Who will sit the iron throne next?

The White Fish

I kind of want Stannis to get the throne based on all the hardship he has been through, i mean he isnt a bad guy and he does have a genuine claim if youre not taking Targaryens into it, but he is just so emotionless. He's like a rock, no initiative in my eyes, only what is right and wrong. Robert was the opposite end of the spectrum, too much personality to be a true king and rule fairly. He did whatever he wanted.

I cant see anyone fit to rule at the moment. Yes Stannis would rule fairly, but would the people follow his ruling? Yes the people would probably love Dany, but is she ready for the responsibility? Her efforts at being a queen so far make me think otherwise.

You know, I'm getting a bit tired of this "claim to the throne", that's not how it has been on Westeros. The Targaryens took it, Robert took it and then the Lannisters took it. How many of them actually had legit claims on it? Stannis will have a legitamate claim once he defeats the Lannisters and sits on the throne.

I kind of want Stannis to get the throne based on all the hardship he has been through, i mean he isnt a bad guy and he does have a genuine claim if youre not taking Targaryens into it, but he is just so emotionless. He's like a rock, no initiative in my eyes, only what is right and wrong. Robert was the opposite end of the spectrum, too much personality to be a true king and rule fairly. He did whatever he wanted.

I cant see anyone fit to rule at the moment. Yes Stannis would rule fairly, but would the people follow his ruling? Yes the people would probably love Dany, but is she ready for the responsibility? Her efforts at being a queen so far make me think otherwise.

That's where you (and nearly everyone) is wrong. Dany is a horrible queen OF WESTEROS. All she did in Meereen she did for her people, her children. All the choices she's made: staying to rule, locking up her dragons, marrying Hizdahar zo Douchebag, making "peace" with Yunkai- she did it because it was the best thing she could do at the time FOR HER CHILDREN.

Yes, to us she is just wasting time. Yes, some of her ADWD chapters were agonizingly boring. Yes, she isn't perfect per say (she slept with Daario, yuck) but after the experience she will gain at Meereen, she will definitely be a good queen because she has the people in mind and that's the only thing that matters. In that sense she would be much better than any of the other contenders including Stannis (who is too tough with his justice and quite frankly unthoughtful- as much as I love him).

But honestly I just want her to get to Westeros, cleanse the living shit that is Aegon from it and get going to the Wall because her Dragons will be very useful :)

You know, I'm getting a bit tired of this "claim to the throne", that's not how it has been on Westeros. The Targaryens took it, Robert took it and then the Lannisters took it. How many of them actually had legit claims on it? Stannis will have a legitamate claim once he defeats the Lannisters and sits on the throne.

To counter that: if the Greyjoys take the IT would you not be pissed out of your mind? We don't want someone that came out of nowhere to become the king/queen.

That's where you (and nearly everyone) is wrong. Dany is a horrible queen OF WESTEROS. All she did in Meereen she did for her people, her children. All the choices she's made: staying to rule, locking up her dragons, marrying Hizdahar zo Douchebag, making "peace" with Yunkai- she did it because it was the best thing she could do at the time FOR HER CHILDREN.

Yes, to us she is just wasting time. Yes, some of her ADWD chapters were agonizingly boring. Yes, she isn't perfect per say (she slept with Daario, yuck) but after the experience she will gain at Meereen, she will definitely be a good queen because she has the people in mind and that's the only thing that matters. In that sense she would be much better than any of the other contenders including Stannis (who is too tough with his justice and quite frankly unthoughtful- as much as I love him).

I suppose youre right, her experiences can only be beneficial, but i think Dany has dug herself into a bit of a rut towards the end of ADWD. She claimed she couldnt leave and had to be queen so that she could care for her children, to save the city from slavery and protect her free citizens, but how can she leave now? If she leaves, she goes back on herself and her protection is a waste, Mereen will fall back into its old ways, making her entire ADWD story a bit of a waste of time other than gaining experience. If she stays on the other hand and fights for Mereen, well she loses Westeros.

I don't mind Stannis taking and sitting on the IT, but realistically, he's very far from it and there are so many obstacles on the way to it. He must survive his battle againsts the Boltons first and gain the full support of the Northmen (who by the way, still love the Starks). And if he wins that battle, he will march down south and the Freys will probably welcome him with a big bang. And if he survives the Freys, he will finally march down to King's Landing and face the combined forces of Lannisters/Tyrells, again! But if someone else is ruling there, let's say Aegon, he will fight the Golden Company and whatever Great House(s) that allied with the new king.

Aside from those bloody fight he must survive, there is also the threat of winter (and the Others). He is already losing some men: there are those who are starving and dying, and some eating their dead just to survive, but he burns them. Stannis is also a very dutiful when it comes to the realm, and if he learn that the Others manage to move south, he'll probably go fight them, too. I just hope he won't meet his end too soon. He deserves the IT, imo, but it's just too complicated.

