Small questions v.10003

Angalin

That question is neither small nor stupid :drunk: The theories are multitudinous & varied, check out http://asoiaf.wester...2650-heresy-46/

or

http://asoiaf.wester...eretic-re-read/

My favourite theory is that the boys are sacrificed to allow some form of ice magic to be performed, following the "only death can pay for life" rule. Craster is a super interesting (& icky) dude, he's got quite a bit of press over on heresy recently, specifically which gods he keeps. Mormont says to Jon that Craster serves "crueler gods than you or I", with some speculating that he keeps the original gods of the first men, the gods they came to Westeros with before the COTF introduced them to the gods of the forest, what we now know as "the old gods". My own personal bug bear re Craster is, who was his first wife? Who gave him his first daughter or son? I think it may have been his mother, which ups the dudes icky factor to truly epic levels.

Thanks, those heresy threads make some very interesting reading.

Another quick question: where exactly do women come in in terms of inheritance (outside of Dorne)? If a king or lord has daughters and brothers but no sons, is their heir the eldest daughter or the eldest brother (assuming they haven't named anyone)? And if it's the later, does it have to go through all the male heirs before it gets to the women?

Thanks, those heresy threads make some very interesting reading.

Another quick question: where exactly do women come in in terms of inheritance (outside of Dorne)? If a king or lord has daughters and brothers but no sons, is their heir the eldest daughter or the eldest brother (assuming they haven't named anyone)? And if it's the later, does it have to go through all the male heirs before it gets to the women?

The eldest daughter gets it everywhere except for the Targs if their are no sons as far as I know.

When did Cersei and Jaime started to have incestous relationship? Was it before or after Cersei married Robert? I got confused with the timeline when I was reading the app.

When they were young children before even Tyrion was born. Kind of weird, when you think about it. But we know Joanna tried to separate them and you can assume they never really stopped since Joanna died shortly after.

When they were young children before even Tyrion was born. Kind of weird, when you think about it. But we know Joanna tried to separate them and you can assume they never really stopped since Joanna died shortly after.

ooh... I thought Cersei was a maiden when she married Robert. :stunned:

No! Have you read the Dunk & Egg stories? Have you read the books by seperate POVs (followed one POV at a time)? Have you rearranged the letters of the books until you saw the true face of GRRM? Yes, then search the Winds of Winter section of the A Dance with Dragons forum for discussions of the sample chapters and Martin´s readings. ^_^

Why Theon didn't call himself "King" when he took Winterfell? Robb was King, but Theon took his kingdom: Winterfell, the heart of the North. Even if Balon, his father, crowned himself King of the Iron Islands, the North was a different/separated Kingdom. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but was Rhaego born a dragon? MMD describes him as scaly with "bat like wings". Was that because of the blood magic or was Rhaego going to be the dragon that mounts the world?

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed but I haven't seen anything about it.

Why Theon didn't call himself "King" when he took Winterfell? Robb was King, but Theon took his kingdom: Winterfell, the heart of the North. Even if Balon, his father, crowned himself King of the Iron Islands, the North was a different/separated Kingdom. Any thoughts?

He took WF on behalf of his father and the Kingdom of the Iron islands. He was sent by his father, although the decision to took WF was his own. There was no sign whatsoever he was doing something else. And this "something else" would have been called High Treason against King Balon.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but was Rhaego born a dragon? MMD describes him as scaly with "bat like wings". Was that because of the blood magic or was Rhaego going to be the dragon that mounts the world?

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed but I haven't seen anything about it.

I don't buy any of this. I think Rhaego was just a normal stillborn baby. MMD was adding insult to injury.

Hey all, loving all the stuff ive founds on these forums thanks for everyones input.

Dont know if this has been discussed at all (sry if it has), but when Dany was in the HOTU when I read that part there was something in it ( I dont remember what/dont have the book atm to re read it, loaning it out trying to spread the storie around LOL)

but something that made me think the HOTU people were somehow related to the others, either ancestors or they were servents of the others now or in the past or both.

And if they are maybe its been going on for 1000's of years and the undying are there instruments to use around the world outside of winter lands and the cold and such.

Also just re reading AGOT and when the talk to each other in the prologe it also makes me think they may have a whole sort of civilization up there somewhere with towns and such maybe with a king and what have you and they used to control alot more land and are trying to go south and reclaim it.

Maybe the others are just another species of humans/mammals/ intelligent beings if you like, sort of how there giants/ COTF etc and were once spread across the land doing there evil things and the COTF came over and battled or who knows and pushed them back north.

Any thoughts on this ppl?

thanks

edit, i guess this isnt really a small question lol

How skilled of a swordsman/fighter was Robb supposed to be?

I tend to think of Robb like Ned, competent but perhaps better at commanding. Jon, if you can believe what he says, thinks of himself as the superior swordfighter but Robb as superior at the lance. Suggesting Robb probably has more brute strength but Jon is better at hand-to-hand combat.

Dornishman´sWife´sHusband, she is said to be a shadowbinder we don´t know wether she really is, nor of any afiliation of the shadowbinders to another group (for example "the dour and frightening Shadow Men, who covered their arms and legs and chests with tattoos and hid their faces behind masks." Dany mentions in "Game", though it seems certain that they are from Asshai and might be connected to the faith of R´hllor.

not in the face, Azor Ahai is the hero of a "five thousand" year old legend (imagine Gilgamesh) of Asshai. The legend doesn´t state, afaIk, that he encountered the Others or mentions how he died. We are told the story of how he forged Lightbringer and "Thereafter Lightbringer was never cold to the touch, but warm as Nissa Nissa had been warm. In battle the blade burned fiery hot. Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame.” (Jon, Dance). The creatures most often called monster in the book are human btw. Tyrion, Knights, Dany.

Melisandre connects "the Prince that was promised" with a prophecy of Azor Ahai returning and Maester Aemon confirms that he and Rhaegar made this connection too. However, we are not told what tPtwp was meant to do. There are "fools at the Citadel", who await a summer that never ends. The red priest Benerro expects "even death to bend it´s knee". Melisandre expects AAR to defeat the Great Other and "...She feared to dream. Sleep is the little death, and dreams the whisperings of the Other, who would drag us all into his eternal night." (Melisandre, Dance).

A nice discussion can be found hereand here. Searching will also help.

ETA: DerfelCadan85, no it´s not really small. :laugh: I think the heresy threads are the place for you. Here is the most recent one, though they go so fast now that there probably is a new one opened while I post this.

Anyone knows who made a thread regarding Robb Stark naming his heir?

Also another thread discussing about Lord Manderly's pick of songs during the feast in Winterfel together with the Boltons and the Freys?

Manderly's Other Songs

Not sure which thread you are looking for re: Robb's will. There are a lot of them. My personal favorite is the Great Northern Conspiracy. I think it's on it's third iteration at this point.

Manderly's Other Songs

Not sure which thread you are looking for re: Robb's will. There are a lot of them. My personal favorite is the Great Northern Conspiracy. I think it's on it's third iteration at this point.

Thanks, I remembered Tze and Apple Martini posted or made a thread about it

I wonder if their profile can tell you the history of the threads and posts they made

Archived