Who will sit the iron throne next?

The White Fish

I know this is very hard for everyone, but if 'many people' are going to hold the throne before the end, and 'when you play the game of thrones, you win or you die, THEN, I am sorry to say but Tommen is dragon food or otherwise done. Unless Jaime manages to swoop in, declare him bastard and swoop out, the little boy is marked for death. Not to mention the Frog prophecy. The miller's boys were killed. I don't think that Tommen is safe just because he is sweet and plays with kittens. :crying:

HAHA, it's not hard for me to accept, sorry but i don't care about tommen at all, his mother made him dragon fodder and his fate is to die soon IMO.

I think fake Aegon will sit on the Iron throne next he will be defeated by Stannis. who will take kings landing from there he will hear of Dragonstone being conquered by Dany. Jon will convince Dany to ignore Stannis and help him fight the others at the wall. Stannis will bend the knee to Jon accepting him as AA this will most likely take place in the last book . Jon will rule as king in the north while Dany rules the other kingdoms.

Hard to predict but still:

Tommen is on the way to exit already

Mircella is about to arrive to Kl - so she becomes Queen after the death of her brother

Aegon and Euron will be next - maybe each will hold the throne more than once up untill Danny shows up for Dance of Dragons v.02

I expect that at the end, when all the Main Good and Bad guys are dead the Iron Throne might be taken by some underdog, unexpected character (Tyrion is the most optimistic scenario, though it might be someone that stays under the radar for most of the series and then simply happens to in the right place in the right time)

I dunno who will sit next, but I sure as hell know who will sit last....the rightful king by all the laws of Westeros. Stannis Baratheon

The 'rightful king by all the laws of Westeros', brother to the usurper who broke the majority of said laws and stole the Throne? Quite a contradictory and ironic argument when the Targaryens are brought back into the game of thrones dont you think? The throne is no longer a question of the laws of Westeros i dont think, realistically its power which will rule, not rights.

I suspect that Mace Tyrell will try to take the throne, the Tyrells hold the power in KL and they don't need the Lannisters anymore, with Tywin and Kevan gone they are a spent force. Although, if Aegon gets the support of Dorne then things will get interesting.

I don't have time to explain my logic behind it, but I'm going to go for:

Tommen -> Myrcella -> Cersei -> Aegon -> Daenerys -> The Iron Throne ceases to exist and the Seven Kingdoms return to seven separate Kingdoms.

I wish Stannis could get a turn, but I don't see him dealing with Winterfell and getting all the way South before the power of the Targ claimants is large enough to prove him irrelevant. Stannis' plot with remain in the North.

I suspect that Mace Tyrell will try to take the throne, the Tyrells hold the power in KL and they don't need the Lannisters anymore, with Tywin and Kevan gone they are a spent force. Although, if Aegon gets the support of Dorne then things will get interesting.

Mace is already Hand and will likely assume the regency now the Kevan is dead. His tie to the throne is his daughters marriage to Tommen. I think there is no way he will allow his daughter to be executed by the Faith (I doubt she will be found guilty but who knows with GRRM). However, if he forcibly removes Marg from the Faith it will open the door for mass rioting in the streets of KL.

That is where Varys will come in. He can always reveal Tommen's little secret and pave the way for a marriage between Aegon and Marg.

I would like to see every great house have a shot at the throne during the series (some require marriages to make this work). This would require the throne to have a phase in the next two books where it changes hands every few months but I think it would be pretty interesting.

1. Targaryen's already have been on the throne. Aegon (if real Targ) and Dany both have a chance at it coming up.

2. Lannister's already have the throne. Tommen is likely to die and I doubt the Lannisters get it back after that.

3. Baratheon's have had their chance. Stannis could get a chance as well.

4. Martell's could get there through an Arianne marriage to Aegon

5. Tyrell's have it with Margeary's marriage to Tommen. If Tommen dies, we could see a Margaery marriage to Aegon as well.

6. Greyjoy's require a successful Euron invasion.

7. Tully's I'm not sure how to make this one work unless you count Sansa.

8. The Vale could get there with Harry the Heir, a Sansa marriage and their troops essentially being unused so far.

9. Starks have a shot with Sansa and also likely Jon Snow in the end if what everyone speculates is true.

10. I don't see how it's possible for the Frey's unless they have a random Frey marry into it.

I think the way to make this all work is to have Aegon not be the next one to take the throne as he needs to draw the Tyrell bannerman away from King's Landing by attacking the Reach so that Euron has an opportunity to invade. I suppose you could invert this by having the Greyjoy's draw the Tyrell forces but I'm not sure how Euron will take the throne without this opportunity. After that successive invasions by other forces could have the throne constantly changing hands.

Well, who wants to sit on the Iron Throne?

People who have openly said they want to be king/queen:

1. Aegon: has conquered Storms End and has a sizable and unbloodied army.

2. Tommen/Cersei Lannister: forces are relatively weak on their own, and in utter chaos. Sealed by marriage to the Reach. Who they hate, and who hates them. But, they are the actual king at the moment. Their path to holding on to power is to maintain the support of the Reach. Which, as mentioned, is problematic due to their mutual dislike.

