Who will sit the iron throne next?

The White Fish

I'd like to see Tommen's death finally bring the Tyrells and Martells to war with one another. The Martells would try to use Myrcella for power, while I could see Margaery doing something delightfully wicked, like claiming that Tommen consummated the marriage and that she is pregnant with his heir. I doubt it, as Dorne will likely just support Aegon and enter the war that way, whereas the Tyrells will just say to hell with any legitimate claim and try to keep the throne themselves, but oh well.

The funniest prospect: what will happen to Cersei once both her children are dead and she's outnumbered by the power hungry Tyrells. Should be great, the only people she has are Qyburn and Robert Strong, and I don't think Qyburn will stay faithful when he knows Cersei has no way out. Should be hilarious when everything and everyone she loves leaves her. Or sad... Poor Cersei :(

Aegon's claim is stronger than anyone else's. I can't see GRRM introducing him and having him be defeated easily. I think it's highly likely Tommen may meet an unfortunate end once Dorne joins forces with Aegon and marches on KL. It all depends on who you're betting on between the Tyrells vs. the Martells. My money is on Dorne, especially with the chaos that is likely to ensue after the end of ADWD.

Then the question becomes how are things resolved in the North. Clearly everybody in the North is going to fall, unless Dany swoops in with her dragons to defeat the White walkers. Depending on how that conflict works out, there might be someone else on the Iron Throne, perhaps Stannins (I could see him betraying Melisandre and aligning himself somehow with the Whitewalkers). Ultimately I think it will be Dany and her husband who sit on the throne at the end, and I don't think that will be Jon, or a Greyjoy, I think it will be Tyrion.

So I'm thinking Tommen --> Aegon --> ? --> Dany+Tyrion or Tyrion alone.

If there is going to be several people taking the iron throne before the end, I'm guessing Tommen will die early in the next book. Stannis will gleefully waltz into KL and take the iron throne...and die within an ironically short amount of time. Like a day or something. Then Aegon will take the throne back to the Targaryen family by right of conquest, and die in some way where Dany or Jon are named heir. And in the end Jon will have an heir of his own to cap the series with.

Aegon is the best to be sitting the iron throne by the end of TWOW. How long he stays there is another question entirely.

1. He has conquered about two-thirds of the Stormlands. All that remain are the Marcher Lords (Carron, Dondarrion, and Swann). If he defeats the Tyrell army invading the Stormlands, I'd wager the Marcher Lords swearing fealty and adding an additional 10k to 15k troops to Aegon's army.

2. Dorne has two fresh armies (one in the Boneway and the other in the Prince's Pass) ready to go. All agree that the Martells are likely to join Aegon (especially once they hear about Quentyn). This will add another 20k to 25k troops.

3. The Lannisters are a spent force. Their leadership has is in total disarray and their army has mostly disbanded. It will take time and leadership to raise another.

4. Varys is poised to do further damage behind the walls of King's Landing. I can easily see a riot or the Faith opposing the Lannister/Tyrells. When Aegon gets to KL, he may have nothing to face but open gates.

5. Many of the troops of the Crownlands did not fight in this war. In AFFC, we learned that they are still loyal Dragon men. I can see an additional 10,000 troops if they rally to Aegon's Banner.

6. Many of the Reach houses are still loyal to the Targ's. They fought for Aerys to the end. The Tyrells were raised far above their station by Aegon I. I can easily see civil war in the Reach once Aegon raises his banner above Storm's End. The pressure will mount even more if the Reach Army invading the Stormlands is defeated.

7. Aurane Waters is poised to be a major factor for whomever he joins up with. His triple-decker warships are just whats needed to take KL by force is need be. I think joining Aegon is the logical step for him.

There are so many interesting options here to choose. Please do not kill me for this idea. I am fairly new to this forum and love all of the opinions that fellow forum members have.

Jaime Lannister

Currently, he is Warden of the East (although Littlefinger and Sansa are in the Vale). And it could lead to a giant mess there if he chose to claim what Robert bestowed upon him. The lords of the Vale would be honor bound to come to his aid if he were to call the banners which will in turn lead to Littlefingers demise. It seems far fetched but so has a lot of stuff that has transpired so far.

Stannis:

This would take some work considering that he still has not reached Winterfell at the end of ADOD. And I think that he will at some point sit the throne. But not in this book.

Daenarys or Aegon Targaeryan:

I am really not convinced that Dany will sit the iron throne, although I agree that she will play a major role in who sits there. I also think that Varys and Illyrio will have a strong hand in which one will sit the iron throne Throughout the 5 books so far, in every book, there is a mention of " the house with the red door" . While she may have herself set for her eventual journey to Westeros, I have a feeling that her path leads north to fight the Others. As for Aegon, why would Varys and Illyrio be basically funding and supporting both claimants to the iron throne?? I think that if Aegon sits the iron throne, by extension, it makes Illyrio the most powerful player in the Game of Thrones. So in actuality if Aegon is king, then technically Illyrio (through Varys) is pulling the strings.

A Tyrell:

Margery seems to have some bad luck when it comes to marrying kings ( an unintentional black widow) as two have already died (Renly and Joffrey). Right now Tommen rules the realm and with Kevan Lannister dead at Varys' hand, all hell could break loose between Lannister and Tyrell. Especially with no true leader of the Lannister family (Tywin, Kevan dead, Tyrion on the run and Jaime currently not wanting anything to do with Cersei), a Tyrell victory could do wonders.

Victarion and Euron:

Not a chance.

