Do you want Aegon to be a fake?

GarthKITN

If he is fake, but this is never revealed to the readers, was he ever fake to begin with?

Will his "Targaryenessnessnessness" be what makes his Kingship the best for Westeros?

If Aegon dies before we get a confirmation will it really matter? In my opinion, no. The effect that Ageon has had on the politics of Westeros is going to be substantial, and enough of a catalyst to finally remove the Lannister's from Kings Landing.

I think he gets a lot of flack from dany supporters, because if he's real then he has a better claim than she does to the throne.

And Targ haters.

I would like him to be real, but im pretty sure he's not. I actually see him more as a device/game changer than an actual character.

A real Aegon would be an asspull. Plus it would make Dany's plot largely irrelevant.

It's a good thing you explained your reasoning. Its not like GRRM has done things COUGHrenlydyingCOUGHQuentynCOUGH that have basically no relevancy at all. And whats with this "shows up late" crap? Every book has introduced charcters with impacts that shoot other charcters plot points to shit. Honestly, blind hate much?

He just showed up halfway through the series with all these lame claims and a sense of entitlement. I think people are justified in not liking him.

Sense of entitlement

You just described most of the characters in the series. Him showing up late is actually a bonus because in real life things don't work out perfectly. News travels slowly and it makes sense that he would come later. Him being a world away and in hiding makes introducing him earlier problematic. Dany had to be the dragon queen for awhile and develop before a challenger approached. Could you imagine if he showed up while she was still the girl she was in AGoT?

As for Dany i think this revelation can make her stronger not weaker. Her whole thing has been that she is the last of her family. The realization that she is not has great possibilities for character development.

Aegon is basically the Robb Stark of his house. Not POV but that does not mean he will not succeed necessarily.

Topic: I don't want him to be real, particularly, although as others have pointed out, I suspect he'll be dead one way or another before we find out the truth of it.

I would like him to be real, but im pretty sure he's not. I actually see him more as a device/game changer than an actual character.

Yes, exactly: I see him as a catalyst and nothing more. GRRM went to some pains to make him not terribly likable, I suspect so that we wouldn't get too invested in the character or feel too badly when he dies. He may as well have tattooed "DON'T GET ATTACHED" on Aegon's forehead.

Good question...I don't know. I assume subconscious cynicism. Its like asking where do whores go or does Jon Snow really know nothing?

Well, for whatever it's worth, I'd like to hear about it. It is an Aegon thread after all :)

Niice guy @ Garth

Oh, calm down. It was a legitimate question and a theory I wanted to hear about. It didn't bug him. Hell, he said it was a good question.

It's a good thing you explained your reasoning. Its not like GRRM has done things COUGHrenlydyingCOUGHQuentynCOUGH that have basically no relevancy at all. And whats with this "shows up late" crap? Every book has introduced charcters with impacts that shoot other charcters plot points to shit. Honestly, hypocritical hate, much?

....Renly was a King with the full power of both the Reach and the Stormlands behind him. I'm pretty sure his death is extremely relevant. Quentyn's also relevant because a Martell-Targaryen marriage is part of the Martell's long term strategy and it's why they did nothing during the WotFK. Finally, nothing about that statement was hateful at all, so calling hypocritical hate doesn't make sense at all. Someone can not want Aegon to be real for other reasons OH GOD I HATE HIM SO MUCH

....Renly was a King with the full power of both the Reach and the Stormlands behind him. I'm pretty sure his death is extremely relevant. Quentyn's also relevant because a Martell-Targaryen marriage is part of the Martell's long term strategy and it's why they did nothing during the WotFK. Finally, nothing about that statement was hateful at all, so calling hypocritical hate doesn't make sense at all. Someone can not want Aegon to be real for other reasons OH GOD I HATE HIM SO MUCH

Melissandre made Renlys plot utterly irrelevant. Quentyn was introduced randomly late in the story. Using these reasons is hypocritical because they apply to other characters. Its flimsy justification you tack on to OH GOD I DONT LIKE AEGON that falls flat because they are staples of the series.

Man, because likeable characters are impervious to death while hated characters remain hated and die shortly after introduction. This dislike makes NO sense and the poor reasoning could be applied to so many characters...

