Gemma looks a lot like how I imagined Asha; especially that sly smile. Unfortunately they decided to ugly her up and dampen her personality quite a bit. Although re-watching Season 2 earlier in the year, I actually found her a bit more likable than I remembered (perhaps because I was paying close attention to her). Still, there's a lot of room for improvement - and I hope we see her more playful side start to shine next season.

Or vice versa?

E.g. I never really liked Jorah in the books, but Iain Glen's performance of him in the show totally won me over. Especially the scene where he's talking to the Dothraki man about their fathers and armour and swords.

Yes, it's difficult not to like him in the series. He comes across as very noble (well, apart from the failed poisoning attempt in season/ series 1 lol), but with the constant devotion and words of wisdom to his "Qalee-si" (I love the way he always says this), I'm actually finding myself gunning for him now - though I'm sure I'm alone in thinking they might have made a great couple after all!

However, as for other characters. I'm shocked at the "humanisation" of Tywin and Cersei. They were both utterly deplorable in season 1, but since then, the more compassionate side of their nature has developed. Tywin comes across as a ruthless individual, but he seems to have a modicum of honour in the TV show - it is as if he is aware of all the immoral acts that he has committed but he always seems to have an excuse for it, like "I did it for my family" or "I did it to end the war" hence saving countless lives in the process (ie. plotting with Walder Frey to murder Robb Stark).

Equally, Cersei seems to have mellowed a great deal and nowhere was this more apparent than with regard to her reaction to the beheading of Ned Stark (of which she genuinely appeared to have been remorseful for), her reaction to the killing of Robert's bastards (I'm sure it was her who ordered the killings in the books?) and also, her recounting her disappointment with Joffrey to Tyrion in Season 3. Equally, she also seems to have her fair share of excuses, like having to compete with her brothers while growing up or succeeding in the male dominated world of politics and court intrigue. Whilst it seems apparent that she is fast on the road to self-destruction due to insecurity and paranoia in the books, I am sure that this descent into madness will be treated as tragic when the events are translated to the screen.

Not sure why the Producers have chosen to endear these characters a bit more to the viewers. It is true that the empathetic qualities make these characters a lot more interesting and complex but the slight change in direction could be that as another poster has pointed out, with actors such as Charles Dance and Lena Headey, it is nearly impossible not to find some endearing quality with their portrayals, but equally, I think the Producers are catering to the fanbases, to whom even some of the most notorious Lannisters, probably have their fair share.

A few characters have remained universally vile though such as Joffrey and Walder Frey - while Stannis is as socially awkward and complex as he is in the books - but I'm sure that encouraging us all to hate them for a good while longer will make their demise seem even more sweet when the time comes.

A few characters have remained universally vile though such as Joffrey and Walder Frey - while Stannis is as socially awkward and complex as he is in the books - but I'm sure that encouraging us all to hate them for a good while longer will make their demise seem ever more sweet when the time comes.

Actually, I quite like show Walder. Sure, he's still an a** for what he did to the Starks, but he is just too funny for me to hate. His presentation of his daughters and granddaughters was comedy gold.

Archived