Three Heads of the Dragon: A Geographical Take

J. Stargaryen

If the THotD meant three dragon riders, then why wasn't it fulfilled when Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys conquered the Seven Kingdoms? Because that seems problematic for the THotD = 3 dragon riders explanation. And if the THotD was three Targaryens, well, we've had plenty of Targaryens in Westeros for the past three centuries.

Maybe mix the theories and say they were not the three heads because they never conquered Dorne.

And perhaps also because they never mixed with the Martells and Starks, producing someone or multiple someones who were representative of both Targaryen and Dorne/North.

No Targaryen mixed with a Martell until the dragons were dead, and maybe not with a Stark until Rhaegar and Lyanna, while the dragons were still dead.

The dragons have only just returned with three characters that are stated to be or suspected to be Targaryen descendants of Aerys and Rhaelle becoming mor adults, perhaps hatching into "dragon," or "killing Egg."

If YG is Aegon son of Rhaegar he is connected to Dorne through his mother, Daenerys is connected to KL and the south through her mother, and Jon to Winterfell and the north through his mother.

Or if it refers to just one person in Jon, he also is possibly the only descendent of Aerys and Rhaelle that has Dornish, Targaryen and First Men ancestry.

Just throwing stuff around.

I hadn't read this theory before, very interesting. Thank you.

It wouldn't surprise me if (as someone mentioned earlier) the prophesy related to more than one thing. It can also be hat there will be three destruct regions, but one country (the dragon) and maybe one ruler.

I hadn't read this theory before, very interesting. Thank you.

It wouldn't surprise me if (as someone mentioned earlier) the prophesy related to more than one thing. It can also be hat there will be three destruct regions, but one country (the dragon) and maybe one ruler.

I would actually prefer the prophesy to have multiple meanings at the end of the series - both the obvious and the subtle ones. Not everything has to be mutually exclusive. I like this geographical take, but only if it can be in addition to a clearer meaning. While I am fine with the "correct" answer being unexpected and even with multiple fulfillments of the same prophesy, I really want to see all 3 dragons have riders.

And, I admit that I want 1 of the remaining 2 dragons to go to Tyrion regardless of his true heritage. His dragon dreams, studies, and general fascination with dragons provides a legitimate reason for GRRM to put him on one irrespective of how this prophesy is correctly interpreted. After all, everyone is a dwarf on the back of a dragon.

• 2 months later...

Okay, well the new book really needs to come out.

The dragon did have two heads, or what he thought was the dragon, the Targaryen children. He already had two kids and was standing their with new born baby Aegon, then he saw Dany in like Vision. He thought he was seeing another Targaryen that he was suppose to father. "The dragon has three heads." Is a realization statement.

It's importance to the series is that it set in motion the abduction of Lyanna Stark. Which basically starts the series.Oh excuse me not abduction they lovingly ran away together, got married and had triplets and their own reality tv series called R+L=Jon.

People let me tell you about the best ship

It's a warm hearted story you'll love it front to end

People let me tell you about the best ship

Rhaegars boy, Lyanna's joy, your up your down our pride and joy.

If you need to ask if I am being sarcastic, you, you... well it's just obvious really.

If seeing Dany in a mirrored vision and he took her for his child, thus spurring him to kidnap the woman he really loves to make that happen, then that truly would be an ironic statement on the dangers of misinterpreting prophesy.

If seeing Dany in a mirrored vision and he took her for his child, thus spurring him to kidnap the woman he really loves to make that happen, then that truly would be an ironic statement on the dangers of misinterpreting prophesy.

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever seen that idea before; that Rhaegar 'saw' Dany and thought she was his Visenya. That's pretty neat, Alia.

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever seen that idea before; that Rhaegar 'saw' Dany and thought she was his Visenya. That's pretty neat, Alia.

I'm afraid I can't take credit for it if I understood correctly Ser Creighton line of thought.

