Winter Fell?

redriver

The Night's King was a Stark.

But how does that make Jon have Other blood? If they have blood...

Did the Night's King breed with it and the child become lord of Winterfell, therefore putting the Other's ancestry in direct line of succession?

Did the Night's King breed with it and the child become lord of Winterfell, therefore putting the Other's ancestry in direct line of succession?

Uh yea basically.

http://awoiaf.wester...hp/Night's_King

EDIT: Oh wait I think I'm getting Bael the Bard and Nights King mixed up.

Uh yea basically.

The Nights King is thought to have been a Stark. He mated with the "Queen Other", for the lack of a better definition, and was ultimatley brought down by Joruman (of the wildings) and his own brother (who may have been a bastard, but don't go to the bank on that one).

While certain speculation is that Jon is the bastard son of Eddard Stark....no real problems on equating Jon back to the Nights King.

If however, Jon was born to Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark (hence, R+L=J); then through the "she-wolf" connection Jon is connected back to the NK.

P.S: redriver made reference to a relationship to the Others. Probably best that you ask for clarification on this point from redriver. My guess is that the point redriver was making is that Jon Snow and the Others could share the same....DNA.

Uh yea basically.

Nowhere does it say Jon is related to the Other Queen.

The Nights King is thought to have been a Stark. He mated with the "Queen Other", for the lack of a better definition, and was ultimatley brought down by Joruman (of the wildings) and his own brother (who may have been a bastard, but don't go to the bank on that one).

While certain speculation is that Jon is the bastard son of Eddard Stark....no real problems on equating Jon back to the Nights King.

If however, Jon was born to Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark (hence, R+L=J); then through the "she-wolf" connection Jon is connected back to the NK.

P.S: redriver made reference to a relationship to the Others. Probably best that you ask for clarification on this point from redriver. My guess is that the point redriver was making is that Jon Snow and the Others could share the same....DNA.

I knew the Night's King could be a relative of his, but that doesn't suggest at all him and the Others have the same DNA. If the Night's King was turned into an Other, that doesn't mean his brother the King in the North got it too.

I knew the Night's King could be a relative of his, but that doesn't suggest at all him and the Others have the same DNA. If the Night's King was turned into an Other, that doesn't mean his brother the King in the North got it too.

The immediate "funny" bloodline goes back to the Bael the Bard story, which is itself a thinly disguised reworking of the ballad of Tam Lin.

I got a question where did they dig up this Arya anyways. We know very well Arya is training with the Facelessmen and would more then likely slit Roose throat on there wedding night.

Read the books again.And again.And don't worry about what "we know" as much as what the characters know.

I got a question where did they dig up this Arya anyways. We know very well Arya is training with the Facelessmen and would more then likely slit Roose throat on there wedding night.

"Arya" in winterfell is Jeyne Poole, Sansa's friend. Littlefinger hid her in a brothel immediately following the northmen being slaughtered in book one.

Maybe there needs to be Blood of the First Men in Winterfell. Everything goes crazy when an Andal sits on the throne.

I take it you mean the Iron Throne?If so,no I don't think it matters.The Stark in Winterfell is what matters,that was the ancient pact,in this theory.Stark in Winterfell and Targaryen on the Iron Throne seemed to work just fine for nearly 300 years.Even though it started to fall apart when Rhaegar "eloped" with Lyanna,I think he was trying to unite the Houses to fulfill a prophecy.

Even that aside,things seemed to be normal as long as there was a Stark in Winterfell.It's their absence that is incurring the wroth of the old gods and no other First Men family will be tolerated,especially the Boltons.

But it does bring up the interesting question.If Stannis takes Winterfell,who would he install there as Lord,given the Karstark treachery and the lack of any nearby Starks to rally behind?

Always loved this post. That´s why, after reading Mellisandre´s vission of a tower falling by the sea, engulfed in a black and bloody tide, I wonder...

If Winterfell is the place where winter fell, the grave of the ancient Kings of Winter who threaten with their coming... Maybe Storms End, home of the old Storm Kings and also projected by Brandon the builder, is next to fall down... and a giantic tempest will bring the sea fury to the coast of Westeros.

Always loved this post. That´s why, after reading Mellisandre´s vission of a tower falling by the sea, engulfed in a black and bloody tide, I wonder...

