Dumbest things you've heard about ASOIAF

Angmar

Also another eyerolling one: "There are no heroes or villains in ASOIAF."

This - and it's no better coming from Martin himself. It's a fashionable claim to make about one's work, but if you're going to sustain it, you have to make sure that there are no characters who completely lack redeeming qualities; is there just something we don't know about Joffrey, Gregor, Ramsay, Vargo and Rorge that would make us think better of them?

The scathing, sloppy, immature and inaccurate review of ASOIAF by Sady Doyle on Tiger Beatdown.

I just googled the article and yeah it is pretty ridiculous. You should have put a warning though, that the article contains fem****m otherwise unsuspecting people might bump into it.

"Robert, in many ways, represents the white male repressed, told that his urges for revenge, righteous anger and loud life are unacceptable."

I think any further verbal belittling of the white male will bring about another wave of imperialism, followed by three hundred years of bitching, moaning, and tumblr social justice.

"Aeron Grayjoy (Damphair) is an interesting character and important to the story."

"I wish GRRM had left out the dragons and magic."

Ahem:

To be fair, the statement quoted by the OP was "Omg I'm just like Arya!" , not "OMG, I so relate to Arya." If I heard that the first thing I'd think would be "you cut throats?" Compare and contrast: "Omg I'm just like Cersei!" "Omg I'm just like Dany!" etc.

I find that piece so hilarious I can't get mad at it. I'm also pretty sure some of the posters here are devoted fans.

I thought it was hilarious too. I will forever after think of Dany as "the blondest girl in the world."

"I'm biased against Rickon"

This one. How can you dislike a child character who takes up about five solid pages in a 5,000 page epic? Save your ire for someone sucking up page time.

Its not my fault you're part sasquatch. :P

If you have a problem with my opinion, rebut it. Attacking me personally reflects poorly on your maturity.

You are aware that mediocre is synonymous with average, typical, normal? It's not a bad thing to be. She's just not awesome, kick-ass, brilliant, etc. The people who say she is relate-able because she is a normal pre-teen girl are closer to the mark. I can grant them that. She's either normal or awesome. Not both. Maybe you think her story is awesome, then fine. But SHE is not awesome.

When people call Daenerys 'Khaleesi' like it's her actual name.

This! I know a guy that named his cat Khaleesi after her because he was convinced it was her name, he'd only watched the show though. But I was reading GoT today during lunch at work and someone asked me if it was based on the television show. I responded my giving them the crazy eye.

If you have a problem with my opinion, rebut it. Attacking me personally reflects poorly on your maturity.

You are aware that mediocre is synonymous with average, typical, normal? It's not a bad thing to be. She's just not awesome, kick-ass, brilliant, etc. The people who say she is relate-able because she is a normal pre-teen girl are closer to the mark. I can grant them that. She's either normal or awesome. Not both. Maybe you think her story is awesome, then fine. But SHE is not awesome.

You still haven't shaved.

This! I know a guy that named his cat Khaleesi after her because he was convinced it was her name, he'd only watched the show though. But I was reading GoT today during lunch at work and someone asked me if it was based on the television show. I responded my giving them the crazy eye.

Actually, Khaleesi is a great name for a cat.

'Martin promotes slavery because Dany didn't bring about a flawless system after abolition'

Imagine making a ten page thread about that.

Haha people get crazy with this shit.

I had a friend tell me that AFFC was their favorite, which is fine, but also that she didn't care for ASOS. More surprising than dumb but still a little dumb in my eyes. Also a relative said the writing was a little too simple...whatever that means.

You still haven't shaved.

You still havent refuted his point. :)

The Khaleesi thing: My mum thought that was her name too. It seems most people who only watch the show, dont hear her name very often. I had to tell my mum that her name was Daenerys and Khaleesi is her title among the Dothraki.

"There are no 100% white and 100% black characters in ASOIAF". That line (or compatible) randomly pops out on this forum since always. Its persistence makes it infuriating.

Archived