But I could see how those events could play out with the Maesters having told Rhaegar that Elia would bear him no more children, and then seeing Dany in a vision and mistaking her for his daughter rather than his sister after meeting and falling in love with Lyanna.

As I've always said, bad men need no excuses to do questionable things, but good men do, and in a twist of irony, the vision of Dany might have provided that excuse but fulfills prophesy in getting Jon.

I'm afraid I can't take credit for it if I understood correctly Ser Creighton line of thought.

But I could see how those events could play out with the Maesters having told Rhaegar that Elia would bear him no more children, and then seeing Dany in a vision and mistaking her for his daughter rather than his sister after meeting and falling in love with Lyanna.

As I've always said, bad men need no excuses to do questionable things, but good men do, and in a twist of irony, the vision of Dany might have provided that excuse but fulfills prophesy in getting Jon.

Oh, you're right. I actually skipped over that because I had already read it so many months ago, and it didn't start off in a very flattering way. But yeah, it's a sensible idea for sure.

Btw, when I get around to it I think I'll rewrite the beginning of the OP, to take the emphasis off of the map and the "Valyrian claw." If anything, I think that was just meant to be a clue that Westeros is the three heads.

Oh, you're right. I actually skipped over that because I had already read it so many months ago, and it didn't start off in a very flattering way. But yeah, it's a sensible idea for sure.

Btw, when I get around to it I think I'll rewrite the beginning of the OP, to take the emphasis off of the map and the "Valyrian claw." If anything, I think that was just meant to be a clue that Westeros is the three heads.

I see what your saying. ;)

In terms of the idea, I think it also kind of follows the same visioning sequence as Bran looking into the past through his visions. Perhaps the same thing happened with Dany and Rhaegar in terms of looking through time.

Anyway, I always look forward to a Lady Gwen and a J. Stargaryen theory. :bowdown: :D

• 1 year later...

I've read several of your proposed theories and, like this one, they are generally quite impressive!

One idea I have to edit your own: perhaps Daenerys rules Essos, while Aegon rules Westeros and Jon rules the Lands Beyond the Wall or Aegon rules the South while Jon rules the North and the Lands Beyond the Wall (which might not exist anymore at the end of this story). Just a thought.

I've read several of your proposed theories and, like this one, they are generally quite impressive!

One idea I have to edit your own: perhaps Daenerys rules Essos, while Aegon rules Westeros and Jon rules the Lands Beyond the Wall or Aegon rules the South while Jon rules the North and the Lands Beyond the Wall (which might not exist anymore at the end of this story). Just a thought.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I'm not at all wedded to the version I proposed. I was just purely spit balling there.

• 3 months later...

I was looking at the HBO map of Westeros and Essos, and a funny thought occurred to me, one that I initially laughed off as a cute coincidence: Essos kind of looks like an animal. No, really. Specifically, the first thing that jumped out at me is that Valyria resembles a claw, or talons.

The problem here is that Valyria didn't look like that before the Doom, then it was just a peninsula. Sure, it may've looked a bit like a foot, but not like claws.

• 1 month later...

The problem here is that Valyria didn't look like that before the Doom, then it was just a peninsula. Sure, it may've looked a bit like a foot, but not like claws.

I'm not sure that's a problem, really. This is a fairly crackpot idea anyway, and not one I believe. At least anymore. I think there could be something to it as foreshadowing or symbolism, though. Patterns repeating themselves, etc.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but the answer to why previous triads of Targaryens didn't fulfill the prophecy is simple: it wasn't time yet.

The Dragon that was Promised is a warrior who defeats the Others, from what we can tell/interpret/guess. The Others weren't bothering anyone until now.

Also, the conditions for the birth of TDtwP were probably not in evidence for any Targs born before Rhaegar. We know the comet is at least thought to be involved because Aegon was supposedly conceived under it.

There are probably other signs or indicators that we just don't know about yet.

It's not as simple as just needing three people in the family. The rest of it has to come together too.

Interesting theory J. Stargaryen.

Archived