Lets remember Vary's little riddle to Tyrion early on the series about the priest the rich man and the king and the swwordsman....who truly had the power....his answer was that power resides in the person that people truly thought had the power...or something along those lines.....who will the high lords believe in come WOW....Most despise Stannis ...though he is trying his best to win over the north.....much of Tommens power base lies with the Tyrells especially after Twin died......and Aegon and Dany ...well they have a long way to go to try and win the poeple back to their cause.....who will the people follow?? Who do the people believe the power resides with???? and who can consolidate that power and take the iron throne....it's obvious at this point that succession means little .....whos to say the next king won't toss away the monarchy and begin the new republic of westeros.....just a thought....

Marcylla, if she survives and makes it back to Kings Landing, then Aegon will take it by conquest and then,... Dany by Conquest but it is safe to say that she will not be on it in the end. GRRM has already stated in his EMMY group interview that there WILL be someone on the Iron Throne in the end.

I suppose youre right, her experiences can only be beneficial, but i think Dany has dug herself into a bit of a rut towards the end of ADWD. She claimed she couldnt leave and had to be queen so that she could care for her children, to save the city from slavery and protect her free citizens, but how can she leave now? If she leaves, she goes back on herself and her protection is a waste, Mereen will fall back into its old ways, making her entire ADWD story a bit of a waste of time other than gaining experience. If she stays on the other hand and fights for Mereen, well she loses Westeros.

Yes, it is a problem. Hopefully the whole damned place gets burned to the ground. Also, if Rhaegal and Viserion get stolen by Vic that should be great motivation to pursue him back to Westeros, her people be damned.

i cant see stannis getting the throne at any point as he's stranded in the north an i assume he will be for some time, also im not sure that he could gain enough of a force to take KL anymore.. i'd love gendry to get legitimized and claim it somehow but i think thats just wishful thinking.. my money is on aegon as i dont see dany reaching westeros any time soon if at all

The way I see it working out is with Aegon sitting on the IT despite how few people would enjoy the outcome. Throughout the series we've seen the violence and destruction that arises from men/women seeking their rightful claim. GRRM has also voiced his frustration with 'good people' and not necessarily 'good rulers' taking the throne in order to wrap up the story ( "I'd like to see Aragon's policy of taxation" haha). The one who ends up on the throne will not be someone we like but someone who will do a good job. I see the conclusion as being one where the other characters have to take a step back and except the ruler they have, regardless of claim and unite behind the 'shadow on the wall' in order to defeat the shadow raising beyond the wall. I think this will be Faegon/Aegon (not that it matters in my opinion.

Side note: look what happened when poor Ned tried to question Joffery's legitimacy! A shit storm of swords. Could the characters not learn from Ned naive example?

But honestly I just want her to get to Westeros, cleanse the living shit that is Aegon from it and get going to the Wall because her Dragons will be very useful :)

:cheers:

I don't know why she is given such a hard time, she had to marry that d-bag, what other choices did she have right then, she wqas trying to save lives, she fell on her sword to do it. All she wanted was to lie in bed with Daario all day but instead she kicked him out and married Hizdar to save the city. I agree he sucks and I wish she hadn't had to do it but it was a noble act to save her people. And shit like that doesn't really go down in westeros to the same degree. there is no Harpy and slaver's in westeros, so now that she has all this experience ruling that kind of society, dealing with the likes of Cersei and Mace Tyrell is gonna be a walk in the park! Stannis......... not so much, wants he gets that butt on the throne he is going to be quite the hard contender to deal with. OMG I don't even know what will happen at all.

Once Tommen is dead, Margaery will temporary become the Queen regent. Then I assume Aegon will marry her or something like it, so he'll sit on the Iron Throne next.

Not sure if Marg can stay Queen when Tommen dies. She can only act as a regent if Tommen is unavailable. Or, if he dies but they have a child together, Marg can rule in behalf of that child until he/she comes of age.

I do believe the Tyrells will want Marg to marry Aegon. The Tyrells and Martells will have a showdown who get to ally with Aegon first by marrying their daughters to him.

Tommen will die

Myrcella will be killed by Doran after Aegon marries Arianne

Aegon will take the throne

Then it gets tricky IMO,

Aegon will either get greyscale, or be killed as a fake Targaryen by Daenerys. Who sits the throne next, either Daenerys or Stannis

Not sure if Marg can stay Queen when Tommen dies. She can only act as a regent if Tommen is unavailable. Or, if he dies but they have a child together, Marg can rule in behalf of that child until he/she comes of age.

I do believe the Tyrells will want Marg to marry Aegon. The Tyrells and Martells will have a showdown who get to ally with Aegon first by marrying their daughters to him.

Team Dorne!!! :cool4:

the false targ aegon will sit the iron throne at the end of the winds of winter, stannis with defeat the boltons and unite the north under rickon, which davos will return from skaagos, and by the time we get to the last book, dany will come to westeros to contend with a false dragon on the iron throne (a cloth dragon sawing on a pole amidst a cheering crowd) and stannis baratheon in the north, who is the rightful king of westeros and the only one actively aware of and trying to fight the others, and who therefore deserves to be the king in addition to it being his right by all the laws of westeros.

A Tyrell I think and then they die. Several of the contenders for the IT are either going to die or be pardoned by the next King. So depending on the compassion of the King at the time will determine who lives and who dies. Unless they die in their conquest of course.

Archived