Were there any characters you hated in the books but really liked in the HBO show?

Charles Dance could play a maniacal cannibal that rapes children and you would still somehow like him.

THIS! haha Sums up all my thoughts really.

But to be fair I liked tywin in the books quite a bit too. Roose Bolton though, hated him in the books but kinda like him in the show.

I like Jorah a lot more in the show. And I felt a sympathy for Theon I never felt in the books. Not that I at all excuse what he's done. But the actor did a really awesome job at illustrating Theon's torment at being torn between his loyalty to his foster home and to his birth home and his eager if not pitiful attempts to be respected among the iron born. And even though I always liked Asha, I like her even more after seeing her t.v. version.

I also like Osha and Ygritte a lot more too.

Book Ygritte was a bit annoying, but the girl in the show does a splendid job.

'Did you pull a knife on me in the night?' LOL. Her part was really well written. And I agree, she was a bit aggravating in the book. Probably all of the 'you know nothing, Jon Snow' every two sentences.

Oh, I loved Ygritte in the show. She's a little prettier than she is in the books, but it was a perfect casting choice. And Brienne was perfect as well. I watched the series first before I read the first two books, and was suprised at how well the actresses had pulled the characters off.

Tv yoren and tv bronn are incredible. I hope we can all say the same for tv Vargo Hoat after season 3.

Sadly, they're removing Vargo and replacing him with a new character called Locke. Incredibly stupid, if you ask me. GRRM has pretty much given them a memorable villain on a silver platter, and they've decided not to use him.

I liked Yoren a good bit more in the show. (Granted, I'm behind and only on the 1st season. Season 2's on its way here via mail.) Littlefinger and Varys I liked more as well, not so much due to their personalities as I just really liked how the actors portrayed them. I enjoyed several of their scenes.

Tywin, for reasons ecoed a hundred times.

Love TV Show Shae, Hate Book Shae

Love Book Littlefinger, Hate TV Littlefinger

Love Book Robb, Hate TV show Robb

Love TV Show Bronn, Hate book Bronn,

LOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BOOK CERSEI, TV show Cersei is very weak . . . .. .

Season 1 Cersei was actually kind of badass, season 2 Cersei was just awful.

Pretty much everyone I hated in the books I have found somewhat likeable in the show. Except for the Mountain. He sucks everywhere he goes, I guess.

Theon - Up until ADWD I never really cared for Theon, and I couldn't stand him once he took Winterfell. Once he got to Winterfell in the show, however, I couldn't help but open my heart up to him a little.

Asha - I feel like I am the only girl out there who thought Asha was just the worst. I mean, I felt like in the books she just kept shoving the fact that she was awesome and a woman in everybody's face, like it is absolutely unheard of to be both those things. The Mormont women are like, "Yeah, we rock, what of it?" and I felt like Asha just couldn't get over herself for it. In the show, I kind of love her. She is awesome all on her own, and she doesn't act like her gender is the world's greatest handicap anybody could ever have.

Tywin - A dick in the books, but from the first moment he starts hanging with Arya in the show I started liking him. I refuse to like him any further.

Shae - I don't know why I like her now. I think its her bits with Sansa. Otherwise she's still not that great.

What's really surprised me more than anything were the one or two moments from the show that made me feel sympathetic towards Joffrey, of all people. Jack Gleeson is really incredible and couldn't be more perfect.

I can forgive a moment of pity towards Joffrey, as long as they don't try to de-evil Ramsay. I don't know if I could live with myself if I could ever look at Ramsay Snow with even a semblance of "aw."

I can forgive a moment of pity towards Joffrey, as long as they don't try to de-evil Ramsay. I don't know if I could live with myself if I could ever look at Ramsay Snow with even a semblance of "aw."

Well, I kinda felt bad for Ramsay when Roose warned him to not make him rue the day he raped his mother :P

Characters I hated in the Books but liked in Show:

Jon Snow: Don't get me wrong, he's still insufferable on a few levels, but there is more piss and vinegar in show-Jon than in book-Jon. Book-Jon is utterly passive, cliche "reluctant hero" BS, and bitchy. Show-Jon has more ambition and drive, and is slightly less bitchy (still very bitchy, tho). Classic example was the scene with Qiron Half-hand. In the book Half-hand chooses Jon for the ranger mission (something that legitimately makes no sense at all); in the show Jon volunteers for the mission which shows that he has some drive and some desire to DO something.

Balon Greyjoy: Again, its a matter of degree: in the book I think Balon Greyjoy is utterly ridiculous: he's literally angry at his son for being a captive to Ned Stark... after, of course, Balon made Theon a captive to Ned Stark. In the book, Balon has no moment where he seems to feel the weight of his own decisions and choices. In the show there is ONE shot where tHoen (finally) unloads on Balon for Balon's complete inability to understand his own actions and to know Theon's powerlessness. The show then closes on Balon's face and it shows- ever so briefly - the pain it is to be Balon Greyjoy and know that he knows the failures of his own life.

Sam: I do not dislike Sam in the books. However, Sam's mantra in the books got really old really, really fast (" I am a coward!!!!"). And Sam does very little growing in the books we see him in In the show, Sam doesn't really harp on being a coward, but he exudes that sense that he is utterly out of his element, but somehow able to show growth and development as a person, a man, and a Man of the Night's Watch. Such a better character in the show than in the book.

Bronn: In the books, Bronn is not nearly as witty, not nearly as well fleshed out. Book-Bronn was portrayed ONLY as a man who wanted money and has no unpaid loyalty. So much so that Bronn was a character who became very easy to hate (especially in events that happen after the opening of SoS). However, show-Bronn is fun, funny, interesting, multifaceted, more involved and far more layered. At the same time- I completely believe that show-Bronn is a mercenary; a gun-for-hire; a man who wanted the money. That was great.

There are also a host of characters that I thought were better in the show than the books, but I never "hated" them in the books (Robert, Viserys, Davos, Robb). But in thise cases its just a matter of degrees, The reality is that there are few characters in the books that I dislike (conversely there are a bunch of characters in the show I think I are just RIDICULOUS).

Archived