Game of Thrones Episode Titles

Westeros

Well, they could just skip the whole stuff about saving Gendry, and have Davos convince Stannis with the letter only to go North and defend the Wall. Then Gendry could accompany them, become a sort of surrogate figure for Daven Seaworth as Stannis' squire.

It would not change Gendry's character all that much. He has become a devoted follower of R'hllor in the books as well...

Show Stannis cannot have the same issues with Gendry he and Selyse had with Edric in the books since Gendry was obviously not conceived in Stannis marriage bed.

If Gendry went North with Stannis the chances for him to finally meet with Arya again are much higher than if he returns to the Riverlands. UnCat and Thoros seem to be the ones really fucked up in AFfC (and the coming novels).

Well it depends entirely on what Gendry's role will be in TWOW, and what the roles of Pod and Hyle will be in TWOW if he's going to be taking on some of their roles. Gendry's been kept around in the background for a reason and it's not unlikely to think that he'll have a fairly big role in TWOW.

I also think it's important that we have closure on the sacrifice thing. Having Gendry accompany Stannis to the Wall would mean Mel might continue to press the matter, whereas in the books she moves on to Mance and his son (which should happen on the show as well of course.).

So ultimately I think that to prevent the butterfly effect from having too much of an effect it will be best to get Gendry back to the Riverlands ASAP. But yeah I would be willing to bet money that Gendry will be featuring a lot more in Brienne's arc.

I'm also interested in where they'll be taking Gendry in future seasons because I read a comment from Joe Dempsy that D+D were open to the idea of inventing new plots for his character. I'm going to bet that Brienne's arc will be in S4, and rather than just appearing back with the BWB without any explanation, Gendry will meet up with Brienne on the road and partake in her adventures.

We already have Pod, and frankly Brienne+Pod is much better story fodder than Breinne and Gendry would be. B&G are too similar in too many ways (honorable, physically capable, basically quiet/introvert types) to make a good pairing. Unless you mean Brienne+Pod+Gendry which I think is still not as good as the original.

Edric Storm was shipped off to Volantis, wasn't he? Or somewhere in Essos? Maybe that will be Gendry's fate... only to meet up with Tyrion and Jorah? I can't really think how he fits over there either, though.

Davos sends Edric to Lys. That's revealed in the appendix of ADwD.

As to Gendry's role in the novels:

He has none, and I don't see how he can become important later on. What could he possibly do? He is a side character GRRM grew fond, just like Bronn and countless others.

Ah, thanks. In any case, they could change it to Volantis, or somewhere more connected with the Essos storyline, if they wanted. Again, I have to admit I can't think what he would do there that would make any sense... but I don't think him joining Brienne makes sense either.

ETA; Someone in WiC made an interesting post "I love that the scene in the previews that everyone has been freaking out about between Melisandre and Gendry is in the GRRM written episode." Yup, GRRM aproves the change or so it seems :P

Sounds like damage limitation to me. ;)

GRRM has confirmed that characters who are still alive in the books will be killed this season, so I'm calling it now: Gendry will be killed.

GRRM has confirmed that characters who are still alive in the books will be killed this season, so I'm calling it now: Gendry will be killed.

Well, that is upsetting. I was looking forward to Davos sending Gendry away by ship to Lys or whatnot... I thought that was a pretty significant character development for both Davos and Stannis.

As to Gendry's role in the novels:

He has none, and I don't see how he can become important later on. What could he possibly do? He is a side character GRRM grew fond, just like Bronn and countless others.

He's the member of a group that serves Robert Baratheon....his father. Once LS kicks the bucket they'll need a leader. Who better than the son of the person they still follow?

He's the member of a group that serves Robert Baratheon....his father. Once LS kicks the bucket they'll need a leader. Who better than the son of the person they still follow?

Who`s LS? Lord Snow? Lyanna Stark? Lady Stoneheart?

It`s Lady Stoneheart. What a stupid question.