3. Stannis: badass general, but probably has the second most desperate situation. Could be wiped out, or could ally with the North men and/or the Wildlings. Resolving this situation is his obvious first step, so I don't see how he moves South until this is done.

4. Euron. Remember, he won the allegiance of the Ironborn by saying he was going to conquer all of Westeros with Dany's dragons. He appears to be the only Ironborn who isn't a complete meat head, so he probably has an actual idea of how to do this. Given that he's a master of misdirection and lies, I think the obvious conclusion to draw is that the last thing he plans to do is marry Danny and use her Dragons to engage in outright conquest. Instead, I think it's more likely he engages in some sort of subterfuge to come to power since that would fit with his character.

5. Dany. Has Dragons and an army, but is on the other side of the world and facing imminent battle. So, like Stannis, I would guess her first steps involve consolidating power where she's at before moving on to take the Iron Throne.

So that basically means WoW will have three areas of pretty much immediate confrontation for the would/be Rulers:

1. Stannis' battle in the North

2. Dany's battle in the East

3. Aegon vs. Tommen/Cersei in the center of Westeros.

Now, step back and look at the major powers not actually openly seeking the throne:

1. The Tyrells are nominally allied with Tommen, but hate Cersei. Euron is attacking their homeland. They were Targaryen loyalists, and Margaery will marry anyone, so I think there has to be a strong possibility that they sell out Cersei and Tommen and defect to Aegon.

2. The Dornish don't really like the Tyrells, but they also have few seeming ties to the Lannisters, and ties of loyalty and kinship to Aegon. It seems to me it would also be quite easy for them to either continue to sit out and save their strength or cast their lot with Aegon. Likely they can do the latter without wasting a lot of strength because it would appear that if the Tyrells side with Aegon, there wouldn't be much of a fight in the first place.

3. The Vale and Littlefinger are in similar position as the Dornish. Why jump into the fight and waste your strength when you could sit back and see who wins the slugout between Aegon and Tommen? They stand in a position to be basically neutral in the conflict and make peace with whomever wins. They certainly don't yet have any reason to get involved in Stannis' or Dany's battle

4. The Northmen and the Wildlings both have seeming plans for themselves, both don't like each other, and both have ambiguous loyalties to both House Bolton and Stannis, who are about to do battle. So That'll unfold in the North, but probably not yet play any role in the Aegon vs. Lannister battle.

5. I think the Freys have too many problems and too little inclination to come to anyone's aid. So they stay put for the time being too.

But wait, we've totally left out Euron? What's he up to?

Well, as I've laid out, I think he plans to gain power in some way via subterfuge. So where are the openings for him to go about this? I don't see any possibility of him allying with Stannis, the Dornish, the Vale, and definitely not the Tyrells since he's busy sending his pirates to attack them. Likewise, I've laid out why I think a Tyrell/Aegon alliance is likely.

So what's going to happen is the Tyrells will join with Aegon. Cersei will flee (with or without Tommen, and under what circumstances surrounding her trial will be interesting) and find common purpose somehow with Euron. Perhaps Euron sacks High Garden while the majority of the Tyrell forces are at King's Landing? Or perhaps the Tyrells send all their forces to protect their homeland while the Ironborn and Lannisters invest Kings Landing? Or if they don't, the Ironborn reinforcements are probably definitely enough to keep the Tyrells from totally destroying the Lannisters. Of course, the cost of this is that Euron will likely totally dominate Cersei and take control of the Westerlands.

This doesn't immediately get Euron on the Iron Throne, but it does secure him a beech head and control of the richest land in Westeros. That seems like a good first step for him, and he can hope everyone else busies themselves killing each other while he gains strength.

So I think the next King to actually sit on the throne will likely be Aegon, with Tommen dead or fleeing and Euron ultimately strengthening his position. On the other hand, I see an outside chance it could be Euron, if he somehow allies with Cersei, hurts the Reach, and reinforces Kings Landing before Aegon/Tyrells can overpower him. In that case though, I'd guess his reign is pretty short, since pretty much everyone will fight him and he doesn't have strong armies of his own.

Cersei and Euron... Hmmm... That's scary/interesting... But we still need her to be strangled. I think her days are done, tbh. The Tyrell's might stay especially if they marry the black widow to Aegon. Then maybe she can stop playing at virginity.

Hahaha, yeah that sounds about right, I love Margery on the show already, she will be a great character for the next several seasons. also they reasigned for season 4!! yay!!!

What if margery is forced to marry Euron next, yikes!! I feel like most people on here are right, except I don't think Mycella will get a shot, she will be holed up in Dorne for who knows how long.

Hahaha, yeah that sounds about right, I love Margery on the show already, she will be a great character for the next several seasons. also they reasigned for season 4!! yay!!!

What if margery is forced to marry Euron next, yikes!! I feel like most people on here are right, except I don't think Mycella will get a shot, she will be holed up in Dorne for who knows how long.

If Myrcella is even still alive... I'm not convinced she didn't already bite the dust and it was her double shown in bandages.

Archived