Heresy 42 (The Black Watch edition)

Black Crow

You mean Summerhall?

Yes, apologies for messing up.

The full crackpot version:

The CotF created the Others willinly/by chance when calling the hammer of the waters to shatter the neck. The Last Hero sacrificed himself so the Others "went to sleep". Cue forward to Summerhal: Targaryens want to hatch dragons but wake Others. Both dragons and Others are creatures of magic.

[sidestep: Jon is Ned's son, his mother is Melisandre. She glamoured herself as Catelyn to seduce Ned. Explains his guilt, his inability to explain or give a name, and it's a Darth Vader-like situation. Melisandre appears when Ned is executed and travels to the wall with Stannis to watch over Jon. She'll sacrifice herself in his funeral pyre so he'll be reborn.]

"dead things" = wights, not Others.

Yes, but wights are raised and commanded by the Others. If you're going to claim that massive forces of wights attacking large groups of men are common, you're gonna have to provide evidence, because my books don't seem to agree.

Yes, apologies for messing up.

The full crackpot version:

The CotF created the Others willinly/by chance when calling the hammer of the waters to shatter the neck. The Last Hero sacrificed himself so the Others "went to sleep". Cue forward to Summerhal: Targaryens want to hatch dragons but wake Others. Both dragons and Others are creatures of magic.

basically my thoughts on it as well

[sidestep: Jon is Ned's son, his mother is Melisandre. She glamoured herself as Catelyn to seduce Ned. Explains his guilt, his inability to explain or give a name, and it's a Darth Vader-like situation. Melisandre appears when Ned is executed and travels to the wall with Stannis to watch over Jon. She'll sacrifice herself in his funeral pyre so he'll be reborn.]

So a reverse Uther Pendragon?

Release the Kraken! :devil:

Forgot to update everyone on GRRM's Not a Blog. He has an interesting reply to one of the comments on his TV ventures...

"Dunk and Egg are being discussed [with HBO]. Robert's Rebellion is a part of Ice & Fire, won't be a separate series." - GRRM

So... might possibly see a Dunk & Egg series, and will have elements from the Rebellion during Game at some point? Interesting indeed

Yes, but wights are raised and commanded by the Others. If you're going to claim that massive forces of wights attacking large groups of men are common, you're gonna have to provide evidence, because my books don't seem to agree.

I don't think he's claiming that at all. The point is that while the Others/Sidhe have been around all the time they've been lurking in the woods. Its only recently that they've started raising armies of the dead to drive out the Thenns, clear the Watch off the Fist and presumably - although we've nothing beyond the cryptic - lay siege to Hardhome.

How old is Melisandre anyway? She reminds me of the Tar Valon witches in that way

Also * anyone who sees I posted a new thread about Whitewalkers just now, I am sorry, I genuinely thought this thread had been locked (got confused with the tab for this one and Heresy 41) and I know I should have probably posted my ideas here * and may the Father show mercy.

"Dunk and Egg are being discussed [with HBO]. Robert's Rebellion is a part of Ice & Fire, won't be a separate series." - GRRM

So... might possibly see a Dunk & Egg series, and will have elements from the Rebellion during Game at some point? Interesting indeed

Not necessarily, although you never can tell with Benioff and Weiss. The way I read it is that a Dunk and Egg series is a possibility because they're a couple of generations away from the Song of Ice and Fire and so capabable of doing a stand-alone. Robert's Rebellion on the other hand would involve a lot of the current characters, but a lot younger (and slimmer) and therefore likely to be confusing - and probably to little purpose.

and may the Father show mercy.

Mercy... mercy, nope, don't know that one. How does it go?

Guest right don't mean as much as it used to? :devil:

Try pleading to the Old Gods next time (unlike Stannis, we DO require you to make your promises before a tree :cool4: )

I genuinely thought this thread had been locked (got confused with the tab for this one and Heresy 41)

Heresy never dies!

We lock the previous threads when the new one is formed simply so that we can keep it all in one thread and not have to juggle the other 41 iterations. Most of the older ones are still open, but once someone does post something in one of them, we'll redirect them here and request a lock on that particular thread. Doesn't mean that you shouldn't utilize those older threads and copy/paste things in here and comment on them, we just want to keep the discussion contained for simplicity

Black Crow already covered it: No, what seems to be common is WW here and there, but the wights are a complete novum.

OTOH we do not know exact relation between wights and Others. At the Fist, only Wights are reported - Other appears only after the fight. When Sam and Gilly are attacked - only wights spotted. Outside CotF cave - only wights. Varamyr - also only wights. They are semi-autonomous at least and kind of unguided projectiles sometimes.

They are the "dead things" in the water and forests and it is not clear if they have Others with them. They are attracted to heat/life...

I don't think there's any reason to discount a connection between Craster's boys and the Wights, although I think its a matter of waking them up and letting them smell the heat signatures rather than actively controlling them, but the question to be answered is why, having been quite happy ranging through the woods and snapping up lonely travellers, they have suddenly started leading amies of the slain. Summerhall has been suggested, but I get the impression that the wights are much more recent.

Oh, my... You guys have been... productive! :wideeyed:

I have to catch up, just dropped by to share this piece of fan art, because it is so heretic - it's divine! :commie:

ETA: It actually says: Jon Snow - The Others' King :eek:

I think the artist was a bit too influenced by World of Warcraft. Nice art though

Could it be that the white walkers are simply corrupted wargs, wargs that took it too far and started to warg humans and then corpses? Bran warging Hodor anyone?

Yeah, I like the idea of the Others warging the dead beyond the Wall. But I won't go into my hive mind crackpots yet again :laugh:

Could it be that the white walkers are simply corrupted wargs, wargs that took it too far and started to warg humans and then corpses? Bran warging Hodor anyone?

Welcome to Heresy. Yes, one of the theories we've discussed here, based on the Varamyr prologue is that they are (or were) indeed wargs, able to fly free without needing a host and that they assume corporeal form as and when required by binding together ice crystals in the cold air.

Or they are a rebel group withing WW, breaking taboos and doing necromancy (kinda like Qyburn and UnGregor).

As for Wights, I wo not think Others directly control them (warging), they may have some basic command over them, but probably not too sophisticated. However wights seem to kind of remember bits and pieces - the two going after Mormont, Small Paul after Sam...

Archived