Help! My cat is a sex addict!

mashiara

Strange that this topic just popped up again. Today I saw my elderly (male, neutered, gigantic) cat Solomon mount my 9 month old (male, neutered, large but not gigantic) kitten. I know it's dominance behavior, but I've had Solomon with me for 13 years, and in that time I've rescued... well, Solomon was #3, and Egon was #18, so 14 other cats, plus he cohabitated with a good half-dozen other cats belonging to roommates etc., and he's never ever done that before. He has mounted a couple of females in heat despite being neutered, but never this. Dude has always been a really laid-back cat, a very confident alpha. Like whenever he was challenged by other cats, he wouldn't respond until they actually tried to jump him and then he kicked the living shit out of them. Well, he was submissive to his small-but-vicious mother, but to nobody else, and she died last year.

The kitten is... challenging. He has very strong wild instincts -- I've seen adult ferals that behave like him, but I rescued him from the undercarriage of a pickup truck when he was <3 months old. He's "spooky", he's pushy, he's got some of the strongest hunting/killing drives I have ever dealt with, and he's constantly treating the other cats like prey animals. If he's that tough for me to deal with, I can understand why Solomon might be feeling a bit insecure. I'm not really sure if there's anything I can do about it, though I'm considering trying Feliway out. The stuff's expensive as hell, though, and money is tight.

I've heard great stuff about Feliway, but I don't have a cat so don't know.

Maybe you can use it for a limited period until the Kitten settles down and becomes more manageble. I'd guess it may be enough to break the cycle?

Maybe there is a cheaper alterantive to Feliway that does the same thing?

I forgot how hysterical this thread was - thanks for bringing back the laughs!

Sadly, my Xander moved on this past September, so I can't contribute to the perversions anymore.

My new kitty hasn't shown any such perverted interests, so I might have a normal cat for a change...

*snip*

Or, you know, Egon might just be the kitten to flip Solomon to the Friends-of-Dorothy side. Some asses, they are difficult to turn down. Just sayin'.

I'm not really sure if there's anything I can do about it, though I'm considering trying Feliway out. The stuff's expensive as hell, though, and money is tight.

I think Solomon is communicating in the most direct clear language accessible to cats. If the little one doesn't get it, synthetic pheromones probably aren't going to help all that much. But you never know...

Archived