awful double standards >:(

Both great actors, both in weighty roles (for their age), both playing intriguing/controversial characters, but look what happens:

Jack Gleeson: “If you could, clarify that people aren’t mean to me on the street,” Gleeson says while relaxing between takes on the Thrones set in Belfast. “Nobody’s ever said a mean thing to me. Instead people say,’Are you okay? I hear you get bullied on the street.’ And I say, ‘No! Everybody’s been really nice.’” - EW

Sophie Turner: “At first it kind of came as a shock because people didn’t like Sansa; she isn’t a fan favorite,” says the 17-year-old Turner, who landed the role after her drama teacher encouraged her to try out for the HBO series. “A lot of fans that recognize me go, ‘I kind of hate you,’ and I’m all, ‘Cool, well, you’ve just made this sufficiently awkward.’ I thought I was being personally attacked, but I knew I wasn’t. It was all new to me.” -EW

What. the. hell. people.

Lol, that was weird.

If I saw Sophie Turner in the street I would just want to hug her. That said, I don't think the "fans" who said this to her were being hateful or mean. They just don't like Sansa, she said it was awkard not hurtful.

I'm glad to hear that Jack doesn't get bullied on the streets, he does a fantastic job as Joffrey and he only deserves praise.

Not that I would encourage what happened to Sophie, but they're very different characters. Joffrey is downright horrible, but he's fairly hilarious in doing so. He's the classic villain you love to hate. Sansa, on the other side, can come across as wet and uninteresting (not saying she is, just that she can be perceived this way).

Personally I really like book Sansa, but I don't feel the same for show Sansa. I always thought she was a difficult character to portray because all of her character development is internal so unless you read her mind you just don't see it, as she keeps a facade and she's basically a traditionally passive character. I think Sophie is really good in emotional scenes, but when it comes to be subtle she often comes across as whiny rather than conflicted. Not always though, sometimes she gets it right and it's great, but she's very hit or miss for me.

With this said NCW said in an interview, that while people are usually positive about Jaime, he got some "I hate your character" as well on occasion. So yeah, some people are just rude.

Have any of you seen the Nickolaj interview where he says when he was in Belfast and he was in a cafe and a waitor came up to him to ask for an autograph and started swearing at him, presumably he was talking about him playing Jaime in the series. Then said thanks for the autograph. Wierd.

I can't understand why anyone would abuse an actor/actress because of the character they play.

And, if they did feel that way, I can't understand why they want to abuse someone playing Sansa.

To be fair, this is simply the word of two teenagers. One is a boy who probably doesn't want the world to think he's a crybaby and all butthurt over some mean fans. Sophie may be more sensitive and may feel more free to address the negative reactions to her character.

Or maybe it is as they are describing it. Either way, there are nutbags out there that can't tell the difference between fiction and real life and that's something actors, authors, musicians and all artists need to deal with as they grow in fame.

To be fair, this is simply the word of two teenagers. One is a boy who probably doesn't want the world to think he's a crybaby and all butthurt over some mean fans. Sophie may be more sensitive and may feel more free to address the negative reactions to her character.

Or maybe it is as they are describing it. Either way, there are nutbags out there that can't tell the difference between fiction and real life and that's something actors, authors, musicians and all artists need to deal with as they grow in fame.

Completely unfounded gender stereotyping much? :rolleyes: So because Jack Gleeson is a man he would lie as to not look like a 'crybaby' (aka woman?) and because Sophie is a woman she may be more 'sensitive?'

So essentially what you're saying is they're both sensitive to nasty reactions by whackos but Jack machos up because he's a man and doesn't want to look 'weak' and Sophie expresses herself because it's okay for women to have feelings?

Ugh. Just.... Ugh.

And on that depressing note, I'm off to bed.

I recall reading that the guy who played the star athlete in Jerry McGuire (the guy who was later in Sliders) got an enormous amount of shit for it. "You effed Jerry McGuire, eff you!" and stuff like that. I don't think two datapoints is really enough to judge on.

Now I think you're being over sensitive

Yes, I am being sensitive. I don't deny it. I deny being over sensitive because I find gender stereotyping wrong. Everyone should find it wrong. I'm training for a job that is supposed to challenge beliefs like the one posted as it's damaging.

That aside, gender stereotyping like that has been a massive, massive bugbear of mine since I was a young child.

I think the majority of the Sansa hate derives from the fact that we all think we know better. While reading or watching we're all like "god, if I was her I'd kick all of their asses and just take the iron throne for myself" ... While in truth we'd probably be just as lost. How Arya deals with stuff, that's rare. How Sansa deals with it, that's pretty normal. Not the other way around. So yeh ... The Sansa hate is pretty inexcusable. Joff, on the other hand, is just an evil SOB so we never really level with him. In other words; Joff is a NPC. No matter what, you never get irritated by a NPC action as much as by a player's action.

The big thing when it comes to character popularity is while Joffrey is hated, he is entertaining to watch. WHile I love Sansa(both book and show) to bits, I can understand why some people just don't give a flying fuck.

But how that translates to the actors... I don't get why.

Lena, the girl who plays Cersei, got called cunt by some guy once and on another occasion she was actually SPIT AT in a store. She's actually stated that as much as she loves the show and working on it, it is actually making her almost as paranoid as her character to go into public. Which was actually a lolzie self-criticism, but still... scary.

1) She likes Justin Bieber

2) She uses #swag and #yolo.

I still like her, though.

Does she really? Haha

At least she's one of the few actors on the show who READS the books. Her along with Peter Dinklage, Nikolai, Kit Harrington, Emillia and Alife are the only actors on the show I know that have.

If I met Sophie Turner, i'd try to get her to add me on Facebook personally. Lolololol Doubt i'll ever meet her though, let alone be able to become her bestfriend. Hahaha

Another thing worth noting is that Sophie, Massie and Jack are all super super tight friends in real life now. Which I think is awesome.

Archived