[Book Spoiler] well gosh, that's a curious song to play at a wedding... huh? what?

I was more angry that there were no Robb POV chapters than the fact that he was killed.

I'm sure there will be people who stop watching regardless, but I think that if Robb doesn't fight back then a lot more people will quit, or at least be REALLY dissatisfied. To the point where it's "wow I never saw that coming!" or "wow I never saw that coming, and it's total BULLSHIT!"

Many people have posted about the widespread shock and awe of this moment. I'm not sure that's the way it will go. Even the people I know who haven't read the books know it's coming, its been spoiled on the internet everywhere by trolls. The guy I knew saw it in an ESPN forum about baseball. People are posting it everywhere. By the time it happens there might be a few people who are stilled surprised but I'm not thinking it will be millions or anything.

Most book readers like myself would love to see that moment recreated for others, but sadly times have changed. The cat is out of the bag to most.

As horrible as this moment was to read the first time (my book did indeed go flying out of my hands), I can't wait to see the epic, grisly horror of it put to screen. Not to mention the reactions of my friends and family who don't yet have a clue...

i know so many people who will be pissed at this episode

my friends have been wanting me to give them hints on what will happen but i havent even mentioned this just so i can see their reaction haha

I also think this will be an epic episode, and anticipate the Internet breaking if all the non-book readers make it through unspoiled.

Anyone think (or hope) that Talisa will also bite it in the RW? In the books at least, Lord Frey was disgruntled to not be able to welcome Jeyne when Robb and Cat arrive at the Twins (I.e. the old proud man is cranky he won't get to cut off the head of the little girl that made his family look stupid and stole the hand of a King).

I can't see a good reason in show canon for Robb leaving Talisa at Riverrun (and indeed, based on her headstrong doctor portrayal I doubt he'd prevail upon her to stay). And I can't see any future importance she could have once Robb is dead: she's from Volantis, even more of a "nobody" than Jeyne Westerling and of a lesser house, and its not as though the Northmen would flock to her cause as widow of the King in the North.

Many people have posted about the widespread shock and awe of this moment. I'm not sure that's the way it will go. Even the people I know who haven't read the books know it's coming, its been spoiled on the internet everywhere by trolls.

Speaking of trolls, I've never understood the urge to ruin an experience for other people. I had an incredible experience reading the books, particularly this chapter, and I wish for everyone to enjoy it as much as I did. What kind of pleasure is gained by spoiling major events for others? Maybe it's the easiest, and sometimes the only, way for some individuals to get attention.

Unfortunately, one of the major newspapers in my country featured an article about the RW on their website. The headline referred to the "most shocking" scene in the series, so I'm sure it was read by a lot of people even though it contained a warning. The sad thing is, in my mind, that GRRM and the show creators have worked hard for years to build up to this event, only for it to be diminished (though not losing all of its emotional value) by a hack journalist for a few more page views.

Oh well. Luckily, the people I watch the show with haven't been spoiled yet.

When it comes to the show's version of the RW I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. The scene has been highly anticipated by us readers for a long time, and it's definitely a hard scene to adapt. I'm not saying I don't have faith in the show -- I do think it's going to be a great episode -- but I'm trying not to think about it too much for my own sake. :)

Other than that ... I can't wait.

ETA: I didn't "enjoy" the RW; I enjoyed how it, and the book in general, made me feel.

I don't necessarily think that just because people know Robb will die will detract from the shock of it.

There's a difference between knowing someone will die and then watching them and everyone allied to them get brutally slaughtered at a wedding reception. It's the brutality that will define the shock, not who dies.

I mean, I'm gonna need time to recover from watching it, and I know the details already. Those are much harder to spoil.

Also, at least from the few people I know that have been spoiled (not by me of course), they only know Robb dies, not Catelyn. When I read it, I felt like more of the emotion came from her death. If they can do that right... I shudder to even think about. And if they play it as though Arya died too...

Speaking of trolls, I've never understood the urge to ruin an experience for other people. I had an incredible experience reading the books, particularly this chapter, and I wish for everyone to enjoy it as much as I did. What kind of pleasure is gained by spoiling major events for others? Maybe it's the easiest, and sometimes the only, way for some individuals to get attention.

Unfortunately, one of the major newspapers in my country featured an article about the RW on their website. The headline referred to the "most shocking" scene in the series, so I'm sure it was read by a lot of people even though it contained a warning. The sad thing is, in my mind, that GRRM and the show creators have worked hard for years to build up to this event, only for it to be diminished (though not losing all of its emotional value) by a hack journalist for a few more page views.

Yeah, it's usually for attention or so someone can feel 'smart' for knowing more than others.

I don't think the spoiling will do too much damage though. Yeah it's been around a lot, but first of all there are still enough that haven't been spoiled at all and more importantly...Come on, it's pretty much obvious that Robb's going to bite it, or at least something bad happens to him. It's the way it works that will really shock them. I do hope they include the guest hospitality thing, how no one ever does any harm after you've accepted bread and salt, so they get a breather thinking "Okay, not yet" and then - BAM.

Strange, I liked it when Robb died. I hated him for some reason. But I was shocked. But when Cat died :( That I didn't understand why she had to go. And sad for Arya, poor girl.

So for me it will be mixed feelings. When Robb dies, I'm: Yeaaah. When cat dies, I'm crying.

But still one of the biggest moments in the books.

I genuinely can't wait for this episode. Watching with 3 non-book readers (well 1 who's reading but staying behind the series) I expect their reaction to be quite extreme. 1 is a big Stark fan.

I have a really clear image of this episode in my head, hope it lives up to it - especially with Arya, that has to be the closing scene, just cut to black. I swear one of my friends was on the verge of tears after the battle of Blackwater because he thought Tyrion had died, I'm hoping this will have an even more extreme response!

That's one sure way to end up disappointed.

I don't necessarily think that just because people know Robb will die will detract from the shock of it.

There's a difference between knowing someone will die and then watching them and everyone allied to them get brutally slaughtered at a wedding reception. It's the brutality that will define the shock, not who dies.

I mean, I'm gonna need time to recover from watching it, and I know the details already. Those are much harder to spoil.

Also, at least from the few people I know that have been spoiled (not by me of course), they only know Robb dies, not Catelyn. When I read it, I felt like more of the emotion came from her death. If they can do that right... I shudder to even think about. And if they play it as though Arya died too...

Cat's death, and Ayra coming so close to being reuinted is just as heartbreaking, moreso than Robb dying for me personally.

I want the end of the events of Chapter 51 and Chapter 52 to be occurring simulataneously - like, we'll see everyone dying and then Arya trying to get in to see her brother/mother..and then the episode ending with her being hit in the back of the head so everyone thinks she dies.

I expected Robb to die as soon as Grey Wind started going all crazy and Robb made the stupid, stupid decision of ignoring his behaviour. Gaaahhhh. That + people talking about ASOS being really dramatic + Roose Bolton being a nasty piece of work + the Frey girl being pretty, meant I was extremely suspicious and expecting things to go badly.

But yeah, it was way worse than even my worst imagination. But really memorable and really well done in the books. Can't wait to see it, bizarrely enough.

Archived