If Winterfell is the place where winter fell, the grave of the ancient Kings of Winter who threaten with their coming... Maybe Storms End, home of the old Storm Kings and also projected by Brandon the builder, is next to fall down... and a giantic tempest will bring the sea fury to the coast of Westeros.

Black Crow will love that one...

When I read that, I thought it was Eastwatch; but, I think you've hit it. Aegon plans to lead the assault on Storm's End himself, and Targaryen colors are Black and Red.

Also, Winterfell, The Wall, and Storm's End all have ties to Bran the Builder. Mellisandre hasn't been to Winterfell, but she's commented on the magics which are still present in the Wall and Storm's End.

That would mean a rise in the power of the Old Gods (or Old Magic)... I would like that.

When I read that, I thought it was Eastwatch; but, I think you've hit it. Aegon plans to lead the assault on Storm's End himself, and Targaryen colors are Black and Red.

Also, Winterfell, The Wall, and Storm's End all have ties to Bran the Builder. Mellisandre hasn't been to Winterfell, but she's commented on the magics which are still present in the Wall and Storm's End.

I could easily go with that. Speculation on the towers has tended to be focussed on how closely (or not) they resemble Eastwatch, but Jojen's greendream about the fall of Winterfell - the sea coming over the walls - was very metaphorical, so what Mel "saw" might well have been Aegon's seaborn invasion

Here's another couple of quotes that appear to support the Winter Fell idea from lesser lights,-

Above,he could see some squires building snowmen along the battlements.[...]"Lord Winter has joined us with his levies," one of the sentries outside the Great Hall japed.

Here is a personification of winter.We haven't heard of a Lord Winter before,and the snowmen are reminiscent of the Others in some ways.

And here is a quote from a previous chapter,Reek,which seems to contain some foreshadowing,-

"He'll bed Lord Eddard's little girl,they say," Stout's cook complained when she did not know Reek was listening,"but we're the ones who'll be fucked when the snows come,you mark my words."

The second quote I found in a project by a former poster on these forums called Bran Vas.The project is called Winterfell Huis Clos,(Winterfell behind closed doors).Here's a link,

http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/HuisClos.html

It's a long and detailed look at the last four Winterfell chapters of ADWD with some excellent analyses of the various forces at play,and theories on the Hooded Man,the Red Letter and the Winter blizzard we're discussing here.A recommended read.

It would be even better if a poster of this quality was back on the forums.So,Bran Vas,I invite you back,for winter is almost upon us!

Here's another couple of quotes that appear to support the Winter Fell idea from lesser lights,-

Here is a personification of winter.We haven't heard of a Lord Winter before,and the snowmen are reminiscent of the Others in some ways.

And here is a quote from a previous chapter,Reek,which seems to contain some foreshadowing,-

The second quote I found in a project by a former poster on these forums called Bran Vas.The project is called Winterfell Huis Clos,(Winterfell behind closed doors).Here's a link,

http://branvras.free...s/HuisClos.html

It's a long and detailed look at the last four Winterfell chapters of ADWD with some excellent analyses of the various forces at play,and theories on the Hooded Man,the Red Letter and the Winter blizzard we're discussing here.A recommended read.

It would be even better if a poster of this quality was back on the forums.So,Bran Vas,I invite you back,for winter is almost upon us!

Thank you for sharing redriver. This post by Bran is going to a little time to get through. But hey, we all have time on our hands right until TwoW is released.!

Thank you, indeed, redriver. So much good reading.

For one thing, just the bit I've seen so far lends some layers to the name of this thread. Given all the meanings that can attach to the word "fell," it makes me wonder if the original Stark title used the two words: The King of Winter Fell (The King of Winter Cruel), and then the name combined to become something less dire over the centuries.

I was a fan of Bran Vras's writing; hope he returns.

As we know, the Wall is many leagues tall. Wouldn't this affect the weather in a similar way that mountains do? If the weather moves South from the 'Land of Always Winter' then it could get forced both East and West by the Wall. This would lead to the terrible Autumn storms that are referred to on the Narrow Sea as this would lead to high pressure. This would also mean that the weather then swoops in further down and you'd end up with two weather fronts meeting around the area of Winterfell.

It's possible then that Winterfell was named purely out of an observable weather patern, being that Winter falls at Winterfell first.

I'm no expert on weather patterns though so my thoughts could be completely wrong.

Archived