Who will sit the iron throne next?

The White Fish

So I'm on my second read through of the series and it just occured to me that Tommen is still sitting the throne but everyone around him is coming to their end, so within tWoW it wouldnt surprise me if a throne change may occur? I mean, Tywin is dead at the hands of Tyrion, with Tyrion himself fleeing following the fact he would soon be dead otherwise, so Tommens two best hopes of succeeding are gone. Cersei has to come to an end soon surely? She has lost the plot. And Kevan has also died at the end of ADWD if i remember rightly, some form of scheming by Varys.

So, to me, the throne is very unstable coming into tWOW, and it would be nice to see some contest for it seen as its been Lannister dominated since the death of Robert. With the Lannisters rule slowly crumbling, maybe its time someone else took over.

Their are a few contenders, but no one sticks out for me? Dany is miles away in a battle of her own. Aegon appears a good claim, but is he the real deal? And will everyone else believe him to be who he says he is? If so he has a good chance possibly, but then again, who knows? Varys obviously has some scheming on the go at the moment with his killing of Kevan, so he has some form of plans i think, and if i remember rightly he was involved in the saving of Aegon so maybe he plans for Aegons rule, then again Varys is involved in a lot and im never sure what he is actually doing, who he is actually fighting for.

Stannis still holds his claim, but he is apparently "dead" now following the battle within Winterfell. All of his power revolves around rallying the North to his claim, and whether or not they follow him i cannot remember. He obviously still holds some significance to the story, otherwise why would GRRM have kept him alive so long?

Guess i just want a few more educated views on a possible throne change within tWoW, and who it might be? Then again it may not even change. Tommen may sit and hide away whilst everyone fights around him, waiting for someone strong enough to come and simply take the throne, maybe at the end of tWoW or in a later book.

If we follow it in terms of actually succession then if Tommen dies then Myrcella and after that Kevans remaining sons. But in terms of power i thinks it quite unclear, Stannis is to faar north to be able to actually take Kings Landing anytime soon and while Aegon has the best claim (if he is not a fake as many think) unless both Dorne and The Reach rally behind him he won't have the army, if Dany isn't arriving anytime soon, which its likely, then I would probably say it will stay with the Lannisters for at least half of TWOW, after that who knows, if Littlefinger marries Sansa to HtH then he's have the Vale, North and Riverlands under his control which compared to the Lannisters/ Stannis and Aegon is rather scary.

On the throne: Myrcella, and when she dies the legal succession get's a litte weird, since Stannis is declared a traitor, and the Barotheon line would lose the throne (making it up for grabs by anyone strong enough). But I think Myrcella will be throned next, when Tommen dies, which would mean the Tyrrels lose their power and influence, and they would not like that. I think Aegon might get the throne next (we all know Cersei will outlive her children). Littlefinger is a wild card, but I think his plot will backfire (about time, he has had an incredible luck with his plotting, and I don't think he's prepared for failure, unlike Varys, whose plots fail all the time, but still manage to make sure no one sees what's going on). After Aegon, I do think Stannis briefly will be king, and fuck the Realm up royally. I'm not sure Daenerys will ever get the throne. Her role is getting the dragons to Westeros, and once she has fulfilled it she will probably meet her demise. Who will have the throne in the end? Who knows.

Interesting thread

I definitely see Tomnem dying at some point. I think they could scramble to get Myrcella to KL but will Dorne have already declared for Aegon? Plus Varys wants Aegon on the throne, which is a pretty important factor! Therefore i'm gonna say Aegon

What actually happens to Stannis's claim? I thought surely it would pass to him legally if Tomnen died, or is it legally out of the question after him being a trator?? Either way he does still have a claim, but i agree he does not have the strength to take the throne. I can see him sitting on the Throne at some point, but maybe only momentarily. Little crackpot theory: As he always soldiers on with such determination, i just have this image of him clawing his way to the iron throne right at the end of the series and sitting on it as Kings Landing goes up in flames.

