Who deserves the Iron Throne the most

The Black Hawk

I seriously don't get why everyone thinks Stannis would make such a great ruler. A man who can compromise? He'll have 7 of the 8 regions in active revolt within a year. Not to mention the fact that he sanctions religious intolerance whether he believes in said religion or not. Please, he's too old to change. Give me a ruler who's strong yet flexible in their ideas and willing to compromise to achieve peace.

And people should just stop defaulting to rights. Whoever wins it and can hold it has that right. Before the Targaryens there was no 7K, just 7 kingdoms all separate from one another. I don't believe that Stannis can win it, and I definitely don't believe that Stannis can hold it. Stannis doesn't exist in a vacuum of righteousness, so few ppl will stand by and let themselves be trampled on because he quotes what's his by right. If he could gain the support to take and hold the throne, then he'll deserve it. He hasn't shown me any qualities up til now that tells me that he can do this. He can't build alliances, he alienates himself from his own bannermen.

He has good qualities, don't get me wrong, but he's utterly ineffective at displaying these aspects in gaining people's loyalty. Their trust. If he were a leader in the modern military he'd likely be one of those unexplained victims of friendly fire. You have to have people skills to be a leader. He does this well enough on the battlefield, but he has to bring this to other aspects of his rule.

Everyone but Stan would muck it up, it's his by right and he is the best possible ruler. He can and will make a compromise when it's needed, he has the sense to tell what a man is worth and is thus capable of choosing the good guy for the right job. he isn't religious, so he would be tolerant to all religions.

Basicly the IT is about ruling the cownlands, dealing with foreign politics and solving huge problems in terms of war. The first isn't his thing, but he has davos and other loyal men to do it, the second would be okay, he has the sense to think beyond a first impression, would never make mistakes as getting the crown in a huge debt in peace time. For the third he was born.

What we are left with:

Tommen, probably under the influence of his wife his entire reign, NO GO.

Jon, has the exact same qualities as Stan, except for the power to change plan, to do something you hate because it's the best option in the long term-Stan sailing for Dragonstone in AGOT.

Dany, Lunatic, probably having half the kingdom killed by her monsterous dragons in a hunt for people who fought for Robert. Lacks the strength to forgive people-Jorah- and lacks the strength to hammer out a usefull alliance-Quentin.

Donal Noye -

And Renly, that one, he's copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day

:agree:

He betrayed his own brother so I find it hard to feel sorry about what happened to Renly. From the current candidates at the end of ADWD, Stannis is the best option, legally he has the best claim and appears to be the only one who wants the throne for the right reasons. That said though, if Jon Snow is alive and he is indeed Rhaegars legitimate son then he would be someone who could unite north and south and lead the 7 kingdoms against the true threat from the Others.

I seriously don't get why everyone thinks Stannis would make such a great ruler.

Because Stannis says so. The same reason people believe that he doesn't want the throne. Words speak louder than facts.

A man who can compromise? He'll have 7 of the 8 regions in active revolt within a year.

But it will be their fault, not his. Stannis is a cup of good clear water. He's a good king, it's the realm that sucks.

What about Rickon married to Shireen.

End result has to be

Jon: commanding the night's watch

Dany: either Queen of the 7 kingdoms or a smaller kingdom of her own.

If Dany isn't Queen it could well be someone we haven't met yet or i personally like the Shireen/Rickon angle.

Renly, like Robert had the ability to inspire loyalty in others - but Ned always saw him as a lesser version of his elder brother. Even so, him gaining such a large army in such a short time was mostly based around his strong relationship with the Tyrells. Being married to Margaery and doing Loras half the time gave him massive support from the Tyrells, so that was only reason really that he managed to get such a large army - what with the Reach being so populous. Because he was beautiful and the Tyrells are in love with image.

His ''kingly attributes'' are hardly present - experience in ruling? What experience, I ask? He's been in command of Storm's End for a fair amount of time, but he appears to have spent a lot of that time in Kings Landing as an advisor of the King. During the brief time he was a king he managed to do all of siege Storm's End, and he was dead before the end. His knowledge of warfare is limited by a lack of experience and his knowledge of politics is expansive ... but then half the people in Westeros are either strong military leaders or politically savvy.

My point is, Renly had nothing about him that made him special other than the ability to make friends. There are so many other people with similar traits across Westeros, but that does not give them the right or ability to rule.

Edit: Accidentally just posted the quote :s

I agree with lots of what your saying, however Rennly didn't besiege stroms end he went to lift the siege and at the same time was starving KL from a distance by blockading the rose road and moving slowly to ammas maximum support while his enemys robb and tywin fought each other this is pretty good military leadership to me. also he secured the neutrality of Dorn! and he served as master of law on the small council so I feel he deserves more credit than he is given!

religiously tolerant = We never saw him to have any extreme religious reviews. Stannis on the other hand....

Stannis is most likely atheist or agnostic. He isn’t an religious extremist. If you want to find one Baelor the Befuddled is the one you looking for.

Yielding and un stubborn = his generous terms to Stannis, allowing Robb to retain title.

Inspiring loyalty from his lords and people = the size of his army says it all really and catalyn remarks on how he inspires love from his small folk (see way he dealt with sleepy guard)

His generous terms? He had no generous terms. A older brother comes before the younger. He had no right to give any terms. Don’t forget that Stannis was the one with the generous terms.

A king must be a good King not nessesery a loved one. Aegon the Unworthy was love by smalfolks, so was Daeron The Young Dragon (who lead many people to death) so was Baelor the Befuddled the religious maniac so was Aerys at the beginning. They all were beloved but no one was a good King at the end of the day.

You bring Cat as an example? A woman who accused a child for being born and looked like his father, who arrested a member of a Great House without solid evidence, who abandoned her little ones to play Westerosi stratego?

Queen of thorns - everything she says i sketchy at best with underlying agenda's, who was she talking to, she said this after the Tyrells had join the lanisters. seen as she is the real power behind highgarden do you really think she would have oined with rennly if she thought he was so bad?

And yet at the PW there was this song about Renly and his “true love”… she joined him for the same reason she joined Joff. Power.

Noye - basses his opinion a man he knew as boy, he knows nothing of renlly the man post RR. what was it he said about Stannis again?? 'he will break before he bends, read Antigone by Sophocles if you want to know how that will owrk out

I have read Antigone and in Ancient Greek thank you for your suggestion. But who you are referring to? Antigone and her unbent will to honor her brother or Creon and his will to honor the laws?

Not to mention that we haven’t seen Noye being wrong.

Jamie - clearly biast as he is supporting the Lanisters and will be against any 'pretenders'

Not true. Jaime even if he is a Lanister he says that Joff is not worthy. So he is unbiased

however I have nothing to say about Glover, what a northern lord who knows nothing about rennly says 'he is not right' i take that as pretty solid damning evidence against Rennly's character. (jokes, no it is not I was being sarcastic)

That was a joke not a real argument.

At the end of the day you can quote as many people as you like but it doesn't change Rennly's accomplishments such as gaining huge support in a short space of time and his kingly attributes such as knowledge of strategic warfare, politically savvy and experience in ruling.

What accomplishments? His followers came from his relationship with Loras and because he was good to look at. He had accomplished nothing more in his life.

Really? Even Aenys I, Maegor The Cruel, Aegon II, Daeron The Young Dragon, and Aegon The Unworthy?

:agree: Not to mentioned Baelor the Befuddled,Viserys II and those who hadn't rule: Aerion Targaryen, Rhaegar Targaryen, Viserys , Dany and the pretenders Bittersteel, Daemon Blackfyre, Blackfyres

Archived