We already have Pod, and frankly Brienne+Pod is much better story fodder than Breinne and Gendry would be. B&G are too similar in too many ways (honorable, physically capable, basically quiet/introvert types) to make a good pairing. Unless you mean Brienne+Pod+Gendry which I think is still not as good as the original.

Edric Storm was shipped off to Volantis, wasn't he? Or somewhere in Essos? Maybe that will be Gendry's fate... only to meet up with Tyrion and Jorah? I can't really think how he fits over there either, though.

Well I was thinking that Podd could be there as well. Of course this might be a problem if Brienne's quest is in S4, but Tyrion could perhaps send him off with Brienne knowing that should he be convicted Pod will probably be killed too. It's perhaps not as good as the original Brienne/Pod/Hyle trio, but I think it would work well enough. For a minor character Hyle requires an awful lot of backstory and exposition to introduce and there may not be enough time for Brienne to go from hating to respecting him in the show.

As for potentially taking Edric's role past ASOS it all depends on the end game. If Edric is the more important character than Gendry will probably be shipped off to Essos, however I think it more likely that Gendry will be more important. Also they're are apparently looking at how to keep Gendry on screen where he isn't in the books, and this is easier to do with the stories in Westeros than in Essos.

About Gendry probably being told he's Robert's bastard: I can see Gendry pretty much just ignoring that completely and not believing it. That would be just like him.

I guess, this season will end with Robb's and Balon's death (this one will happen off-screen like in the books) in order to: a ) set thing up for the next season, Stannis won't sacrifice Gendry at first but after royal deaths Gendry's fate will be a mistery for Non-readers, and b ) Give people hope that Joffrey will die soon, 2 kings have died and Mel promissed Joffrey's death.

Then in S4, the sacrifice will be the main theme in Dragonstone, after the PW Davos will smuggle Gendry back to the Riverlands instead of Lys (and he re-join the BWB). Gendry can later take Hyle Hunt part, he is a knight after all, and he could be looking for "the Hound" instead of Sansa, for the BWB (that we know are looking for him), that won't change neither Brienne's nor Gendry's role in AffC

I guess, this season will end with Robb's and Balon's death (this one will happen off-screen like in the books) in order to: a ) set thing up for the next season, Stannis won't sacrifice Gendry at first but after royal deaths Gendry's fate will be a mistery for Non-readers, and b ) Give people hope that Joffrey will die soon, 2 kings have died and Mel promissed Joffrey's death.

Then in S4, the sacrifice will be the main theme in Dragonstone, after the PW Davos will smuggle Gendry back to the Riverlands instead of Lys (and he re-join the BWB). Gendry can later take Hyle Hunt part, he is a knight after all, and he could be looking for "the Hound" instead of Sansa, for the BWB (that we know are looking for him), that won't change neither Brienne's nor Gendry's role in AffC

That makes a lot of sense, I can see both Davos rescuing Gendry, and Brienne being sent off by Jaime happening in E4, allowing them to meet up in E5. Duskendale would be a logical point to drop Gendry back off onto the mainland and Brienne will be passing through there. Gendry will be looking for Arya and Brienne will be looking for Sansa so they'll decide it makes sense to team up and get both Stark Kids together.

This would be a good example of adaptation done well:

• It doesn't take up time because we'll be seeing Brienne's quest anyway.
  • It removes the need to introduce a minor character which requires a lot of exposition for the audience to understand.
  • It keeps an actor on screen to avoid contracting issues.
  • If written well there's no need for it to change any of the character's personalities.

So it passes my standards at least :P

I'm not yet sure about Brienne's quest. My guess is that they might give some of the Hyle/Pod/Nimble Dick stuff to Jaime and Brienne on their way towards KL after they leave Harrenhal. That way they would have something to do and could arrive there after the Purple Wedding. They could, for instance, track down some member of Locke's gang or perhaps even Locke himself. My guess is that he is going to be in real trouble after he returns to Harrenhal with mutilated Jaime with Roose already considering to turn his cloak...