Littlefinger is a wild card, but I think his plot will backfire (about time, he has had an incredible luck with his plotting, and I don't think he's prepared for failure, unlike Varys, whose plots fail all the time, but still manage to make sure no one sees what's going on). After Aegon, I do think Stannis briefly will be king, and fuck the Realm up royally. I'm not sure Daenerys will ever get the throne. Her role is getting the dragons to Westeros, and once she has fulfilled it she will probably meet her demise. Who will have the throne in the end? Who knows.

Agree with both of those points. As with Varys, whoever LF wants to sit on the throne is also a big factor

As for Daenerys, i'm starting to doubt whether she will ever sit on the throne as well, because that is what we've been lead to believe this whole time and i just don't think it will be that simple. However surely she will play a big part in the way the game of thrones is played towards the end. I'm not sure she will meet her demise, she certainly has a lot of people that want to kill her but i can see her being one of the most likely to last to the end.

Hmm, once tommen dies, Myrcella whille be the queen. Who she'll marry I'm not sure, but since the tyrells have severe problems of their own, I think they would have to bend the knee to a Dorne-Aegon alliance. Maybe Aegon+Marg and trystane+Myrcella will work out, Myrcella would have to give up her claim off course.

When Tyrek shows up, maybe he'll wed Arriane to secure what's left of the wersterlands under a lanister for the IT. I think aegon has enough sense to forgive the people who fought for Robert-unlike dany- and unite the largest part of the south

I cant see Aegon getting the Throne. Even though the Lannisters are on the back foot, I think Tommen will still be King for TWOW.

If anyone else sits the Iron Throne in WOW, it will be Daenerys. I just cant see her landing in Westeros, Pentos will be as close as she gets in WOW.

If we follow it in terms of actually succession then if Tommen dies then Myrcella and after that Kevans remaining sons. But in terms of power i thinks it quite unclear, Stannis is to faar north to be able to actually take Kings Landing anytime soon and while Aegon has the best claim (if he is not a fake as many think) unless both Dorne and The Reach rally behind him he won't have the army, if Dany isn't arriving anytime soon, which its likely, then I would probably say it will stay with the Lannisters for at least half of TWOW, after that who knows, if Littlefinger marries Sansa to HtH then he's have the Vale, North and Riverlands under his control which compared to the Lannisters/ Stannis and Aegon is rather scary.

If Tommen dies the Iron Throne then legitmately belongs to Stannis. The line of succession is Baratheon not Lannister, and the Iron Throne cannot be held by a woman. Now the issue is complicated because Stannis is "dead" - in which case the throne goes to a Baratheon cousin. Interestingly this throws the right of the throne back to the Targaryens or a legitimized bastard of Robert.

The most legitimate claim to the throne belongs to Gendry.

The most likely to take the throne? Euron Greyjoy.

I cant see Aegon getting the Throne. Even though the Lannisters are on the back foot, I think Tommen will still be King for TWOW.

If anyone else sits the Iron Throne in WOW, it will be Daenerys. I just cant see her landing in Westeros, Pentos will be as close as she gets in WOW.

The Tyrells will surely rally behind Aegon and the GC if they want to remain in power. They've always been targ loyalists and i cant see them disregarding Rhaegars son. I think Varys has some role in convincing them to change sides.

What comes to Daenerys, i can see her landing in Dragonstone in the end of tWoW with a huge fleet.

GRRM mentioned in the Emmy panel interview that

there will be several people taking the IT before the end.

I'm not entirely sure what he meant by that. It is possible that Tommen will die :crying: , and the next, and the next... or someone will take the throne from him/Lannisters, and someone will come to take the throne from that king/queen, and so on, and so forth. With only two books left, one thing is entirely possible, no one is going to sit on that throne for very long. Unless the throne still exists after all the bloody war, and a legitimate claimant survives the bloodbath caused by that, that person will be the king/queen when the series ends.

The Tyrells will surely rally behind Aegon and the GC if they want to remain in power. They've always been targ loyalists and i cant see them disregarding Rhaegars son. I think Varys has some role in convincing them to change sides.

What comes to Daenerys, i can see her landing in Dragonstone in the end of tWoW with a huge fleet.

