Books vs Show

Feralwolfchild

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot~

I know all of us can agree that the books are 1382927492x better than the HBO series (not that I hate it), but there are some things the show did a good job of portraying. Is there anything in the TV series you liked better? Any characters, scenes, etc?

After rewatching S1 last night, I can definitely say I like TV!Bronn better. I loved his and Tyrion's bromance, and the two actors are phenomenal together. Shae is also more likable than she was in the books, though I dunno if that's a good thing.

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot~

I know all of us can agree that the books are 1382927492x better than the HBO series (not that I hate it), but there are some things the show did a good job of portraying. Is there anything in the TV series you liked better? Any characters, scenes, etc?

After rewatching S1 last night, I can definitely say I like TV!Bronn better. I loved his and Tyrion's bromance, and the two actors are phenomenal together. Shae is also more likable than she was in the books, though I dunno if that's a good thing.

Sorry, Book Bronn > Show Bronn

Is not that it's better, but I do enjoy watching some scenes we don't get on the books because the POV structure of the novels.

One of my favorites are:

The Jaime and Tywin conversation in the first season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47MazYDnmaU

The message from Robb to Tywin was just awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4kA-GNW8ZI

I suppose is because I don't have to be inside his head all the time but I like Sam Tarly better in the show since he's more funny. Book Sam can become tiresome after a while because of his whining.

I just finished my rewatch of the show a few hours ago! And I am almost done with my reread of AGoT, so I can comment really well on season 1 vs. book 1.

Things I prefer in the show over the book:

1. It's been a little while since I read CoK but I got a more intense relationship from Catelyn/Robb on the show than I did in the books. I felt the love much more.

2. Jaime's conversation with Tywin when Tywin's gutting the deer..

3. The extended version of Tyrion confessing his crimes..

4. Alfie portrays Theon in a way that makes me understand him a bit more..

5. Renly and Loras' scenes were a nice addition, too..

6. There's a lot of lines that were present in the show but not in the book that I loved..

7. ^ Especially the whole scene between Robert and Cersei. "Does that make you feel better, or worse?" "...It doesn't make me feel anything."

8. It's not that I prefer it, per se, but I just love the way Varys and Littlefinger interact on the show. They captured the dynamic in a way I really am fond of.

9. Emilia Clarke's existence.

Something that really bothers me about the show, though, is the way they try and humanize Cersei. That story about her losing her first born? Give me a fucking break.

GRRM said he likes show Osha better, and I agree with him. Evidently Osha in WoW will take some influence from the show version.

I like the fact the show Jorah is actually kind of good looking, which makes the unrequited love a bit more sensible. Some old ugly man covered from head to toe in thick black hair (book Jorah) would know he has no chance.

Some of the changes to the sex stuff made good sense. Like the idea that a 13 year old girl would gladly lay down with Khal Drogo on the day she meets him. Tyrion raping his first wife after she'd been with 20 guys (although maybe he would have...), etc.

I liked Harry Lloyd's turn as Viserys. Vastly improved a book character there.

Alliser Thorne was kind of improved on the show too. I liked his little speech in s1.

Edit: Oh yea, and Alfie Allen as Theon.

:agree: in all three, especially Alliser Thorne. I always felt it was a good decision to give him more depth as a character in comparison with the books. I love that little speech where he basically tell Jon and Sam they are a pair of stupid summer boys.

I did not like the season 2 end for Dany, it was a little boring, I just hope that Arstan whitebeard and Strong Belwas appears some way in this season.

Another thing I don't like about the show is the color of the eyes of the characters, very important in the books..... And come on Tyrion has nose, that is just not right

I did not like the season 2 end for Dany, it was a little boring, I just hope that Arstan whitebeard and Strong Belwas appears some way in this season.

Another thing I don't like about the show is the color of the eyes of the characters, very important in the books..... And come on Tyrion has nose, that is just not right

I think it'd just be a pain in the ass to edit it out every time he's on screen for the rest of the series. If that one thing trips you up, that's your prerogative, but I still gotta say... C'mon.

There are definitley some things I like about the show more. One of my fav scenes from S1 is the Robert/Cersei "what holds this kingdom together" scene, both actors totally made it work.

Theon is also very different on the show for me. I hate Theon in the books, like so much I don't actually feel that bad for him going through all he has with Ramsey, I feel like BookTheon karmically had it coming. I do not feel that way at all about TVTheon. I give full credit to Alfie because I totally feel for Theon in the show, even as he makes the same mistakes that book Theon made.

I also both do and don't like that they are trying to make Cersei more human. I liked the awareness that she had in S2 about Joffrey, cause she never has those moment about him in the book. Granted it might be because TVJoffrey is so much worse than BookJoffrey, such that it would make her look much more unhinged if she didn't notice he was off, but still I give credit there because BookCersei really bugged me on that front. HOWEVER I would like to also chime in that I HATE the addition of the dark haired baby she lost in S1. I know why they did it, I just don't like it.

I also loved the Tywin/Arya stuff in S2, I know it was a totally messing around with her story there but they worked so well together.

The Jaime and Tywin conversation in the first season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47MazYDnmaU

That's such an awesome scene, best intro of any character I can think of. It's funny too, since that's basically the Sam/Randyll Tarly scene where Randyll threatens to have Sam hunted down and killed unless he takes the Black, reworked for Jaime & Tywin's relationship.

ETA - Tywin/Arya is a-ma-zing!! Charles Dance & Maise Williams are fantastic together. I have to say Charles Dance does make me like Tywin more, not that they've softened him up, but just cause he kinda rules as Tywin.

I think for what they're trying to jam into roughly ten hours of programming the showrunners are killing it, the casting choices and performances have been impeccable, they've done the impossible job of making - Cersei, Tywin, Theon, and Sansa empathetic/understandable. I loved in season 1 the added scenes between Jamie and Ned, Jamie and Jon Snow, and Syrio's monologues; the scenes between Tywin and Arya were incredible.

Most importantly I find the show's age up much appreciated as it is weird hearing how sexy some 11 to 13 girl year old is similarly it makes some other character's actions much more believable.

Additionally, I like some of the character's appearances on the show better visually then how they are described in the book, through others are better in the book rather then the show.

Finally, as mentioned I think Alfie Allen has been better at portraying the torn nature of Theon then how GRRM orginally wrote it.

I agree, the thing that pissed me off the most about S2 was how much they changed Dany's story, especially with killing off Irri, Rakharo, and how Doreah betrayed her. I just thought all of that was unnecessary.

Show!Osha is fantastic as well. I like the dynamic she has with Bran. Maybe all of them will go North together instead of her going off with Rickon?

I wish they had more direwolf scenes, but I understand about the budget. CGI must be expensive.

Jack Gleeson does a great job with Joffrey. I dunno if I'd say I like him MORE than book Joff, but he's an excellent little monster.

Archived