Tolkien or Martin?

devoid33

This is a cop out, but I really don't think I can choose. I love both of them for different reasons.

:agree: . I would say that Tolkien is closer to my romantic side, and Martin to my realistic side

It's hard not to prefer ASOIF slightly, since it caters to modern sensibilities much better.

But it sucks to have to say one of them's better then the other. They're products of different eras, but both made huge contributions to the fantasy genre.

Martin is the better writer of the two and has better characters, which I think is because he has a background in writing scripts for TV as well as being an author.

As a fantasy novel Tolkien has created something more magical and mystical.

Martin is the better writer of the two and has better characters, which I think is because he has a background in writing scripts for TV as well as being an author.

As a fantasy novel Tolkien has created something more magical and mystical.

I think I agree with this, really.

The Lord of the Rings is fantastic, the overall story is amazing and it is literally the standard for epic fantasy; one of the most famous stories of all time. Having said that, I often find Tolkien's prose dry and tedious, something I've never found with Martin. Martin's writing is much more engaging and his characters much deeper and more nuanced, in my opinion.

I haven't read Tolkein in quite a while... and I plan on rereading it soon... but from what I can remember I was more emotionally involved with GRRM's story telling style. The only time I really remember getting a WOW moment from LOTR was a Sam chapter with him and a spider xD

To me a book is measure by how emotionally invested I am in it... so in this aspect Martin wins.

Martin creates amazing imagery and deeper characters.

Tolkien I think created a greater fantasy world, and some amazing action sequences.

Since they both have similar elements(dragons, magic etc) I would like to hear your opinion

I think Martin because he has a thin line between too much fantasy and reality unlike Tolkien.

Very clearly Tolkien; it isn't about length.

This is a cop out, but I really don't think I can choose. I love both of them for different reasons.

I'd say "gritty" rather than "realistic," but otherwise I think you've nailed it.

:agree: sums it up pretty perfectly.

Since they both have similar elements(dragons, magic etc) I would like to hear your opinion

I think Martin because he has a thin line between too much fantasy and reality unlike Tolkien.

Did my dissertation on Tolkien, and I have to say that he wipes the floor with Martin. I love ASOIAF, but there are no passages in it that come close to containing the same author's skill as say the Council of Elrond, where about 30-odd different and linguistically distinct voices are heard through about 7 people. Martin has some bad habits when it comes to cliffhangers, like AFfC in which just about every chapter builds to a cliffhanger (This is probably a result of him being a TV episode writer.) Tolkien has a much better understanding of how to build tension, for example in Moria where you keep hearing drums and other noises and then things pass. Cliffhangers are good occasionally but when used to the extent Martin does they end up deadening the reader to the tension.

A good example of Martin's repetitions and how this causes problems for writing is in Jon's 'death'. We have had this trick of an apparent death *so* many times that we know he isn't really dead, and it just is irritating. It's bad writing to continually use fake deaths, but worse to spend 5 books developing Jon's character only to kill him off now.

As for Tolkien's lack of realism...well COTF and Others aren't real. Tolkien smashes everyone on the grounds of "applicability", which is how you can relate to lots of different characters in different ways. One of Tolkien's points is how 'realism' isn't enough to address and portray the sheer horror and evil he encountered in WWI trenches...but this last paragraph is a topic for an 8000-word essay...

Tolkien is, for me, when you take a step back and really look at their works, the much more skilful writer and has at least three different levels to his middle-earth mythology. But I do love Martin, even if we massively overrate him as an author on here.

Archived