My Prologue Guess

LordStoneheart

Forgot to add

1) Euron - who definately uses some sort of magic to kill Baelon and is some sort of Warlock

2) Malqorro/Victorian storyline

3) any of the Maesters in Oldtown

4) Jojen?

5) Anyone at the Wall whom Melisandre sacrifices to save Jon

6) In Bravos has to do with Arya and Faceless Men.

Well, I agree about Jojen, and maybe Euron (even if I believe in the theory that Euron used faceless men to kill Baelon). But I think it should be about a kind of magic that did not appear in prologues yet (only Others appear two times, and they have a special status we might say). This takes out: red priests (2 and 5) and faceless men (3 and 6). Leaving to the following list as "killers":

- Dragons

- Warlocks

- Maegi

- Seven

- Marwyn, ie: warlock stuff, maegi stuff and/or dragon stuff

- CotF

- Drown god

Is there a kind of magic we miss here? (and don't tell me "Aye, we miss Freddy Mercury"! ;) )

There are 2 very strong possibilities for the prolouge:

Grand Maester Pycelle: By far, the most logical choice. He has appeared in all 5 books and served so many kings the knowledge he has is unequal to any other character in the series. Mysteries that Pycelle knows about...Aegon V's third son and wife, the possible rapes committed by the Mad King, If Tywin knew about the purple wedding, just to name a few. A BIG CLUE: which occurs in the epilouge is that Pycelle is bludgened to death with bits of brain and blood at his desk. He is not shot with a crossbow. The logical choice is...Robert Strong...a being created by magic so it fits the death by magic prolouge pattern...kills a grand maester which fits the even number maester pattern. Hands down...Pycelle is the top choice.

Marwyn: Another maester,fits the maester pattern, I could see him being killed by a faceless man...and then the faceless man taking his identity. I know this is a repeat of AFFC, but I could definatly see Marwyn not reaching Dany and instead we learn a great deal about how magic works from him. I think we need to not look at who will die but what information we need to learn from a character we will only hear from once. We need more information about magic and Marwyn is the maester of magic. Who better?

Since everyone usually dies in the prologue, I thought it might be one of the boy soldiers that leave WF to attack stannis and dies or someone that went with loras and that he was never hurt ( I cants remember if that was confirmed or they just told cercei that so she would think margerie didnt have her champion brother to defend her)

The thing about prologue characters is that they are not major figures in the narrative. Varamyr had appeared briefly (and I don't off-hand remember if Chett had been mentioned before his prologue POV), but the others were introduced for the first time to illuminate an unexpected corner of the story - and then to die. I think that this argues against Pycelle, or Marwyn, Alleras or Darkstar. It's more likely to be a new novice at the Citadel, or a Dothraki rider face to face with Drogon!

My guess remains Maester Harmune - the maester who is accompanying Pyke to Hardhome.

Hardhome was heavily foreshadowed during 'A Dance with Dragons', but there is no available viewpoint character in the area. The rescue of the free folk from Hardhome is going to remain important going forward, or the failure to rescue them could also have ramifications.

I suspect that the letters he sent Jon will be very important for the story too - particularly the comment about 'dead things in the water' - this could have a major impact on Davos' story.

My guess remains Maester Harmune - the maester who is accompanying Pyke to Hardhome.

Hardhome was heavily foreshadowed during 'A Dance with Dragons', but there is no available viewpoint character in the area. The rescue of the free folk from Hardhome is going to remain important going forward, or the failure to rescue them could also have ramifications.

I suspect that the letters he sent Jon will be very important for the story too - particularly the comment about 'dead things in the water' - this could have a major impact on Davos' story.

The one suggestion that fits perfectly... If I was betting in a pool I'd put my money on Maester Harmune.

Garlan or Willas Tyrell. A Southern POV and they could show us how the Greyjoy's massacre the Tyrell army. And they could easily be killed at the end of the chapter since they aren't important characters (unlike Euron).

Garlan or Willas Tyrell. A Southern POV and they could show us how the Greyjoy's massacre the Tyrell army. And they could easily be killed at the end of the chapter since they aren't important characters (unlike Euron).

I would like it to be Benjen because I really want to finally SEE him again. His thread is probably the longest one in the series without any payoff.

But if he was the prologue character, he would almost certainly die. I don't know if GRRM said it was a rule, but all the prologue characters have died, which is a pattern. So, it would really suck for Benjen to come back after all that time only to die after one chapter. But I would prefer that than never finding out what happened.

The pattern of locations of the prologues is interesting, suggesting that the next one should be south of the wall. I hope GRRM surprises us, anyway. Imagine using a character that we know really well, instead of someone more expendable? Cersei during the trial would be pretty cool (although that probably wouldn't fulfill the pattern of POV deaths).

Yea I was thinking Benjen but that he would not completely die but be changed somewhat by the others something like coldhands has been.

I like the idea about Hardhome except it doesn't fit the pattern of North South North South North. It actually could be Ser Glendon though, with an attack at Eastwatch. Eastwatch is critical for food to the wall, and underestimated for how critical it is. Reason I don't think it's one of the Darkstar trio is that I believe Darkstar is working for Doran. Makes perfect sense. Darkstar was the informer for Arianne, he wanted to maim, not kill, Myrcella to make it seem like it was only his fault, he got Balon, the only one high enough to puzzle out Arianne's treason and bring Myrcella back to King's Landing, to go after him with his personal guard and a Sand Snake, who obviously doesn't like Balon for being ok with Trystane's murder. So I think Balon unfortuneately is a dead man walking, but he better take Obara or Hotah with him.

I've had an idea floating around in my head that it will be whoever is fighting against Robert Strong for Cersei's trial by combat. I think it could be an interesting way to reveal to full extent of Robert's zombie-ness. Like maybe his helmet falls off revealing a rather grotesque face, or he gets a sword through the chest but lives.

This could probably just work as a Cersei chapter though. Still, I'd find it interesting.

I was thinking it could be Jojen. This would allow us to

1) See what's going on beyond the wall

2) We can see what he's been so glum about

3) Learn a bit more about greenseeing

4) His connection to Howland Reed and his greenseeing abilities may allow us to see the events at the ToJ ? Maybe?

TWOW will start before the end of ADWD so in the prologue Kevan will be alive, Aegon won't have Storm's End, and Loras will still be "wounded" on Dragonstone. The prologue won't be from the POV of someone that sees an Ironborn invasion because we only know if little raids. If there was a massive invasion of Oldtown we would have heard about it already in ADWD. I think it's very possible that the prologue is a maester at Storm's End because Aegon's takeover happens far enough before the end of ADWD that it could sync up with the beginning of TWOW.

Archived