And Brienne can easily remain at KL for a few episodes, interacting with Loras, Margaery, and Cersei.

I'm not yet sure about Brienne's quest. My guess is that they might give some of the Hyle/Pod/Nimble Dick stuff to Jaime and Brienne on their way towards KL after they leave Harrenhal. That way they would have something to do and could arrive there after the Purple Wedding. They could, for instance, track down some member of Locke's gang or perhaps even Locke himself. My guess is that he is going to be in real trouble after he returns to Harrenhal with mutilated Jaime with Roose already considering to turn his cloak...

And Brienne can easily remain at KL for a few episodes, interacting with Loras, Margaery, and Cersei.

I didn't consider how Locke might get his comeuppance in the show but it would indeed be good if Jaime and Brienne had some final show down with him in E9/10. Once they get to KL however I see little point in delaying Brienne leaving to find Sansa. In the books you can put characters on the back burner like that but it won't go down so well on the show, Brienne just fading into the woodwork for a season for no reason. I mean sure you can invent scenes of her talking with Cersei and Margaery but isn't that really just filler? I think people would be more eager to see her getting something done. If the PW is in E2 then Jaime/Brienne should arrive in KL for E3 and then Brienne can be sent off in E4/5.

I didn't consider how Locke might get his comeuppance in the show but it would indeed be good if Jaime and Brienne had some final show down with him in E9/10.

Wouldn't really make any sense - it Jaime was going to have it out with Locke, he would have done so at Harrenhal immediately after the bearpit rescue. There are any number of ways Locke could get his comeuppance in the show as a rogue bannerman of Roose Bolton's, but the longer-term plotline with the Jaime/Cersei rift needs to show that Jaime is desperate to get back to KL and Cersei. So I suspect we will get a short scene of him and Brienne on the road to KL in Ep 10, where they get the news of the RW and we see Brienne's grief for Cat.

S4 may need at least one additional scene with Brienne and Margaery or Cersei (the latter would be fun) or even with Jaime before Brienne heads off, as there is so much of the J/B relationship that only develops in their thoughts during AFFC, which will be very difficult to translate to the screen. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nimble Dick part of Brienne's AFFC journey gets omitted - if they want her to get revenge on Locke or some of his henchmen, they could always invent a scene where Brienne (and Pod?) are attacked somewhere on the road, and Brienne defeats them. I think it will be far more important and interesting to see her in Maidenpool with Randyl Tarly, and we definitely need to get the Quiet Isle with Elder Brother and a glimpse of The Hound. (I think the QI is going to be important in TWOW). It wouldn't surprise me if Ser Hyle's character is cut - Brienne is more likely to want to save Pod than Ser Hyle, so omitting him would not affect her motives in the scene with LS.

No. Gwen and Nik went to LA some weeks ago just to film the bearpit scene with Little Bart. That scene will undoubtedly occur in Season 3, presumably Ep 7 given the new title. See George's blog.

ETA: I'd forgotten that Olenna got them to sing that song in this scene - if both scenes are now in the same episode, the change of title makes great sense!

nvm

I don't expect them to make it back to KL before the end of this season. Having them hearing of the RW while enroute is a perfect spot to end. However, if they do make it back to KL I suspect their final scene will be of Jaime ordering Brienne placed in a cell. WHat a horrific way to end the show!! Is he good, is he bad? Is he back to his old self? Poor Brienne!!

Why does everyone assume that Gendry will stay in Dragonstone? If Mel does tell Gendry about his father, he might still want to be a part of the BWB, and not have anything to do with Stannis or the Iron Throne. Doesn't he just want to be left alone in the books as well? I'm predicting that Davos will smuggle Gendry out of Dragonstone and return him to Thoros and Beric in the Riverlands. That way, he's still there when Brienne arrives at Saltpans.

Archived