Likeable characters are by no means immune in this series, but I meant that GRRM went to some pains to make sure that the reader doesn't identify too closely with Aegon or his aims. He's not an out and out villain, but he does show signs that would (and have) put readers off: the entitlement, the cockiness, the temper tantrum, etc. etc. I suspect that that's very deliberate; I don't think GRRM wants the reader to like Aegon all that much, since he seems quite likely not only to die, but also to die due to the actions of Dany and/or her associates. If GRRM wanted Aegon to come across as a truly sympathetic contender for the Iron Throne and someone the reader should root for, rally behind and view as a desirable alternative to Dany, I think those sections of ADWD featuring Aegon would have been written quite differently. As it is, he's not hateful, but he's not someone we should be particularly invested in or feel too outraged about when Dany and/or her associates curbstomp him. As I said, "Don't get attached."

Melissandre made Renlys plot utterly irrelevant. Quentyn was introduced randomly late in the story. Using these reasons is hypocritical because they apply to other characters. Its flimsy justification you tack on to OH GOD I DONT LIKE AEGON that falls flat because they are staples of the series.

And Aegon wasn't introduced randomly late in the story?

Well, for whatever it's worth, I'd like to hear about it. It is an Aegon thread after all :)

Oh, calm down. It was a legitimate question and a theory I wanted to hear about. It didn't bug him. Hell, he said it was a good question.

Yeah I got in before he replied haha

I refer to my earlier post about Aegons effectiveness at being Devisive both to the fan base and westeros. That is his purpose.

And my my, he does it so well!

He may as well have tattooed "DON'T GET ATTACHED" on Aegon's forehead.

Yeah...Too late for me though. I got attached to him anyway. Mostly due to his game changer status. I was all "Oooooooooohhhh snap! Shit just got real! Awww yiss." Besides, the conflict he will cause for Dany will be awesomesauce. Aegon's existence, real or not, means alliances are a-changin'. See Arianne's sample chapter for details.

Likeable characters are by no means immune in this series, but I meant that GRRM went to some pains to make sure that the reader doesn't identify too closely with Aegon or his aims. He's not an out and out villain, but he does show signs that would (and have) put readers off: the entitlement, the cockiness, etc. etc. I suspect that that's very deliberate; I don't think GRRM wants the reader to like Aegon all that much, since he seems quite likely not only to die, but also to die due to the actions of Dany and/or her associates. If GRRM wanted Aegon to come across as a truly sympathetic contender for the Iron Throne and someone the reader should root for and rally behind, I think those sections of ADWD featuring Aegon would have been written quite differently. As it is, he's not hateful, but he's not someone we should be particularly invested in or feel too outraged about when Dany and/or her associates curbstomp him.

Jaime was an out and out villain. Sandors sole saving grace in AGoT was wiping Sansas face before threatening to murder her. Im sying its so poor to take your subjective opinion on him not being "likeable" when other fan favourites were far, far worse prior to having other sides shown to them. I mean are your descriptions of Aegon not literally the exact same traits Jaime showed in the first book? I don't understand the two-sided interpretations.

Well since you asked so nicely, Ill share once again into the Aegon thread.

My theory is The Dragon must have three heads could be a signal to a new political structure to Westeros. When Tyrion went on his travels and went to Volantis during their elections for a the Triarchs. One character said how great it would have been if Westeros had Triarchs during The Mad kings rule (two other rulers to out vote him and make sure they wont do anything stupid). So I theorised the 3 heads of the dragon would be Daenerys (The Original Targ line), Jon Snow (if the R+L=J is to be believed creating a Targ/Stark line) and Aegon (Either being of the Blackfyre line or of Targ/Martell line). So 2 out of the three suspected dragons have encountered Tyrion and have seen him in a trusted way and with Tyrion and Dany meeting looming on the horizon he would have interacted with all 3 suspected dragons in question. So if a 2nd Dance of Dragons were to occur with either Dany or Aegon or my personally favourite a 3 way battle royale of dragons if Jon wants join in but this conflict could be ended with Tyrion suggesting they become Triarchs of Westeros with 3 heads of the dragon line to rule and keep each other in check. Tis' a theory I had and most of it comes out with hopes with Aegon to survive this yet or hell all 3 to survive.

Once cyvasse game he lost, to a dwarf, who in his eyes, tricked him.

Come on people, you'll have to do better than that!

Putting aside the temper tantrum of making Tyrion clean up the pieces;

• Being 17/18 and being unaccustomed to the idea someone might say 'no' to him.
  • Flubbing the fight with the stone man so Tyrion, who ain't really a fighter, had to bail him out.
  • This charming mix of arrogance and misogny '“and who is there left in Westeros to oppose us? A woman.'

I mean, he might become someone who is easier to get behind in Winds of Winter, but so far I can't see why I should like him.

Archived