And lastly, my pick to be the victor of the Game of Thrones (albeit unwillingly):

Jon Snow (Targaeryan):

I firmly believe that we will find out in this book that Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaeryan are Jon's parents. While it seems that he may be dead, I (like a lot of people on this forum) truly believe that this is not the case. I think that there will be some point when Dany finally comes North to face the others with her dragons. Jon Snow would be the blood of the dragon and a descendant of the First men. I also think that he is Azor Ahai reborn and not Stannis or Dany or anyone else and once Dany comes north Jon's sword "awakens" and becomes Lightbringer. Once Jon learns the truth, he will be the one to reunite the 7 kingdoms under 1 banner.

Like I said, these are my thoughts and opinions. Please do not flame me for these.

I think that Tommen will last until the end or close to it he has the tyrells on his side and they are pretty smart especialy ollena and since cersei learned some humility i think she return a bigger adversary to their enemies and help tommen cling to to throne for a while longer

Tommen: Dies early book cause of freak accident set up by Varys

Myrcella: She is either crowned or killed by Martells. Either way, she dies.

Aegon: Rules until Dany comes

Dany: Rules at the end or dies in fight against the Others

Sansa/Arya: Either one can rule with idk for Sansa and Gendry for Arya

Also, I see a couple people doing this: The Prince who was Promised and Azor Ahai are the same people. It's either Jon or Dany. Might technically be both if they get married. Reason i didn't mention Stannis is cuz i think he's gonna be the night king after the north dumps him for Rickon.

Is Rickon a possibility maybe? Maybe not in tWOW, but maybe in A dream of Spring, i forget his age but he cant be much younger than Joffrey was when he rose to power, and i believe he will have someone guiding him, obviously it wont just be him. Maybe Bran could even somehow end up helping? I mean i dont see much point to Bran at the moment, he obviously hasnt gone through all he has to just spy on people. There is certainly more to come from him.

Jon Snow is also arguably no long a black brother having been killed? Maybe his role changes (if he lives that is). On the other hand, i dont see Jon abandoning the wall.

The last book was originally going to be called A time for Wolves remember, highlighting a Stark success? Maybe its just wishful thinking after the Starks poor luck in the series, i dont know.

Is Rickon a possibility maybe? Maybe not in tWOW, but maybe in A dream of Spring, i forget his age but he cant be much younger than Joffrey was when he rose to power, and i believe he will have someone guiding him, obviously it wont just be him. Maybe Bran could even somehow end up helping? I mean i dont see much point to Bran at the moment, he obviously hasnt gone through all he has to just spy on people. There is certainly more to come from him.

Jon Snow is also arguably no long a black brother having been killed? Maybe his role changes (if he lives that is). On the other hand, i dont see Jon abandoning the wall.

The last book was originally going to be called A time for Wolves remember, highlighting a Stark success? Maybe its just wishful thinking after the Starks poor luck in the series, i dont know.

Rickon is either dead meat or Warden of the North. I'm hoping Warden because Ned Cat and Robb should be all the Stark deaths.

Still think Tommen will be king untill Daenerys turns up. But what if in desparation at Aegons march on Kings Landing, the Lannisters offer Euron Myrcella. Euron accepts & crushers the GC, is welcomed to Kings Landing as a Hero, kills Tommen after marrying Myrcella making him King.

Aegon will sit there next, and it will happen with relatively little bloodshed. I guarantee it.

While the Tyrell's go off to defend The Reach from the Greyjoy's, and a large host of Lannister's are in the Riverlands with Jaime, King's Landing is surprisingly susceptible to a hostile takeover. Aegon and Arianne get married and he gets the allegiance of Dorne; Dorne use Myrcella as a hostage to hold back any possible violence; and Varys will continue to stir the pot in KL - he just assassinated the Lord Regent and the Grand Maester, which is more than enough to send everyone into a state of disarray and utter panic.

Tell me it doesn't make sense.

Both Sansa and Arya could both claim Winterfell technically.

Technically they can, but there must always be a Stark at Winterfell. When the girls are married, if they do get married, they wont be starks anymore. Thats why I think it has to be Rickon. Sansa could have the Vale, I dont think Arya would want to rule.

Can they just claim it if all their brothers are dead, Or do they have to be married first?

I believe they can claim it after all brothers are gone.

Still think Tommen will be king untill Daenerys turns up. But what if in desparation at Aegons march on Kings Landing, the Lannisters offer Euron Myrcella. Euron accepts & crushers the GC, is welcomed to Kings Landing as a Hero, kills Tommen after marrying Myrcella making him King.

This would be hilarious. Euron is a real piece of work and I would could totally see him doing that. Sad to say though I don't find it very likely because Myrcella remainds in Dornish hands and they'd be idiots to give her up.

Aegon will sit there next, and it will happen with relatively little bloodshed. I guarantee it.

While the Tyrell's go off to defend The Reach from the Greyjoy's, and a large host of Lannister's are in the Riverlands with Jaime, King's Landing is surprisingly susceptible to a hostile takeover. Aegon and Arianne get married and he gets the allegiance of Dorne; Dorne use Myrcella as a hostage to hold back any possible violence; and Varys will continue to stir the pot in KL - he just assassinated the Lord Regent and the Grand Maester, which is more than enough to send everyone into a state of disarray and utter panic.

Tell me it doesn't make sense.

This is what I assumed would happen after finishing ADWD. It seems like the most likely course and is logical in my opinion. However, that almost makes me think that Martin would go another way with it...but I am probably just overthinking.

Archived