Dumbest things you've heard about ASOIAF

Angmar

You would absolutely not believe how many Americans cannot read or write. The statistics lie. People do not admit it. It is very disturbing.

This is such a disturbingly false accusation that there is no way it doesn't make this thread better.

From friends who saw the show and are now catching up on the books but havn't finished aCoK or started ASoS

"Season 2 of the show was awesome!"

"I really liked Theon's speech in Winterfell"

"Tallisa is a cool character"

"To many bad things have happened to the Starks, i'm so happy that Robb found love. I'm glad good things are happening to them for a change"

I could not believe that someone said that cat only loved robb and sansa. I couldnt even respond.......

I really dislike the notion that Catelyn somehow hated Arya. That's what not what I got from the text at all. And the chapter after RW, all Arya was thinking about was getting reunited with her mother. So this notion Catelyn was horrid to the non-Tully looking children is confusing.

"Oh no, it's alright. I don't want to read the books cause then it'd be a massive spoiler for the series. And they're doing a good job, from what I've heard."

That comment had some shreds of sense after the first season, but now I believe that anyone who watches the series should also read Clash. Two parallel and completely different universes, one of which was utterly lame.

I'm glad that I got into the books and read them when I did -- between the 1st and 2nd seasons. The first season was a great hook and I probably never would have read the books if I hadn't seen it, but I'm definitely glad I did and consider myself lucky to have been able to close one book and just move on to the next. Not sure how people have waited so many years waiting for this story to unfold. And as far as the TV show goes, I'm now immune to spoilers but still excited to see the show. It's something to look forward to until TWOW comes out.

"I really liked Theon's speech in Winterfell"

I read all the books before the show came out (Apart from ADWD since I'm not psychic) and I really liked Theons speech. Yes, they stole it from Shakespeare and it wasn't in the books but it was a great scene and a great speech! Alfie Allen really nailed Theon.

"Season 2 of the show was awesome!"

It was awesome. I really don't understand the bitching about the series. Yes, they changed quite a bit but it's an adaptation, and they continue to capture the general feel of the books, which is a remarkable feet. I'm just glad we have a show that is this good, they could easily have raped it HP-style, but we get great actors, great effects, great dialogue and awesome storylines not the other way around.

GoT and ASOIAF are among the very rare pieces of art that complement each other, together they are better than apart (which differs from the HP movies for instance, the books were superior in every way and the movies never added anything good). I'll just give an example: It's nice to have read the story, it's grander and better (books always trump TV) and it makes the series easyier to follow + you can relate better with the various characters by crawling inside their thoughts. The show on the other hand and the outstanding performances of the actors made me sympathise with or even stronger care about characters I never really felt anything for when I read the books. After reading AGOT I would have laughed at people if they had told me that one day I would care about Viserys and Ser Jorah, yet Harry Llyod and Ian Glenn made me do just that.

Archived