Sorry, the Tyrells are in power now really. How does rallying behind Aegon surely help them remain in power.

The most legitimate claim to the throne belongs to Gendry.

The most likely to take the throne? Euron Greyjoy.

Edric Storm is the only bastard who is both nobleborn and recognized by Robert. Gendry has absolutely NO legitimacy whatsoever.

My guess is that Aegon is a red herring. I think that he will sit on the Iron Throne after Tommen, but not for long. The other people who might sit on the Spiky Chair are Stannis, Euron, Victarion, Mace and Dany.

Edric Storm is the only bastard who is both nobleborn and recognized by Robert. Gendry has absolutely NO legitimacy whatsoever.

Sorry, for some reason I thought he was dead. You are correct... Edric is the most legitamate heir if Stannis is dead.

Interesting thread

I definitely see Tomnem dying at some point. I think they could scramble to get Myrcella to KL but will Dorne have already declared for Aegon? Plus Varys wants Aegon on the throne, which is a pretty important factor! Therefore i'm gonna say Aegon

What actually happens to Stannis's claim? I thought surely it would pass to him legally if Tomnen died, or is it legally out of the question after him being a trator?? Either way he does still have a claim, but i agree he does not have the strength to take the throne. I can see him sitting on the Throne at some point, but maybe only momentarily. Little crackpot theory: As he always soldiers on with such determination, i just have this image of him clawing his way to the iron throne right at the end of the series and sitting on it as Kings Landing goes up in flames.

Agree with both of those points. As with Varys, whoever LF wants to sit on the throne is also a big factor

As for Daenerys, i'm starting to doubt whether she will ever sit on the throne as well, because that is what we've been lead to believe this whole time and i just don't think it will be that simple. However surely she will play a big part in the way the game of thrones is played towards the end. I'm not sure she will meet her demise, she certainly has a lot of people that want to kill her but i can see her being one of the most likely to last to the end.

I don't know about the throne, but she will definitely go to the wall with her dragons and help fight that battle. She will likely fight Aegon too, but I really see the irony of Sansa becoming a Queen after all that happened to her. But who will be her king? I honestly have no idea...

On topic: IMO it will be Tommen--> Myrcella--> some serious shit with Cersei and the Tyrells--> Aegon--> Dany (she will win her fight with Aegon but leave it behind to go to the Wall)--> Sansa or whoever her king will be (Tyrion? lol, can't think of anyone else).

I don't know how Tommen is getting off the throne, but I hope he doesn't die a King. Part of me thinks that if Jaime can get out of his predicament, he'll take Tommen and Myrcella far away from KL.

As for after Tommen's reign ends, however it happens, I could see Aegon being propped up briefly. Maybe Mace taking it if Aegon doesn't stay alive long enough.

I DO however, think Stannis will get what is his by rights. After coming out of the North victorious, he'll sail Manderly's navy, march into the Red Keep, and take the throne.

Then he'll have a choice. Bend the knee to Dany, or be turned to ash where he sits. Hell, maybe he won't have any choice at all.

I don't know how the Others will factor into all of this... but I hope Stannis' rule will be one that makes you think he may be better for Westeros than Danaerys Stormbron.

I don't know how Tommen is getting off the throne, but I hope he doesn't die a King. Part of me thinks that if Jaime can get out of his predicament, he'll take Tommen and Myrcella far away from KL.

As for after Tommen's reign ends, however it happens, I could see Aegon being propped up briefly. Maybe Mace taking it if Aegon doesn't stay alive long enough.

I DO however, think Stannis will get what is his by rights. After coming out of the North victorious, he'll sail Manderly's navy, march into the Red Keep, and take the throne.

Then he'll have a choice. Bend the knee to Dany, or be turned to ash where he sits. Hell, maybe he won't have any choice at all.

I don't know how the Others will factor into all of this... but I hope Stannis' rule will be one that makes you think he may be better for Westeros than Danaerys Stormbron.

Selyse dies. Stannis marries Dany. Problem solved. No but seriously that would be really weird. I hope you're right about Stannis getting the Throne but I'm really getting the vibe that he won't...

Archived