College Basketball Tourney 2013: 60 down, 4 to go

Rhom

Which game? I believe Reggie Miller is working the OSU-Ariz game, but I just got home and turned it on so I'm not 100%.

It was the other one, actually. Though, Reggie Miller is pretty freaking bad.

Syracuse says "what of it?!" ...if they manage to choke this away after what happened vs. Louisville, Boeheim should retire on the spot.

A 2-3 zone would seem to be schematically easy to teach and Syracuse tends to flummox high powered offenses with it routinely. Other than not being sexy, I always wonder why they don't run it more.

Also, if Cuse were to manage to win out and with Boeheim being such a vocal critic of the move to the ACC, do you think he'd retire?

Also, if Cuse were to manage to win out and with Boeheim being such a vocal critic of the move to the ACC, do you think he'd retire?

Wouldn't surprise me at all, actually. There are rumblings that he might retire anyway. But I could see him trying to keep with the program through the move.

It was the other one, actually. Though, Reggie Miller is pretty freaking bad. Syracuse says "what of it?!" ...if they manage to choke this away after what happened vs. Louisville, Boeheim should retire on the spot.

Bill Raftery and Verne Lundquist... what, are you new to college ball :P

A 2-3 zone would seem to be schematically easy to teach and Syracuse tends to flummox high powered offenses with it routinely. Other than not being sexy, I always wonder why they don't run it more. Also, if Cuse were to manage to win out and with Boeheim being such a vocal critic of the move to the ACC, do you think he'd retire?

Syracuse is just much more athletic than most teams that run the 2-3. I doubt Boeheim would retire; I think he's just vocal about the move because he's a crotchety old bastard. At one point he was complaining about how watered down the Big East will be next season with the addition of such and such teams so he was glad to be going to the ACC - he was complaining about the teams that were replacing Syracuse and Pitt and Louisville. It was fucking hilarious. He just seems to be one of those people that isn't happy unless they're upset about something.

The Cuse looks great... But they looked good in the first half against Louisville in the Bug East tourney.

Freaking Nostrarhomus up in here.

Bill Raftery and Verne Lundquist... what, are you new to college ball :P

Every year, I just assume Raftery has retired from calling college ball, and therefore it must be someone else. I keep being wrong.

And in my defense, they're the CBS guys. All the hoops I watch seem to be on ESPN during the season; wall-to-wall Dickie V.

Oladipo is playing this game like he wants to get hurt.

IU just can't get over the 8-9 point hump.

Man, I hate tOSU.

I was very happy to see OSU win tonight. I don't hate Arizona, but I imagine Ralph was using he free time out just going, "hamina hamina hamina" and that makes me laugh.

Every year, I just assume Raftery has retired from calling college ball, and therefore it must be someone else. I keep being wrong.

And in my defense, they're the CBS guys. All the hoops I watch seem to be on ESPN during the season; wall-to-wall Dickie V.

Raftery works a lot of Big East games on ESPN, with Jay Bilas and Sean McDonough.

Raftery works a lot of Big East games on ESPN, with Jay Bilas and Sean McDonough.

Yeah, and I recognize Raftery eventually when I catch one of those. I thought I heard a rumor a year or two that he wouldn't be calling the tourney anymore, though, and it's stuck. But I was asking about the play-by-play guy on this one, which is Lundquist, who just comes off as a really weird dude.

ETA: Confused Raftery with Billy Packer for whatever reason. There's the issue.

Fred Hoiberg signed a 10 year (it's a thing!) $20M contract at Iowa State today.

So the media is now saying that UCLA wants Brad Stevens. We shall see.

Can we call UCLA a dumpster fire yet? Sure the coaching search has been going on for only four days, but it seems like nothing is going their way.

But hey, on the up side... I'm sure you'll all be happy to know that Calipari is meeting with number 1 overall prospect Andrew Wiggins this afternoon.

In other news, Coach Self was too busy to meet with Andrew Wiggins today.

Freaking Nostrarhomus up in here.

:lol:

So the media is now saying that UCLA wants Brad Stevens. We shall see.

Can we call UCLA a dumpster fire yet? Sure the coaching search has been going on for only four days, but it seems like nothing is going their way.

As I said, over on the SBNation UCLA blog; they say their top candidates are Pitino, Donovan, and Stevens. They're just setting themselves up for failure there.

I don't know that the dumpster is on fire yet, but I'd say there's an arson (named Dan Guerrero) around the corner getting ready to light it up in a spectacular fashion!

One thing about basketball is that its really tough to get people to jump just one tier. Trying to get a coach from one of the Big Six programs - UCLA, Kentucky, Duke, Indiana, North Carolina and Kansas - is just about impossible. The only one in my memory was Roy Williams going from Kansas to UNC, and that was an extenuating circumstance with Roy being an ex-Tarheel.

Its also really hard to get them to jump one tier, like from Louisville, Florida or Connecticut, and getting alumni coaching their school to leave is just impossible. Going back to the Kansas situation, Self going from Illinois to KU would be an example.

UCLA will get a good coach. Probably not the names they want, or the manner they want, but a good one.

Fred Hoiberg signed a 10 year (it's a thing!) $20M contract at Iowa State today.

I love what Hoiberg has done there... but they call the guy "The Mayor" for a reason, he's not going anywhere!

In other news, Coach Self was too busy to meet with Andrew Wiggins today.

:tantrum:

ETA: Orrrrr... I could be completely and totally wrong. I just checked over on Bruins Nation and saw a story linked from Fox Sports that says Stevens is working on a deal that would pay him north of $3 million per. Color me surprised if this goes through. Its about as good a hire as they could get and in about as fast and efficient a search as could be expected.

Wow, the mood in the office today... wow. You'd think half of these people lost a loved one last night.

I can understand. IU fans have been without a real odds on favorite team for a long time, losing last night would be crushing. I probably felt similar when the Wall/Cousins/Patterson team lost.

Crean's style of building a team could be good or bad here depending on what happens with some of the young players. When you take the long slow approach to building a team, then there tends to be a down cycle while you rebuild.

Well... this would be ironic. Tubby Smith is in talks with Texas Tech.

ETA: And this from Seth Davis' twitter account last night:

@SethDavisHoops: Source w direct knowledge says “absolutely not true” UCLA is in negotiations w Brad Stevens. “Highly unlikely” Stevens will be UCLA’s coach.

Now, all of a sudden... I'd kinda like to see Stevens take the UCLA job to make Davis look the fool he is! :lol:

The guy who sits next to me is from Indiana and went to the game. He came into the office, sent an email to the team saying he was taking a half day and is now slumped over his keyboard.

:rofl:

ETA: After Kentucky lost to West Virginia in the Elite 8 on a Saturday night, the new pastor at my church came in the next day and said "Before we get started... is everyone okay? You know; I came here from Texas, so I've done counseling like this for Cowboys fans for years." :lol:

Well... this would be ironic. Tubby Smith is in talks with Texas Tech.

He would be a good pick up for them, and it's always great when the conference adds another quality coach.

ETA: And this from Seth Davis' twitter account last night:

Now, all of a sudden... I'd kinda like to see Stevens take the UCLA job to make Davis look the fool he is! :lol:

Seth Davis exposes himself for a fool on a daily basis, so that would be nothing new ;)

Archived